• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Link to where it's sold?

edit: Did a bit of reading and it sounds like this cart has a lot of problems with glitchy gameplay, that and all roms have to be patched with some archaic tool.

hahaha oh fuck

http://www.yeahgeek.com/supercard-mini-sd-for-gba-sp-gbm-ids-nds-nds-lite-p-805.html

sorry. Also:

1. Support Real Time Save function (savestates). You can stop and restart games during playing games anytime and anywhere with this fantastic function. This is an exclusive function of SuperCard series. With this fantastic function, you need not worry about GAME OVER anymore.
2. Support compressed game files and large memory room. Since we use MINISD card as medium, so that how much room you can make use of for games and how many games can be put in it is absolutely by MINISD card.
3. Freely switch walkthrough/e-books in game and switch back. This is another exclusive and powerful function of SuperCard series. When you play game, just press L+R+B+START, and it is switched to text screen. When you want to continue your game, just press the same case to switch back.
4. Need no convert and driver during transferring, just plug and play. A MINISD card and a card reader consist of a U-disc, so the speed is the same as U-disc.

so no more transferring using a shitty app. yeah, buy this.
Is this by the same company that made the DSTwo Supercard?

Also, one of you guys mention each Tom has to be patched by some archaic tool, but Rich also says that it is drag and drop. Is this correct, you have to patch but you can still do drag and drop?

Has anyone used this cart and can vouch for it?

redhairedking

Also, one of you guys mention each Tom has to be patched by some archaic tool, but Rich also says that it is drag and drop. Is this correct, you have to patch but you can still do drag and drop?

I honestly don't know much about it, I'm just repeating what I had heard from someone else who reviewed the cart.

Kawika

God damn is that beautiful

Thank you. I love the way it looks too.

I got together with some college buddies over the holidays and I busted this thing out. They made fun for a minute but by the end of the night I swear they were all on ebay looking for AGS 101s.

Fireblend

Banned
Hah, I've been playing Minish Cap, Advance Wars and MMBN during lunch breaks at work, and several of my coworkers have been looking for GBAs lately as a result.

In other news, my brother asked me to take a look at his SP and see if I could clean it; it has something like a mold spot inside the screen. Anyone know if it's possible to separate the layer between the actual screen and the "lens" to clean it and then reattach them?

Rich!

In other news, my brother asked me to take a look at his SP and see if I could clean it; it has something like a mold spot inside the screen. Anyone know if it's possible to separate the layer between the actual screen and the "lens" to clean it and then reattach them?

dead easy, no disassembly required. use the opportunity to replace it with a nice glass one from ebay.

It's by the same company, yes. You need to patch the games and then copy them to the SD mini card. It will not work very well with unpatched games.

Peltz

I guess sort of yes. But this doesn't happen on my GBA SP or my GB Player. Plus, it's not black and white. It looks more like a glitched out NES game with tons of colors.

Maybe I can grab a photograph of it sometime.

This is what I was referring to:

zlCfzS2437Q-Rn9w7c

It happens when transitioning between scenes within levels of Yoshi's Island on the Wii U GBA VC.

omgkitty

Wasn't there a guy on eBay who sold the original GBA modified with AGS-101 back lights for around about $100 or so? I look on there now and there's only a couple and almost all of them are $200.

Wasn't there a guy on eBay who sold the original GBA modified with AGS-101 back lights for around about $100 or so? I look on there now and there's only a couple and almost all of them are $200.

The price has jumped because the supply of spare AGS-101 screens dried up.

Ya, I paid about $75 for mine... too bad the price has lurched upward like that - it's the best of both worlds afaic...

Mercutio

The price has jumped because the supply of spare AGS-101 screens dried up.

I'd love to take the screen from my AGS 101 and slap it in an older shell. I adored my original GBA... the SP never felt as solid. I wonder how much the mod'd cost if I provided my screen?

Rich!

This is what I was referring to:

zlCfzS2437Q-Rn9w7c

It happens when transitioning between scenes within levels of Yoshi's Island on the Wii U GBA VC.

That's normal. It happens on every single copy of the GBA version irrespective of whether it's emulated or on real hardware. It's an odd glitch/oversight where the game instead of displaying a pure black image, accidentally takes graphics from the wrong section of the ROM resulting in garbage tiles for a split second

it's something that can be fixed quite easily through hacking the ROM and changing some pointers...but Nintendo has never done so themselves. ah well. Anyone who buys the GBA version is getting an inferior product to the original in almost every way sans the extra levels anyhow, so hey. whatever.

Jayne

I'd love to take the screen from my AGS 101 and slap it in an older shell. I adored my original GBA... the SP never felt as solid. I wonder how much the mod'd cost if I provided my screen?

Provided you have an original gba and the 101 SP screen already, all you'd need is the adapter cable used to install it in the gba, which you can get on ebay for around $10. And if you wanted to replace the plastic screen cover with a glass one, those go for about $10 as well. So for about $20 or so bucks you could go ahead and mod it yourself.

Peltz

That's normal. It happens on every single copy of the GBA version irrespective of whether it's emulated or on real hardware. It's an odd glitch/oversight where the game instead of displaying a pure black image, accidentally takes graphics from the wrong section of the ROM resulting in garbage tiles for a split second

it's something that can be fixed quite easily through hacking the ROM and changing some pointers...but Nintendo has never done so themselves. ah well. Anyone who buys the GBA version is getting an inferior product to the original in almost every way sans the extra levels anyhow, so hey. whatever.

Hm...okay then. I'm satisfied with that explanation. I suppose I never saw it because I only really used my ags-001 up until recently when I got a real ags-101.

Fireblend

Banned
Has there been any word on this? I've never owned an Everdrive for any system, but would really like one for GBA.

Nope, but I'll be the first in line to order one as soon as it's out. My shitty super card will be collecting dust as soon as that everdrive touches my micro's cartridge slot.

Putosaure

Just got a OG GBA with a backlit screen. Looks good, but the screen is kinda meh (brighter corners). But it's okay. My GBA family is now complete. (GBA, Backlit GBA, SP, SP 101, Micro)

So I looked a bit more into my suspicious SP with the screen with bright edges. I discovered the screen's screws were phillips and not tri-wing like they should be, so I guess maybe it was swapped with a bootleg one at some point, or someone tinkered with the screen somehow at some point and screwed it up.

I don't think it's bootleg, Nintendo just doesn't use great screens, especially on GBA/DS. They use cheap screens.

My DSiXL has a brighter spot in the top middle of the screen. I got it straight from Best Buy.

Mercutio

I don't think it's bootleg, Nintendo just doesn't use great screens, especially on GBA/DS. They use cheap screens.

My DSiXL has a brighter spot in the top middle of the screen. I got it straight from Best Buy.

The AGS 101 screens are usually great, though. Mine has no bleed around the edge, and I haven't seen a legit one in person that does. The quality control on that particular unit seems to be higher than other devices. I also haven't seen one with a stuck pixel or dust, while I have seen several Micros that have both.

You might as well get a knock off anyway. There's no active component, just metal and plastic, and the GBA puts out really noisy/crappy audio anyway so I doubt a better headphone adapter would make any difference.

D.Lo

Lol EZIV update, how many roms to people need? I'm guessing the entire GBA catalogue would be something like 2-4GB?

I have all my own games ripped via DS Lite (40-50ish) and it's a couple hundred meg!

redhairedking

Lol EZIV update, how many roms to people need? I'm guessing the entire GBA catalogue would be something like 2-4GB?

I have all my own games ripped via DS Lite (40-50ish) and it's a couple hundred meg!

I think the entire GBA library is something like ~7 gigs

Rich!

I think the entire GBA library is something like ~7 gigs

I'm a little shocked by that EZIV update

Heh of course. But yeah, the main point of it is so that you can use any micro SD card you have without resorting to trying to find a non sdhc one.

You can rip games via. DS Lite? I didn't know this! Do tell. Is it relatively easy?

Thanks.

Peagles

EZIV update is cool but putting games on is so tedious I'm not sure I could do 16GB worth even if my games added up to that. Putting on 30 or so was painful enough.

D.Lo

EZIV update is cool but putting games on is so tedious I'm not sure I could do 16GB worth even if my games added up to that. Putting on 30 or so was painful enough.
Yeah I did mine years ago and have been OS X only for like seven years so can't change it!

That said, I forgot about the patching crap and dropped a couple of newer rips onto the SD card a couple of years ago and they seem to work as-is?

Gunsmithx

I feel the same way, I put one a bunch of games the first day I got it and some GBC games as well and I just haven't been able to make myself go back to add anymore... so annoying, really want the everdrive gba to come out.

Zalman

Jesus. I totally forgot how pricey the later GB Mega Mans got. Forget about CIB.
I recommend buying the Japanese versions instead. They are way cheaper. The games barely have any text anyway.

Unless you really care about having the English versions, of course.

entremet

I recommend buying the Japanese versions instead. They are way cheaper. The games barely have any text anyway.

Unless you really care about having the English versions, of course.

I might just go the eShop route honestly. I just hate the blur filter of the GB emulator on the 3DS.

I might just go the eShop route honestly. I just hate the blur filter of the GB emulator on the 3DS.

You can play in native res by holding start and select when you booth the game from the 3DS menu. Everything is small, but lots of folks prefer it to the blurriness.

Top Bottom