• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: Gears 5 Is Arguably The Best Looking Game of All Time.

I’m running a 1080ti, i7 7700k at 1440p, and getting around 110-120hz on ultra. I would imagine a 9900k with 2080ti could hit 200hz no problem

he said he's running 21:9. i have the same CPU and video card as you, 3440x1440 will average 85 - 90 FPS on ultra

i did a bit of googling and i'm doubtful any single card can hit 200 hz in this game:

MultiCore

he said he's running 21:9. i have the same CPU and video card as you, 3440x1440 will average 85 - 90 FPS on ultra

i did a bit of googling and i'm doubtful any single card can hit 200 hz in this game:
You're completely right, I didn't intend to imply that I was hitting 200FPS consistently, and certainly not at max quality.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Oh come one... Crysis 3 is an incredible looking game, especially for when it came out, but TLOUII is on a different level than that.
It can look better in some aspects but its not really on a different level from what i have seen. TLOU2 will be one of the best looking games no doubt but Crysis 3 has still insane parts where its still ahead of most recent released games. The broken city level and the last mision are still one of the most beautiful renders i have seen in a game. The only thing holding it back is lack of PBR and newer tech that wasn't available back then. I mean look at this, the detail is insane
Crysis-3-1.jpg

That is not even the same thing (it’s a cutscene), as far as fluidity of the animations during gameplay.
Yeah the ingame animations are beter in TLOU2, i was just joking because the guy looked like psycho from Crysis 3. But the gif is the beginning of the gameplay part, its not a sperate cutscene.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I just don't see it. Art direction is still boring and technically i was impressed by other games way more.

This game is nowhere in uncharted 4 league, is not even close. With tht said I'm enjoying the mp. But ppl should post side by side gifs. Tht uncharted 4 gif alone where Drake is pulling pulled in the mud destroys anything this game can throw at it.

Last edited:
This game is nowhere in uncharted 4 league, is not even close. With tht said I'm enjoying the mp. But ppl should post side by side gifs. Tht uncharted 4 gif alone where Drake is pulling pulled in the mud destroys anything this game can throw at it.
Oh come on now. That whole sequence is almost QTE level.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

Interesting, the graphs in the link seem to be way underperforming though. My rig is hitting what they're saying a 2080ti is hitting. Actual gameplay is 15-30 FPS higher.

I wonder how much of this is affected by framerate....the more "cinematic" 30FPS vs >60FPS...thinking about that soap opera effect. But Gears 2 does seem to pack more punch in the animations/responses regardless.

JLB

Banned
How is that possible when it looks exactly like Gears 4?

and thats not a knock on Gears 4, its a decent looking game

but best looking of all time? huh....what?....Im assuming its just click bait to get ppl to watch their video

shoot, this looked better and its several years old

Gears 5 has hdr, 4k and 60fps. Not that the order looks bad by any standards, but compared to gears has kind of a generation leap.

JLB

Banned
I always found it stupid to call any game the best looking of all time. It's not like this is going to be the last game ever made, so saying it's the best looking game to date makes much more sense. But considering this is GamingBolt and they deal in nothing but sensationalist clickbait headlines I'm not surprised.

That's not to take anything away from the game though, it looks unbelievably good.

Of course those arguments asume best looking game of all time (til now). Graphics are quite subjective, but the same logic behind considering crysis to be the best then, can be used here. Its a complete looker on the x and with oled.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just don't see it. Art direction is still boring and technically i was impressed by other games way more.
But that’s entirely subjective, I personally not much in to Gears series overall aesthetics but I bet most fans are.

I like all the qualifiers people need "best looking game at 60 fps on console until the new Call of Duty releases maybe" let's just say it's not the best looking game especially after how impressive Control just was.

Shmunter

Dammit that’s disappointing. Typical current gen. High rez clarity but downgraded world simulation. This gen can’t close out soon enough.

Pc’s have been getting the raw end of the deal here with watered down physics thanks to console ports.

JLB

Banned
so does Half Life 2 on a modern pc

doesnt mean its the better looking game

Apple to oranges, considering that HDR implementation in Gears is arguably the best to date in any game, in Gran Turismo Sport level.
Anyway, this topic is complete subjective. Like some people like me thinks that Mario 64 was THE best at its time, and others think thats was meh.

Hage Kamo

It isn't just the pallet......Its the way objects interact within the game that set this back. The outdated animations.

Playing Gears 5 on a 1080 Ti. Also have Horizon Zero Dawn. Horizon Zero Dawn looks and moves better than Gears 5.

This level of detail was back in 2017:

For one person games only have good graphics and are commonplace. In multiplayer, graphics are degraded.

Last edited:

Ellis

When it comes to currently released games, disregarding art styles, and judging purely from a graphical showcase point of view, then Uncharted 4 still shits over everything that is currently available, and on any platform. Gears of War 5 doesn't come anywhere near it.

NeatoB1

Gears 5 is only the best looking game until the next one comes out and by the next when I mean The Last of Us Part II and that will be the best looking game until ghost of tsushima

A.Romero

Haven't played it but those pictures and gifs do look very nice. End of cycle games are always impressive and The Coalition seem to have done a great job with Gears.

That said, somehow I feel like gamingbolt is not really a good source. Isn't that the site that was putting out a lot of clickbait related to devs speculating about next gen?

I was talking to a friend today and he was explaining how he didnt like gears because its to linear. I was like honestly when every game now is open world iv always liked gears for not being that. Even the bigger sections in 5 reminds me more of metro or tomb raider which is a nice in between. Anyone else feel the same way.

pr0cs

I was talking to a friend today and he was explaining how he didnt like gears because its to linear. I was like honestly when every game now is open world iv always liked gears for not being that. Even the bigger sections in 5 reminds me more of metro or tomb raider which is a nice in between. Anyone else feel the same way.
As someone who loves sandbox games I think gears is best suited to be more linear. Certainly 5 thus far with side missions is a welcome change but it would lose its charm and sense of blockbuster action flick if it was a lot more open ended.
With so many games not focusing on single player or story driven games I'm happy when the throwback to games of the 80s, 90s and 2000s get released. Tbh it's why I'm disappointed we'll likely never get an end to half life because it too was part of that gaming style.

ZywyPL

Banned
Technically, it sure is one of the most advanced games out there, but artistically? Nothing... inspiring, should I say. It's like Gears (duh) with colors, lots of colors (which Gears 4 already did), The last game that impressed me (technically) the most was maxed out Quantum Break, which had more overall realistic look, whereas Gears sure have the mentioned tech, but the grotesque/cartoony character design simply kill the end impression for me. It's just another Gears, that's how I see it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom