• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gay Man Diagnosed With HIV, Only Has Sex With HIV+ Men for 9 yrs, OOPS - Misdiagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
Nowhere in the article says he's gay, but you can tell from the video.

Still, good for him now he knows he's not sick and will never even see the inside of a courtroom to make the millions that he deserves.

This is horrible, the poor guy avoid his friends and families because of his supposed disease, had to endure years of medication and only had sex with HIV positive people. It's a miracle he didn't got the disease for real. Hopefully he get's at least an 8 million dollar settlement.

Waiting for the people who say he should have abstained after learning his diagnosis.

Well a second opinion wouldn't had hurt.

Edit: Oooh I misinterpreted.

Nowhere in the article says he's gay, but you can tell from the video.

Still, good for him now he knows he's not sick and will never even see the inside of a courtroom to make the millions that he deserves.

Seems kind of unnecessary to the story to put his sexuality into the title anyways.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Man... I hope he sues them so hard the goddamned notice makes a crater upon landing on the hospital's desk.

Jesus.

coldfoot

Banned
Seems kind of unnecessary to the story to put his sexuality into the title anyways.
It's only in the GAF title along with the emphasis of having sex with men (duh, that's what gay men do), every other title doesn't mention it anyways, hence my confusion.

teiresias

I knew the drugs for HIV made the seropositive partner less likely to transmit it, but does it also have effects against recieving it? I know there are special "cocktails" for extreme cases like rape, but those are not the same as the retrovirals, or are they?

The emergency post exposure drugs are usually the same drugs one would use for normal treatment of infection, yes. However, most guidelines call for only a two-drug regime for post-exposure therapy, whereas normal treatment therapy is a three drug "cocktail".

I put "cocktail" in parenthesis because nowadays many people are on one combo pill that has three drugs in one that they take once a day, so it's not like the 80s where people were taking handfulls of pills every four hours or so - thought that's still the popular perception of treatment even though it's far from the truth nowadays for many.

However, there is some other serious underlying either mental or familial issues that this man needs help with if he's avoiding friends and family because of his condition.

Fuck. That sucks.

An uncle of an old friend of mine contracted HIV because of a nurse using the wrong needle. That was worse than this, but still, fuck.

someday

Banned
I hope the doctors involved lose their medical licenses. This is negligence, pure and simple.

Unfortunately, this is why each and every person should always ask for a hard copy of their lab results (and radiology or any other test performed). No doctor cares as much about you as you will. They are also busy and may not have a system in place to automatically see results of the exams they order. There is also the chance that the physician has already decided what is wrong with you and doesn't bother with following up the follow up. It's a stretch, but I feel the doctor saw a gay man and assumed he'd be HIV+ so didn't bother trying to disprove it.

Wilsongt

V3300ln.gif

massoluk

Banned
OMG. I hope he sued the living shit out of them.

I bet there's some "He's gay? AIDS! Book it, done!" along the line somewhere.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Wait, so you get diagnosed with AIDS and you never have a look at the god damed test files for a decade? Damn.

Would sue the crap out of everyone involved.

Zoe

Wow. Not only was a false diagnosis given, but they gave him utterly horrible advice. People who are HIV positive can still have sexual relations with people who aren't. The right thing to do wasn't "only have sex with partners who are HIV positive," but to take all the necessary precautions and be completely open about his status. The advice he was given borders on discriminatory.

Poor guy.

There's nothing in the article that says he was told to only date HIV+ people. Is that said in the video?

kirblar

There's nothing in the article that says he was told to only date HIV+ people. Is that said in the video?
Sero-sorting is a completely rational response for people - accidentally infecting a loved one is an outcome that would lead to a lifetime of guilt.

ElRenoRaven

And people wonder why I question my doctors all the time. It's shit like this. Well that and the fact that I'm usually right in what I end up being diagnosed with while they take forever to figure it out. lol

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Only the initial diagnosis should really be sued. Everyone else was just following that initial faulty diagnosis.

Would be both happy and enraged at the same time.

Like finding out your girlfriend lied about being pregnant while you're still in the panic stage.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Was it a false positive? Or did they just say "You look a little peaky. Whelp, you probably have AIDS".

Zoe

Was it a false positive? Or did they just say "You look a little peaky. Whelp, you probably have AIDS".

Russell's saga began in September 2004, when he was diagnosed HIV-positive by a UKMC doctor, according to the lawsuit, which was filed in mid-August.

Russell questioned that diagnosis, saying an earlier test had come back negative. So UKMC ordered a confirmatory test a few weeks later. That test, called a Western Blot test, didn't detect HIV 1 and came back negative for HIV 2, according to the lawsuit.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.*****************/news/a...-HIV-positive-9-YEARS-AGO-suing-hospital.html

"According to the lawsuit, Russell was diagnosed with the STD in September 2004 after a test came back positive.

Russell questioned the result, telling his doctor an earlier test at the Fayette County Health Department showed negative results. The doctor then ordered a 'confirmatory test', called a western blot test, the lawsuit said.

The test came back negative but none of Russell's doctors ever viewed these subsequent results and only relied on the one and only positive test."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/03/bobby-russell-hiv-veteran-sues-hospital_n_3860308.html

"He had some immune deficiency issues going on, but it wasn't HIV."

So he was already immunocompromised which resulted in a false positive, and for whatever reason they never looked at the test results for the blood test they ordered afterwards that would have definitively proven whether or not he had HIV.

Wilsongt

Pretty much the textbook definition of malpractice.

Yes. You would think a patient who was diagnosed with HIV would have many more follow-ups and tests after a while. Much more than "here's the meds. Have a good day".

However, if he started with this diagnosis at the VA... I am not at all surprised at this oversight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom