• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gartner analyst: PC sales suffer due to flatscreen TVs and Nintendo Wii

cvxfreak

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2420

Gartner also noted that the US climate for PC sales was especially harsh: total shipments for the year actually sank 3.2 percent compared to 2005, with Dell suffering the worst losses as it gave up a staggering 17.3 percent. The overall market at home and abroad suffered in large part due to competition with hot-selling electronics such as flat-panel TVs and the Nintendo Wii, Gartner analyst Mikako Kitagawa said. PC makers were also forced to cut prices to spur interest in their systems for buyers who would otherwise have waited for Windows Vista.

I don't know why I find this so funny.

santouras

hyp said:
good, now make PCs cheaper so we can play ****ing games on them for once.
exactly. No wonder high end pc gaming is becoming more of a niche. Its crazy the amount of money that needs to be plonked down to maintain a good rig year in year out. IMO its no suprise that the most popular PC game these days is a few years old and runs decent on any halfway modern machine

PC Gaijin

PC makers were also forced to cut prices to spur interest in their systems for buyers who would otherwise have waited for Windows Vista.

Vista getting pushed back probably had a hell of a lot more to do with flat PC sales than Wii or TVs.

Avalon

Really strange. The PS3 maybe, but the Wii hurting PC sales? Come on. Cell phones, PSP and even the DS have around the same amount of internet browsing capabilities.

usea

Why is it difficult to understand that there are people who have $XXX to spend, and pick between several different high priced electronics such as TVs, new game consoles, or PC upgrades? It's certainly not a stretch to suggest that a console launch season where a lot of people go and buy consoles will have an impact on other similar luxury spending.

White Man

santouras said:
exactly. No wonder high end pc gaming is becoming more of a niche. Its crazy the amount of money that needs to be plonked down to maintain a good rig year in year out. IMO its no suprise that the most popular PC game these days is a few years old and runs decent on any halfway modern machine

Uh, you do understand that overall, it is MUCH CHEAPER to put together a decent gaming PC now than it was 10 years ago?

Odysseus

Banned
Avalon said:
Really strange. The PS3 maybe, but the Wii hurting PC sales? Come on. Cell phones, PSP and even the DS have around the same amount of internet browsing capabilities.

i think the items listed were innocuous examples of alternative products, not results of actual market research.

bigswords

santouras said:

Yup A high end pc machine, could buy me a wii, ps3 and xbox 360 and some games as well!!!!

DJ Sl4m

Borys said:
QFT

Neiter are Wiis.

Actually I can see HDTV's taking a chunk out of gamers who always want the cutting edge tech................................. but Wii ??? ............not so much.

White Man said:
Uh, you do understand that overall, it is MUCH CHEAPER to put together a decent gaming PC now than it was 10 years ago?

No, they don't understand. They are repeating the same tired, wrongheaded meme that they dittoed into their brains almost a decade ago.

Not suprisingly, they are also the same people paying full MSRP on day one for (quite literally) the same games Squaresoft and Nintendo made ten years ago.

Slayven

I would say WoW has a bigger impact on PC sales then TVs do. The fact that WoW's requirements are so low has to have some segment of the PC buying public holding off upgrading.

Avalon

Fragamemnon said:
No, they don't understand. They are repeating the same tired, wrongheaded meme that they dittoed into their brains almost a decade ago.

Not suprisingly, they are also the same people paying full MSRP on day one for (quite literally) the same games Squaresoft and Nintendo made ten years ago.

This is true, but it would still cost considerably more then simply buying an Xbox 360 (I use that as an example since it has the most cross platform PC titles).

But of course you wouldn't get to play exclusive (and much better in my opinion) PC content.

Deku

Banned
Actually here's the quote:

The overall market at home and abroad suffered in large part due to competition with hot-selling electronics such as flat-panel TVs and the Nintendo Wii,

So PS3, 360 are in there. Abort meltdown. Abort Meltdown.

Here's a similar sentence

Vegetables such as lettuce and broccoli are good for you.

Slayven said:
I would say WoW has a bigger impact on PC sales then TVs do. The fact that WoW's requirements are so low has to have some segment of the PC buying public holding off upgrading.

After seeing the kind of numbers that The Burning Crusade is putting out, I think it's safe to say that World of Warcraft is so huge that it pretty much distorts the entire PC market, not just the gaming market.

That being said, I can't help but wonder why hardware OEMs don't try to peddle their midrange products to WoW players. A PCI-E 7800GT or another 1G or RAM makes a huge difference in that game for people just playing on their one or two year old Dells.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, it just so happens that I will be putting that flat-panel TV to use when I build a new PC this year. :)

pestul

I can actually seen TVs cutting into it, as they are now taking gaming consoles into the HD world that PCs have owned for a decade now.

DJ Sl4m

X26 said:
In other news banana sales plummeted last quarter due to fierce competition with mops

****ing Hilarious!!!

Looks like Odysseus missed a great opportunity for the humor post in this thread.

Top Bottom