• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gas or Electric Stove Top?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gas. Especially since you are building. You can always switch to electric later, but the reverse is much more challenging. At least plumb for gas in the build.

Fnord

Gas.

I've always been saddled with electric and have always longed for gas. If you have the option, go gas.

Raistlin

Gas. Especially since you are building. You can always switch to electric later, but the reverse is much more challenging. At least plumb for gas in the build.
This is great advice. Up-front costs for keeping your options open is tiny compared to retrofitting. It also increases resale value.

I'd actually generalize this advice to most aspects of the house. You should really consider hardwiring a ton of high-bandwidth twister pair (Ethernet) and structured wire throughout the house. Preferably through conduit as that makes it far easier to fix or upgrade wiring.

This will effectively future-proof your house for whatever new sorts of techs become popular (home automation, whole house video, audio, etc). The great thing about twisted pair is it can basically be used for anything that needs a low voltage signal. Video distribution, IR commands, security, audio, etc.

jambo

i.e.
09ffe307-c5bf-4964-895f-71e3c3d011ac

Lived in a rental that had one of these and holy fucking shit did I hate the touch buttons.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm not sure why electric even exists.

I moved from gas to electric with my last move, and not only did I move from gas, I moved from gas to the SHITTY electric COIL shit. Not even the flat top.

Gas is basically an instant, even heat. Electric is just...uh...

Are there any pros to electric? Less of a fire/explosion risk?

Beefy

I'm not sure why electric even exists.

I moved from gas to electric with my last move, and not only did I move from gas, I moved from gas to the SHITTY electric COIL shit. Not even the flat top.

Gas is basically an instant, even heat. Electric is just...uh...

Are there any pros to electric? Less of a fire/explosion risk?

Electric coil is shit.
Ceramic is good, but not as good as gas.
Induction is faster at heating up then gas.

It all depends what kind of electric hob you have. But yeah a coil hob is really bad, it takes like a year to heat up and is a pain to clean.

Mr.Mike

Finally, a solution to my problem of overfilling all my pots and pans with ingredients and having them cook on the stove top itself...

Oh wait, that doesn't happen.

It heats up faster than gas and you can clean your stove top right after cooking.

But tbh, mostly I just like the idea of getting rid of gas stoves and ending the use of fossil fuels for cooking. Saving the Earth and my time, eh?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
It heats up faster than gas and you can clean your stove top right after cooking.

But tbh, mostly I just like the idea of getting rid of gas stoves and ending the use of fossil fuels for cooking. Saving the Earth and my time, eh?

I havent done research, but I really cant imagine gas stoves contributing that much to man's destruction of the ozone.

Mr.Mike

I havent done research, but I really cant imagine gas stoves contributing that much to man's destruction of the ozone.

I'm sure it'd be a pretty small on a per person/household basis, but multiply that by the number of households in the world (that use gas stoves) and I'm sure you've got a pretty penny.

TarNaru33

Banned
Why are people comparing gas to bad electric stoves? Obviously you go for an electric stove that is induction and buy the correct pots for it. It do not take forever to clean, heat, or cool down and it does not have a tremendous effect on your electric bill.

Anyways, it is up to you OP, but if you go electric, you should do good research into the one you want. I personally would choose electric over gas though.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I bought a house last summer and have a gas stove for the first time in my life. I'm never going back to electric.

Electric oven, gas stove top. Electric ovens in my experience seem to have more even heat distribution over the gas that my wife and I have had. But for the stove top, gas is the best because of the control it affords you. My wife and I just moved into an apartment that is all electric and it is killing us not having the fine control we had with the old gas stove top in our old apartment.

Gas, definitely. Electric oven, though.

Oh, and whatever you do, make sure you keep an eye on whoever installs it to make sure they put it in flat. Trust me on this.

Zantar

Neo Member
Gas for sure. I've recently moved into a unit with an electric stove and it is simply awful. I've not had any experience with the induction cooktops though, so they may be alright.

Gas. It's so much fun cooking over one of these with a stainless steel pan or wok.

Do these have a specific name? I may look into getting one for myself and not sure what to search for.

peakish

My parents had gotten an induction top when I was back visiting them this Christmas. The thing heats up any pot and boils water in an instant. I'd never get a non-induction electric stove if I was buying anything new after cooking on that. Regular electric is awfully slow.

Gas seems neat too, but I've never cooked on it.

Even though I cook on an inexpensive electric hob, I can see the clear advantages of a gas hob, but cost of cooking ain't one of them.

I cook every evening and have rice around three times a week (15 min cook time + around 3 min to attain simmer temp, by using 3/4 boiling water from electric kettle) and broccoli, up to six times a week (5 min to attain boiling temp, using remaining water from electric kettle and up to 2m 30s to cook). On top of the hob usage, I grill my chicken most nights (damn, my olive oil brushed (with spoon) chicken with freshly ground black pepper and salt is a winner!) and also grill (chicken breast, for week's supply of salad roles) and bake (also week's supply of cookies etc) on Monday's. So, my electricity bill in the warmer months is astronomical? Nope! Around $30, i.e. the cost of hob usage must be negligible and the gas equivalent may well be higher.

Cooking on an electric hob taints your food? Nah, son! Using cheapo pans, more likely.

Keeping an electric hob clean is much harder than gas? Cleaning around the hobs is probably not much different, but cleaning underneath the hobs is another story, especially when they use paper thin metal that rusts and when you try to clean them, you go right through the metal and have to cut out makeshift replacement collectors from aluminium foil...

ramuh

Daniel B·;151247810 said:
Even though I cook on an inexpensive electric hob, I can see the clear advantages of a gas hob, but cost of cooking ain't one of them.

I cook every evening and have rice around three times a week (15 min cook time + around 3 min to attain simmer temp, by using 3/4 boiling water from electric kettle) and broccoli, up to six times a week (5 min to attain boiling temp, using remaining water from electric kettle and up to 2m 30s to cook). On top of the hob usage, I grill my chicken most nights (damn, my olive oil brushed (with spoon) chicken with freshly ground black pepper and salt is a winner!) and also grill (chicken breast, for week's supply of salad roles) and bake (also week's supply of cookies etc) on Monday's. So, my electricity bill in the warmer months is astronomical? Nope! Around $30, i.e. the cost of hob usage must be negligible and the gas equivalent may well be higher.

Cooking on an electric hob taints your food? Nah, son! Using cheapo pans, more likely.

Keeping an electric hob clean is much harder than gas? Cleaning around the hobs is probably not much different, but cleaning underneath the hobs is another story, especially when they use paper thin metal that rusts and when you try to clean them, you go right through the metal and have to cut out makeshift replacement collectors from aluminium foil...

I also never really noticed higher prices when I cook more on the Electric Stove. My current electric stove (glasstop) does have issues keeping the son of a bitch clean. We use oven cleaner and scrub brushes... and it still doesn't quick clean it all the way.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Not only should you go gas OP but get a range with high output as the standard ranges can't keep pans hot enough to do proper high temp cooking.

Gas hob (Stove top), electric oven.

I cook a lot and currently have no gas supply out here in the sticks, it sucks. Thinking about getting a big tank installed just so I can have a Gas hob. Even the ultra fast induction ones which I'm using at the moment are utter shite in comparison to gas. I use the gas BBQ as much as possible at the moment, still easier going outside to cook and then bringing the food in than using the electric one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't imagine induction is good for chefs - doesn't it require contact with the pan? So you wouldn't be able to do lift the pans or move them around without losing the heat.

ramuh

I can't imagine induction is good for chefs - doesn't it require contact with the pan? So you wouldn't be able to do lift the pans or move them around without losing the heat.

That was my thought as well after watching some YT videos people have posted on induction in this thread.

Dougald

Induction is great for fast cooking (and you can't really burn shit to the surface because it cools so fast) but you have to replace all your pans. Mine kinda sucks for keeping things at a standard temperature though, I imagine gas is still the choice for serious cooking. Traditional electric stoves suck.

deadstar72

Neo Member
Until you lose the star for cooking on electric stove tops...

Seriously, I can't even imagine trying to cook proper food on that. The heating is so temperamental that nothing will ever turn out the same.

I can't say I've heard of a chef preferring electric either. I mean decent food is still doable, I worked as a kitchen hand on some real remote mine sites and most are within a couple of hundred kilometres of a rural town so they get gas lines set up, but I worked at one that was so out of the way that they had to go all electric. The chefs hated it, still put up good food but so much time wasted checking on food and fiddling with temps.

To the OP, gas all the way, no question about it.

Nikodemos

Why are people comparing gas to bad electric stoves? Obviously you go for an electric stove that is induction and buy the correct pots for it. It do not take forever to clean, heat, or cool down and it does not have a tremendous effect on your electric bill.
Seriously. Why do people still bring up iron hottops? They should've been exterminated 15 years ago.

Ceramic glass halogen is fancy looking, but due to its immense heat output anything that drips on the glowing element gets instantly carbonised and is a real bitch to get out.

Induction has none of the issues other types do. Your pan is the heating element, so anything that spills can be wiped up without problem. And there's no heat wastage. And you can dial the power much finer than with coils or halogen.

Sesto

Banned
what power does an electric stove have in the US?
here in Europe the standard is up to 3x400V/16A. Gas stoves are ancient

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i wish there was some better way to set things to simmer - eg a thermometer connected to the gas controls or something. You put the flame up to get your water to the boil quickly, but then balancing it so it maintains a nice simmer without dying away or boiling over is a pain.

I'd like to be able to just press a button saying 'pasta' or something and it'll bring it to the boil and automatically simmer without me babying it.

Guys we're in the 21st century now. Induction cooking is possible.

Gas is fine too, but if you have to run the line much at all, induction is likely cheaper and if anything a bit better.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Coming from a country where almost everything is electric, and then abroad where I had a gas stove, I'd say gas stove is the best choice. It's just simply better for cooking. Have you seen restaurants that use electric stoves? I did not think so.

Oven on the other hand is a different matter, but as long as you have one, cooking will be great.

dejay

Banned
The cook in my says "gas", which I have now, but the lazy SOB in me, who hates cleaning up and likes shiny things, says "induction."

That being said, some induction stove tops I've seen have been a bit finicky in the controls department, so when I do renovate my kitchen, I'll have a decent look around first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom