• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming message boards..where did you start?

Jonnyram said:
Good times. Houjix? Whojix? *bumps head* Savoots!

Yeah, post troll era the place wasn't as exciting (although I think a few of the real vocal ones migrated here lol). The Red Steel fad was awesome though, even though it lasted 2 days :D

Then there was the the April Fools joke where CJay called the site XFaqs, the short lived XBox GTA board (where there was no such thing as a peaceful topic - it was like a constant battle between PS and Xbox fans), and that epic battle of Cloud vs Link

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Pojo said:
N-Philes. I was really active there and still keep in touch with quite a few people. I don't post here as much, and I no longer post there at all.

:(

I got started on the Emuunlim boards in 97/98 and branched off onto some of the other emulation sites I worked for (EmuHelp, EmuHeaven), and then made my way to N-Philes and PN2K/Planet Gamecube and now here :)

I actually had my own EZBoard as well, where one thread ended up with like 3,500 replies before it got purged

GoneGold

Was a really cool site which at the time was the best place to find out facts and rumors about releasedates and when games went gold. Joined up back 1999 I think.

It's gone now :(

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I started posting on Plasticman's Gaming & Emulation boards back in 1998/1999 with the name "Hugh Mann." Good times.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Started on IGN.

Had some username like scrow_01 or some shit like that (Scrow was taken). i tired of having an underscore and numbers in my username, so i made a new account with the username Weatherwax (of discworld fame).

Posted at IGN for ages. Got into the Gamecube Underground when Matt did a wave of invites. Joined the IRC they had for it. People talking on there often referenced GAF (no "Neo" back then) a few times. So while following the links once I created an account with the username Macerate.

Got sick of that username too, so I asked an admin to change it to Scrow. Didn't matter since that earlier iteration of GAF got shut down and moved to another server... and then another server... and now here.

Hmmm, I cant be sure but I think either IGN or OOT2D forums. You guys remember him?
That hoaxer Daniel Barras who claimed to be making Ocarina of Time in 2D. All he ever showed was a pretty crappy demo....

I remember getting the sinking feeling it was fake when It stayed at 90% complete but there were NO demos that showed anything other than bringing up the menu and slicing some weeds. Also every time he was about to release a "huge" demo his computer would crash or he would go out of town or he would get married..etc. It was ridiculous:lol

Although I did spend my time making one of the most extensive (though unfinished) sprite sheets of Twinrova.

Mik2121

Vandal Forums. Some Spanish boards that by the time was quite cool, but then it started sucking big time, full of 12 years old kids and trolls, and decided to leave (around 2002). Then IGN until last year, and now GAF. I stopped posting at IGN because they updated the boards and IGNBQ (a Firefox plugin to make everything 'cooler') stopped working.

Willeth

I started at VGChat, having arrived there looking for cheats for something or other. I stayed there for a few years, became a mod, decided I didn't want to be after a while, the admin wouldn't take me off the list, so I went rogue, chose a random thread and permabanned a bunch of people in it, one of whom got so angry he IMed me constantly and now he's a good IRL friend. :S

That place was completely off the wall but fun back then. Now it reads like a 4chan splinter forum.

Schlep

Timeline...

Fidonet - Early to mid 90's
rec.games.video.* - mid 90's through Dreamcast
GameGo!/The Next Level - Dreamcast through present
GameFAQs - Dreamcast only
NeoGAF - Just within the past couple years

To be fair, much of my time discussing games was and is spent on IRC.

Splatt

Probably some Warcraft III related forum. I'd like to think it was Dragonball Z Tribute (forum for a warcraft 3 map).

Ninja Dom

GameFAQ's Next Gen Gaming boards.

I used to call myself "Yes Indeed".

That was around 2002.

Jonnyram, CVXFreak, RyanWashington, Link 316, Nicolas23 were all memorable members on those boards at the time.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I started in Quarter to Three a couple of months ago, but i am not made for that forum. ;_;
I dont visit that forum anymore....
But my place is NeoGAF. :D

.GqueB.

Banned
Started at IGN. The IGN became the vestibule and I just had to leave. Place is a mess now. It used to be at least decent but now its just them trying REALLY hard to be like 4chan. Sad.

I was there for a GOOD long while though. Im talking 6 or 7 years. It still sickens me to look back and think about how much of my life I wasted on those boards.

But from there I moved on to 1up which I still love. Good sense of community there. Then I moved to gamespot for a week and then back to 1up because I hated gamespot. Then here for a day and then back to 1up because its too cereal here. Now I lurk on Gaf and post every now and again.

Kildace

Fohguild.org . EverQuest hardcore raider's reference message board. Stayed there for 6 years until I quit playing MMOs and went back to "regular" gaming.
Karana represent!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
.GqueB. said:
Started at IGN. The IGN became the vestibule and I just had to leave. Place is a mess now. It used to be at least decent but now its just them trying REALLY hard to be like 4chan. Sad.
What is 4chan and why they try to be like it ?
Sorry for my offtopic question.

Mario Kart Double Dash forums

I believe it was called mkdd.co.uk or something.

Then I moved to the Pixeltendo forums and then the ball was rolling, if that is a saying in English.

Nintendo's offcial NPS forums back in 1994 on AOL (though it was called a BBS back then, not a forum). They ran an interactive Metroid story known as Blood of the Chozo.

Various CS and TF Forums ---> NSider ---> Gamespot --> Gouranga --> GTA Gaming --> "Stop" Nintendo

Around the same time Vice City came out I joined GAF, never posted much. When I got back into gaming after a long break, I forgot my password and a couple of names later I am back.

vegee

Banned
I started with IGN back in 2000 or 2001. Got heavily into Phantasy Star Online and met alot of cool people...some of which I still talk to and are my core "gaming hub."

I still post there as "Vegeta187x" and I'm still an Insider. I'm slowly migrating to this board, but it feels strange to post when I actually do it, since I've been lurking for well over a year. This place has better threads and discussions and the throng of idiots that accompany most message boards are not as numerous.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I never had any appeal on message boards whatsoever. I started to lurk here due to an IM conversation I was having with a friend which linked here to NeoGAF so I checked it out. I liked it and I decided to make an account to participate on some of the discussions like three years later. So, I guess I started here.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
gaf.

they mentioned it on an old podcast i used to listen to (chatterbox) and i checked it out. i got hooked on the game talk and the rest is history.

KaosAngel

Banned
Fantastical said:
Gamespot System Wars. Those were the good 'ole days. :D

You remember Bad--Robot or ThugPikachu? I was in System Wars so much due to how easy it was for my ribs to hurt due to laughing. Then I got banned because some cow reported me, calling me a bias lemming. Poor guy didn't believe I owned a White PS3 and a Black PS3...even when I showed him pictures with my name on it.

Oh, System Wars...how I missed you so.

Jon

I started on GameFAQs. I was the guy who took people's questions seriously and actually tried to help them if they were confused with something. But after page after page of "MGS4 shuld cum to Wii" or "My friend says new Mario game in dev for PS4" threads, I figured there had to be somewhere better. And then I stumbled across this place.

Cahill

Banned
Hardcore Gaming back in early '95 (before it was Hardcore Gaming). I did a ton of work on the site for several years (loved that place). It's been dead since ~2000. There's a board that hgplayer1 linked to that's still technically running, but there's very little activity.

Neoseekers Thread of Fate board was my first. Then I moved to gameFAQS, sticking mostly to the boards of the games I was playing, then thankfully, a friend pointed me in the direction of Gaf. And damn am I glad to be here.

f3niks

IGN. T'was an interesting place to say the least. They had a good wresting forum over there but everything else was a fucking mess.

Timber

a Rare(ware) forum in 98/99

after that came some random clan forums and the Tactical Ops (UT mod) forums, but I only posted in OT there

in the years between that and GAF i posted mostly in music forums

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Schlep said:
Fidonet - Early to mid 90's

Another Fidonet user! Given your time frame, there's a good chance we posted/read at the same time. I was using Fidonet back around 1992-1994.

GameFAQs was pretty much the only forum I posted on before coming here (I was actually registered user # 3). Full of spoiled kids living with their parents, but I stayed for the game specific boards. I swore off IGN forever once their Dreamcast site was taken offline and ZOMGFLASH coated their whole site and crapped everything up so I never participated there. Never liked the layout of 1UP's site. And Gamespot and GameFAQs boards are the same now, so... yeah.

It's nice to be in a place where the first ten topics aren't a)off topic, b)RPG/CYOA, c)who's your favorite character in X game, or d)my mom told me to turn the game off, she's such a bitch.

ShOcKwAvE

IGN for many years. I posted under Akira283, starting with the PS2 forum if I remember right. I spent a lot of time on the PC boards once I got into PC gaming (and became an ass-hat in the process).

I just lurk there now. I only renewed my IGN membership because I thought getting the magazines with my subscription was a good deal. Except I don't think I ever got them and now I don't care enough to complain to them.

Top Bottom