• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker media taunts Anonymous; gets hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

cuevas said:
Why not use a different password for each site and a different email for important sites like banks and those that have your CC info?
If you own your own domain(s) like me this is very easy. I always use a unique email address for everything that I sign up for. So, if I were to sign up for Gawker, for example, the email address would've been gawker@mydomain.com.

I mainly use it so I can tell, if some spam manages to make it to my inbox, who's selling my info, but I hadn't even considered the security angle.

mightynine said:
Since my Yahoo e-mail account was affected, I've changed the password. But should I just dump the account?

If you changed the password then the only other risk you have is getting more spam mail.

S. L.

mightynine said:
Since my Yahoo e-mail account was affected, I've changed the password. But should I just dump the account?
check in the settings if any sort of mailforwarding to unknown addresses has been enabled
otherwise you should be fine

sangreal

RDreamer said:
Weird, this says my username was indeed compromised, but when i type in my email address associated with that user ID it is NOT compromised.

If your username is the same as your username here, it appears in the DB with a hotmail account

I think I have long changed my passwords to not be anything like that... only Gawker site I think I ever was registered on was Kotaku (I was young and stupid) years ago and don't even remember what my password was on that site.

RDreamer

sangreal said:
If your username is the same as your username here, it appears in the DB with a hotmail account

It is, and thanks for checking then. Wonder why that site and the thing in the OP didn't return anything on my email. Oh well, I've changed almost anything I can think of, even stuff that shouldn't really relate to that account/password combo.

While anonymous can do some great & glorious shit, doing stuff like this will only serve against them in the long run & turn the group on themselves as the eventual backlash washes across them. While this won't provoke the backlash I mentioned, they will do something so horribly wrong that it'll end up fucking them over so hardcore, they'll wish they'd kept things as more of a "For the People!" styled approach to their efforts.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
While anonymous can do some great & glorious shit, doing stuff like this will only serve against them in the long run & turn the group on themselves as the eventual backlash washes across them. While this won't provoke the backlash I mentioned, they will do something so horribly wrong that it'll end up fucking them over so hardcore, they'll wish they'd kept things as more of a "For the People!" styled approach to their efforts.
Fucking over who? They aren't a real group and they don't even have some sort of set believes other than they like kittens.

You can't simply pinpoint anonymous. They have no identity. They don't even have motives other than some people just like to see the world born.

DiatribeEQ said:
There's no such thing as Anonymous. It's just anyone that wants to take the name and represent 4chan.

railGUN

Banned
I posted this in the other thread, but figured it was worth mentioning here as well...

Really, however, the passwords are the least damaging thing here. (Mine’s on the list; it doesn’t even work.) Gawker’s commenters were operating under the understanding that they were anonymous; now, at least 188,000 of them, and probably more in coming days, can be associated with an email address. Some of those emails are the kind of “stealth Gmail, Yahoo Mail, or Hotmail account” recommended by Gawker; many others are not and can easily be traced to an individual. Gawker has said that it’s “deeply embarrassed by this breach”, but a much more heartfelt apology is needed. I can imagine more than a few commenters on Gawker and Wonkette and Fleshbot who would be mortified or possibly even fired if their identities became public. And already a list of .gov email/password combinations is being passed around to see whether those same passwords will unlock state secrets elsewhere.

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2010/12/13/gawker-media-gets-hacked/

ggnoobIGN said:
Fucking over who? They aren't a real group and they don't even have some sort of set believes other than they like kittens.

You can't simply pinpoint anonymous. They have no identity. They don't even have motives other than some people just like to see the world born.

Do you honestly believe that with the mindset of "We are anonymous. We are no one." is not going to eventually have a massive backlash on them, thus causing any potential good they could do to be null & void? It's like being a true Robin Hood styled character in which you stole from the rich to give to the poor. Then one day you stole from some folks who were only middle class & gave to yourself. As a result, the very poor & middle class folks who previously looked at you as a hero, are now looking at you as nothing more than a common thug & criminal.

Essentially, those who would use the moniker of "anonymous" needs to learn how to pick their targets wiser, otherwise it'll end up coming back to haunt anyone who does the kinds of things they do.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
Do you honestly believe that with the mindset of "We are anonymous. We are no one." is not going to eventually have a massive backlash on them, thus causing any potential good they could do to be null & void? It's like being a true Robin Hood styled character in which you stole from the rich to give to the poor. Then one day you stole from some folks who were only middle class & gave to yourself. As a result, the very poor & middle class folks who previously looked at you as a hero, are now looking at you as nothing more than a common thug & criminal.

Essentially, those who would use the moniker of "anonymous" needs to learn how to pick their targets wiser, otherwise it'll end up coming back to haunt anyone who does the kinds of things they do.
They really are no-one though. You cannot simply pinpoint anonymous.

And I think you have the wrong idea of them. "They" do not try and do well. They simply try and create as much chaos as possible. I don't think they care about their public perception other than that they are being noticed.

S. L.

DiatribeEQ said:
ultimatively it's all for the lulz

I just woke up and my phone had a caution sign on it. I've never seen that before and I've been using Android for a while now. Turns out that Gmail couldn't sign me in, I thought it might have been a network error or something but my password didn't work at all. Thank God for Google texting me a recovery pin to my phone. These motherfuckers are pathetic beyond belief, I know anon isn't an organization, but it's gone from being funny to outright breach of privacy. I don't know how they got my Gmail PW because it's unique from everything else.

Now I have to change my banking passwords and all important shit ju8st to be on the safe side. Fuck em.

Mudkips

Banned
Zilch said:
Just FYI, only internet nerds care about what other internet nerds do. The rest of the world shrugs and moves on.

:lol wow.
So when "internet nerds" leak 1.3 million email accounts and passwords, it won't matter when someone gets into people's bank accounts?

The leak already happened, and I'd date a certain man's 17 year old daughter before I'd say no one's bank account has been plundered.

NekoFever

I'm on the list. I've just changed my password on here and all the other forums I frequent, and done my Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Google, Dropbox, etc. I don't think I used that password but better safe than sorry. Thankfully I use a very secure random string for my really important stuff like online banking and email.

I searched the decrypted part of the database and two of the guys from work are on there. Just emailed them to change the password if they use it anywhere.

f0rk

Mudkips said:
:lol wow.
So when "internet nerds" leak 1.3 million email accounts and passwords, it won't matter when someone gets into people's bank accounts?

The leak already happened, and I'd date a certain man's 17 year old daughter before I'd say no one's bank account has been plundered.

Are there really still online bank accounts that only use email + password combos?

kamspy

f0rk said:
Are there really still online bank accounts that only use email + password combos?

maybe stupid easy password means stupid easy "secret question" answer? We're talking about a lot of people with nothing better to do all day.

sangreal

f0rk said:

paypal

for all intents and purposes

edit: my bank of america account is just user/pass too. I think my other banks require an sms or other verification whenever you use a new computer though

Jinfash said:
Those passwords can also be deleted with a press of button by anyone using the computer; like a paranoid friend who doesn't know the cognito mode exists, for example.

I've had that happen to me countless of time.

The only real way of remembering all your passwords is to either jot them down (lol) or use a third party app like LassPass or 1Password to this for you. Average Joes usually do neither, unfortunately.

The way I have it setup is so firefox remembers my passwords and I put a master password when I boot the browser up.

MIMIC

Banned
CrushDance said:
I just woke up and my phone had a caution sign on it. I've never seen that before and I've been using Android for a while now. Turns out that Gmail couldn't sign me in, I thought it might have been a network error or something but my password didn't work at all. Thank God for Google texting me a recovery pin to my phone. These motherfuckers are pathetic beyond belief, I know anon isn't an organization, but it's gone from being funny to outright breach of privacy. I don't know how they got my Gmail PW because it's unique from everything else.

Now I have to change my banking passwords and all important shit ju8st to be on the safe side. Fuck em.

Now I see why my bank makes me change my online password every few months :lol

f0rk

kamspy said:
maybe stupid easy password means stupid easy "secret question" answer? We're talking about a lot of people with nothing better to do all day.

My bank requires 2 passwords and you enter the 2nd one as 3 random letters picked from drop down boxes so you can't get keylogged. I thought this would be wide spread. I didn't think of paypal though.

MIMIC

Banned
cuevas said:
But most people just end up changing one number or letter in their PW :lol :lol

I did this ;_; :lol

My bank PW isn't similar to any of my other online passwords (anymore :lol) so I don't really sweat it.

segarr

sprsk said:
Why punish the rest of the internet for some beef with a tech tabloid?
This is what I don't like. If they have beef with the editors of Gawker, take it up with them. Leave innocent people who are just living their lives out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom