• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

prateeko

is this pokemon leafgreen legit? Looks to me, but I want to double check

5541bdb.jpg

5619be9.jpg

55d1f11.jpg

Looks real to me, especially since I bought a TON of GBA games and spotted some ways to tell if real or fake:
http://imgur.com/a/DTdzc

So the TwitchPlaysPokemon channel is currently playing Hamtaro Ham-Hams Unite.

Good chance to remind everyone that both Ham-Hams Unite (on the GBC) and Ham-Ham Heartbreak (on the GBA) are markedly fantastic adventure games starring adorable hamsters acting out little 'emotes' to solve problems and make everyone happy.

Seriously, they're really good. Can be found CIB for about 10$ or 25$ respectively, and cheaper if it's just a cartridge.

Get to it.

quick question guys: is the english translation of pokemon green on ebay (fake game of course) is reliable in terms of gameplay and save? does it work fine and saves fine or it is full of bugs ?

D.Lo

I've been wondering if there's a box that's exactly twice as big or similar, such that I could put multiple games snuggly in a single box. Need to run through some numbers.
Also, all of my JP GBC games, and my JP GB games are in the same size box. I'm still convinced there's a standard.
Just like Famicom, there are a few 'standards' but much variance.

There are two main sizes, original small and late large.

I use GBA protectors for small, and Famicom protectors for large. The latter are a very good fit, just too tall.

Oynox

One more question regarding the value of the Gameboy micro:

Found a new one for 80€. It is not sealed and the hull of the package, the one on which the picture and everything is, is missing, therefore it is only the package. The power cable is still sealed though.

Good price? I am still a bit biased since 80€ for such an old piece of technique is quite a bit and I still hope to find a good conditioned one around 50€ someday...

Just like Famicom, there are a few 'standards' but much variance.

There are two main sizes, original small and late large.

I use GBA protectors for small, and Famicom protectors for large. The latter are a very good fit, just too tall.
I assume those are jp GBA boxes? Thanks for the suggestion. I have a couple purchases coming on hopefully this week, so I might pick up some boxes soon.

D.Lo

Alrighty. Guess I'll try out some gba boxes. Worst case I can use them for gba games I get in future.
Are you sure? Larger box GB games (which it sounds like you have, since all GBC games are the larger format) don't fit in GBA boxes, hence why I use Famicom boxes for those.

I know these aren't considered true Gameboy's, but I had a busted DS Lite with a broken hinge and decided to make a Macro. It came out better than I thought I could do!

JWeCCTMl.jpg

4yTATdMl.jpg

Are you sure? Larger box GB games (which it sounds like you have, since all GBC games are the larger format) don't fit in GBA boxes, hence why I use Famicom boxes for those.

no, I have a couple GBC titles (Star Ocean, Survival Kids 2), but the majority of my collection is the smaller size normal GB games.

Does that mean that the GBC and larger GB boxes are the same size, though? That simplifies things, somewhat.

I know these aren't considered true Gameboy's, but I had a busted DS Lite with a broken hinge and decided to make a Macro. It came out better than I thought I could do!

JWeCCTMl.jpg

4yTATdMl.jpg

Looks really nice.

Too bad there isn't a way to extend the bottom to cover the cartridge and to add speakers to it.

Or is there?

Looks really nice.

Too bad there isn't a way to extend the bottom to cover the cartridge and to add speakers to it.

Or is there?

I know there is definitely a way to add speakers, but I don't really know how you could extend the bottom. I mean, I guess you could, but it would be pretty bulky even if you managed it.

Nice job on the conversion though MicroByter! Would you mind listing the supplies that you used? I just ordered two busted DS Lite's off of eBay and I plan to try the same thing once they get in.

I know there is definitely a way to add speakers, but I don't really know how you could extend the bottom. I mean, I guess you could, but it would be pretty bulky even if you managed it.

Nice job on the conversion though MicroByter! Would you mind listing the supplies that you used? I just ordered two busted DS Lite's off of eBay and I plan to try the same thing once they get in.

I actually just lined up the speaker to where the stylus hole was. Once open, you can remove the styli enclosure and that frees up the room for the speaker. This also leaves the opening to where the stylus would go into which worked great as a "natural" hole for the sound to come out of.

I kept the back shell stock since I liked the matte feel and there really wasn't a need to paint it. I would love to have the speaker pointed to the front, but there isn't room due to the board. I've also heard that you can remove the DS Cart slot and install the 2nd speaker there, but I haven't had time to mess with that.

As far as supplies, just standard stuff for the electronics - Wire cutters, triwing/phillips screw drivers, soldering iron.

For the resistor, I just went to Radio Shack and got the smallest 330 ohm resistor.

For the bodywork, I used Bondo for the filler:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_8460-98-20052___?productId=3044443&pl=1&Ntt=bondo

After the body was sanded, I used a primer+filler spray for the base. This helped seal and fill in any small imperfections pretty well. It can be sanded as well which was good for blending. I can get the name and brand if you want.

After that, I just spray painted using a Rust Oleum Metallic Blue I had used before on my sons Pinewood Derby stuff. Makes it really shine, kind of like car paint. I really wish there was a cherry or red color version, it would look so good.

entremet

JWeCCTMl.jpg

4yTATdMl.jpg

One my biggest peeves of the Lites were the protruding GBA carts when in use. Drove me mad lol.

Wigwam

Neo Member
I have an enquiry for a friend that I wonder if someone here might be able to help with. He has what he thinks is a pretty rare original Gameboy that he won as a prize on a UK kid's show back in the 90s.

It's a black Gameboy with Wario on it. It came with a Wario jacket and bag too. He's pretty much never opened it so it's in great condition. He's searched around but hasn't been able to find anything about it. If it's worth anything I'm sure he'd be looking to sell it.

Anyone heard of this?

Gozert

gameboy-black-wario.jpg

On the right.

I have no idea what it's worth but I can imagine quite a bit, especially with the original packaging. It's supposedly one of the rarest variants out there.

Wigwam

Neo Member
Thanks. That's the one. Any idea how he can find out what it might be worth? Or even what do similarly rare variants go for?

Peltz

So I've never really checked out Raphnet before. Wow, lots of great and useful stuff.

Does Swiss or GBI allow for any kind of zoom functionality? Seems like GBI plus a SNES adaptor from Raphnet would be the ideal way to play all GameBoy games via GameBoy player on my monitor.

Not in ULL mode (which doesn't run on most sets but works amazingly well on my PVM). I never tried the others modes, but I think one of them allows you to zoom.

Lettuce

JWeCCTMl.jpg

4yTATdMl.jpg

That looks really good. How did you get such a nice finish?

Also regarding the cart sicking out the bottom, is there no way to more the pins for the cart inside the system up at all so the cart sits further into the case?

That looks really good. How did you get such a nice finish?

Also regarding the cart sicking out the bottom, is there no way to more the pins for the cart inside the system up at all so the cart sits further into the case?

Probably not, the inside of a DS light is pretty compact as is and that would be like major surgery.

If you want to play GBA games on DS and this really bothers you, there's a version of the EZ-Flash IV intended for use only on DS-Lite that was slimline and sat flush against the cartridge slot. Might be kind of hard to find that today though. There's also the 3-in-1 expansion pack, which is also slimline, for use with a DS flash cart that you can program with DS software to run GBA mode games in native hardware.

Lettuce

Probably not, the inside of a DS light is pretty compact as is and that would be like major surgery.

If you want to play GBA games on DS and this really bothers you, there's a version of the EZ-Flash IV intended for use only on DS-Lite that was slimline and sat flush against the cartridge slot. Might be kind of hard to find that today though. There's also the 3-in-1 expansion pack, which is also slimline, for use with a DS flash cart that you can program with DS software to run GBA mode games in native hardware.

I actually think i have one of those somewhere,lol.

I wonder if the upcoming GBA EverDrive will be able to be placed in a stubby case so it sits flush in a DS Lite

Herbs

Banned
Hey, I've got a few modded OG GBA's. They aren't the best mods but I have two to sell. I also have a CIB Indigo normal one and a normal white one for sale too. Wanted to offer here before I go to the BTS thread. I'll sell them at a reasonable price. Just PM me and we can discuss more details.

alf717

In Metroid II can you switch between the Plasma Beam and the Spazer Beam? I got the Plasma first and later found the Spazer Beam.

Edit:

Yep you can. :D

So stoked! I have been wanting to do the AGS101 mod into a AGB001 forever, but could not bring myself to destroying my perfectly good SP to do this.

Found someone selling theirs and it was in terrible condition. I mean, it looked like a dog chewed into it. The saving grace is that the screen under the glass lens is pristine which is all I care about. Ordered my ribbon cable and now am trying to decide on a replacement shell!

I'm really leaning towards red for some reason. Something about that color with the ones I've seen make it look pretty slick. Anyone have a red GBA? Thinking of getting this one from RCG

gba_bullseye_orig2.jpg

Anyone have any good pics of their red GBA?

I had a red one from a Zellers when I was a kid. It looked pretty hot, but the orange looks better IMO. Matches an Orange GC too.

FYI replacement cases tend to not be so great, the fit isn't quite as good. I found that when I replaced the back of the replacement case I have with an OEM back it tends to work out better. Something about being too loose around the cartridge slot was giving me issues.

I had a red one from a Zellers when I was a kid. It looked pretty hot, but the orange looks better IMO. Matches an Orange GC too.

FYI replacement cases tend to not be so great, the fit isn't quite as good. I found that when I replaced the back of the replacement case I have with an OEM back it tends to work out better. Something about being too loose around the cartridge slot was giving me issues.

Good to know, II'm really hope the RCG replacement case is better than the ones on eBay, but I'm betting they are one in the same.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the red, looks way too sexy not to. I am so excited about this one, this will be one of my last mods I think until something new comes up.

Peagles

Good to know, II'm really hope the RCG replacement case is better than the ones on eBay, but I'm betting they are one in the same.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the red, looks way too sexy not to. I am so excited about this one, this will be one of my last mods I think until something new comes up.

They're the same afaik. If you can, use as many original parts (buttons, triggers, etc) as possible.

alf717

Just beat Metriod II. This is the first Metriod game I ever beat. I thought I would get lost with no map like I did in the NES Metriod game. It was tough at first trying to find the upgrades. I was always low on health but after I found some of the first upgrades I couldn't stop playing. I was hooked on trying to find everything else that was hidden in the game.

End game spoiler:

Why does that Metriod follow you at the end of the game? Does it think Samus is the mother? Kind of weird since you spend the whole game destroying all the other Metroid.

Just beat Metriod II. This is the first Metriod game I ever beat. I thought I would get lost with no map like I did in the NES Metriod game. It was tough at first trying to find the upgrades. I was always low on health but after I found some of the first upgrades I couldn't stop playing. I was hooked on trying to find everything else that was hidden in the game.

End game spoiler:

Why does that Metriod follow you at the end of the game? Does it think Samus is the mother? Kind of weird since you spend the whole game destroying all the other Metroid.

As far as your spoiler goes,
yes. Play Super Metroid next, as it directly references this in the intro of that game.

Lettuce

Did the front light mod to a GBC i got from eBay, added a new case, glass screen and speaker.....

All the parts.....

Notches cut for wires...

screen removed and padded foam...

Had to cut a bit of plastic to make space for the new speaker...

speaker solidered...

Applied Loca, front light placed and left in the sun to cure for 45 mins....

screen placed and solidered....

finished article....

Going to fit a backlight and biver mod to a GameBoy Pocket at some point

Yes, play Super Metroid. It's one of the things that was/is so cool about the first few Metroid games. They were among the first games to have a truly continuous storyline woven through them - and not just "oh no bad guy X stole princess Y again!" At least that I was aware of. I love SM as much for this as for all the stellar game design.

Did the front light mod to a GBC i got from eBay, added a new case, glass screen and speaker.....

That light looks really good, not as washed out as other's I've seen either. I'm curious about the speaker, does it sound better/louder than stock? GBC speakers are pretty weak sounding in terms of volume so I wasn't sure if the new ones were better.

D.Lo

Yes, play Super Metroid. It's one of the things that was/is so cool about the first few Metroid games. They were among the first games to have a truly continuous storyline woven through them - and not just "oh no bad guy X stole princess Y again!" At least that I was aware of. I love SM as much for this as for all the stellar game design.
Yeah, if you played through Metroid 1 and 2 when they were released or at least before Super Metroid was released, M3 was some next level shit in 1994. Taking the areas of M1 and twisting them in a both cinematic way (omg you realise what this place is?) and naturalistic way (nature re-taking over abandoned dwellings).

Completely blew my mind doing something that clever with a game. It was truly art.

Zero Mission went all meta by being a remake of M1, which through being effectively an 'extended cut' of M1, explained additional parts of the world of M3, and equipment of M2 and M3. It wasn't quite as clever that time because it had been done, but I loved it almost as much for being so meta.

Top Bottom