• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Velcro Fly

So how likely am I to be able to find the DKC GBA games and have them be legit. I know how to spot fakes and I know what the carts look like. But I'm still really leery about jumping into bed with some seller I don't know buying carts that I really want that are likely to come cart only.

Basically only want them to have and to play and don't care about cart only. I just know that cart only dramatically increases the chances of the stuff coming bootleg even if it looks legit on the listing.

So how likely am I to be able to find the DKC games and have them be legit. I know how to spot fakes and I know what the carts look like. But I'm still really leery about jumping into bed with some seller I don't know buying carts that I really want that are likely to come cart only.

Basically only want them to have and to play and don't care about cart only. I just know that cart only dramatically increases the chances of the stuff coming bootleg even if it looks legit on the listing.

Demand a refund if they turn out to be bootleg...I used to have a way of telling bootlegs but it seems that method isn't very useful anymore...=/

So how likely am I to be able to find the DKC games and have them be legit. I know how to spot fakes and I know what the carts look like. But I'm still really leery about jumping into bed with some seller I don't know buying carts that I really want that are likely to come cart only.

Anecdotal, but I've seen the DKC GBA ports pretty commonly around me at flea markets and such. You might want to check out your local spots or Craigslist or whatever first so you can physically evaluate the games yourself before buying.

Aaiiee

Neo Member
This is probably old news to everyone, but many of the pirate carts I found scammers selling on eBay years ago didn't have "Nintendo" printed in gold next to the contacts on the circuit board. Pretty easy to see by peeking into the bottom of the cart.

Maybe nowadays pirates are smarter!

MYE

I just wanted to post this gif:

hlf5uxN.gif

lol

goldenpp72

Yeah having a fool proof way to know it's a pirated cart would be nice, I usually buy my games CIB but I still worry about this.. Is the nintendo logo thing not a legitimate way to tell anymore?

Raife

This is probably old news to everyone, but many of the pirate carts I found scammers selling on eBay years ago didn't have "Nintendo" printed in gold next to the contacts on the circuit board. Pretty easy to see by peeking into the bottom of the cart.

Maybe nowadays pirates are smarter!

They are smarter these days for sure. I like collecting fauxkemon carts and I have found quite a few that have the Nintendo logo printed on them these days. The best way to tell with the GBA games without actually starting up the cart (for Pokemon anyway), is the shiny, foil like labels, and the numbers/letters being imprinted into the labels.

Grief.exe

The best ways to tell are

Correct Label - Including the picture, aspect ratio (sometimes they scale down the box art), Seal of Quality, rating, etc
Printed Numbers on Label
Label aligned correctly - impossible for a person to line up the label perfectly
Nintendo above the contacts on the circuit board
Correct labeling on the back

These are the fastest and easiest ways, if it fails one of these tests than its fake.

dgco86

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but I was looking at the label of my Final Fantasy VI Advance and it appears to be somewhat off white. Is it supposed to be pure white like FFVA?

Grief.exe

Label's face out when they are in the unit, easy for them to get dirty. Use some Goof Off to clean the label, or just water and a paper towel.

Does it pass all of the other tests that I listed?

The best ways to tell are

Correct Label - Including the picture, aspect ratio (sometimes they scale down the box art), Seal of Quality, rating, etc
Printed Numbers on Label
Label aligned correctly - impossible for a person to line up the label perfectly
Nintendo above the contacts on the circuit board
Correct labeling on the back

These are the fastest and easiest ways, if it fails one of these tests than its fake.

dgco86

Correct label - Yes, it's the right one with the Nintendo seal and correct serial number (AGB-BZ6E-USA)
Printed numbers on label - Not sure if I this is what you're referring but there are 2 double digit numbers embossed (imprinted?) on the right side of the label. 1 is above the other.
Label aligned correctly - Yup it's perfect
Nintendo above the contacts on the circuit board - Yup I can see the Nintendo words on the circuit board
Correct labeling on the back - I'm not too sure about this one. It has a triwing screw, a Nintendo logo and below that it says:

MODEL NO.AGB-002
PAT.PEND. MADE IN JAPAN

Is there a risk of damaging the label if I were to use water and a paper towel to clean it? I don't know if Goof Off is available in Singapore.

Grief.exe

Water works. Dilute a little bit of soap in should be fine.

Rubbing Alcohol will work as well.

Obviously don't soak the label or anything.

some guy on Ebay is selling these colored SPs (101) and im kinda tempted

http://myworld.ebay.com/b_blume09?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I got my Purple SP in the mail a couple days ago, and it's nice a clean, with no dust behind the screen and all that. Only problem is the battery won't hold a charge. It works fine when plugged in, but it dies within 30 mins when I'm out and about. Also the charging light doesn't light up. I contacted the seller for a replacement, I'll keep you guys updated about what follows.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I got my Purple SP in the mail a couple days ago, and it's nice a clean, with no dust behind the screen and all that. Only problem is the battery won't hold a charge. It works fine when plugged in, but it dies within 30 mins when I'm out and about. Also the charging light doesn't light up. I contacted the seller for a replacement, I'll keep you guys updated about what follows.

The GBA SPs don't use regular batteries?

Edit: Oh, it doesn't. I would just buy a replacement battery then. They don't seem too expensive.

womp

Can someone recommend a good place to get a SP replacement shell from? Somewhere in the US that won't take 2 weeks to get to me and is a full kit including a tri-wing screwdriver?

I want to try replacing the $10 brighter screen SP I got at the yard sale the other week.

Screen is great, but the system's outside casing has been through a war. :)

Teknoman

Just posted up a trade in the BST thread. Its nothing special, but i'm trying to trade Kirby and the Amazing Mirror along with Samurai Deeper Kyo (plays like a Dynasty Warriors / Musou game) for any of these:

• Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
  • Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
  • Drill Dozer
  • Operation C
  • Contra Advance: The Alien Wars EX
  • Metal Slug Advance
  • Gradius Galaxies
  • Sonic Advance 1

Has anyone tried the mod to put the GBA SP front light into a GBC? I'm really tempted to try it but have very little soldering experience. Just curious as how difficult it is.

lingiii

Banned
hey, how do y'all jokesters stash your GBA games? just toss 'em in a box? I'd like to have them like in baseball card sleeves in a book, but the sleeves I have from old Pokemon cards don't really hold the games securely at all, and everything comes sliding out at the slightest provocation.

Het_Nkik

hey, how do y'all jokesters stash your GBA games? just toss 'em in a box? I'd like to have them like in baseball card sleeves in a book, but the sleeves I have from old Pokemon cards don't really hold the games securely at all, and everything comes sliding out at the slightest provocation.

In their boxes on a shelf.

I just dug up this old thread, though, which has some cool storage suggestions. I particularly like the tea box.

EDIT: Just found this:
walmart0.jpg

walmart1.jpg

Don't know where to buy it from, though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Just rebought the games that I had stolen from (together with my backpack and iPad Mini, sigh), plus I've ordered protector boxes for all my games, hopefully they'll get here soon. Looking forward to post my new collection.

Pretty much burned all of my gaming budget for May/June/July with this stunt... No The Last of Us for me :(

lingiii said:
hey, how do y'all jokesters stash your GBA games?

On one of my libraries' shelf: all the boxes are on display (don't have loose carts anymore) but I don't keep the carts in there cause I don't wanna ruin a box just to take out/put in again and again the cart. So the carts are all in transparent spindle, each inside a plastic shell (the GBA ones, similar to those were Ninty used to put OG GB games in ).

I keep them individually in small plastic zipper bags that are just slightly bigger than the games. They're quite common here in Japan, but i don't know how common they are elsewhere, as I don't remember seeing them when I lived in the US. I then keep all the games inside a separate box. I don't have the room to display the handful of games I have CIB right now, and even when I return stateside, I doubt I'll have the inclination to do so, especially since I threw away all my older boxes when I moved out of my old house.

Artorias

Banned
Hey guys, I just noticed this awesome thread. I hope it's cool if I post some of my collection! Sorry for the poor picture quality, my camera is pretty old.

This is just boxed stuff and all my consoles, aside from an original GBA I can't seem to find. I have 70+ loose carts (mostly GBA, a few GBC) but they don't make for great pictures.

These last two things are some of my most prized gaming goodies. Final Fantasy IV is my favorite game of all time, so I had wanted this console for a while, and finally bought a brand new one a few years ago.

I really wanted to play the FDS versions of a few of these games so I was looking for individual copies when I spotted this one on ebay for bid. It's missing the cartridges of the two Famicom Tantei Club games, but is otherwise complete.

Grizzo

Hey guys, I just noticed this awesome thread. I hope it's cool if I post some of my collection! Sorry for the poor picture quality, my camera is pretty old

That's an impressive collection ! The Game Boy Micro always looks fantastic to me, no matter the model. But the Final Fantasy IV one looks reaaaally outstanding. I can see why it's your most prized gaming goodies !

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Looks like I bought a new GBA. What are some rad platformers and sidescrolling actioners that I probably haven't heard of? I have the obvious ones (Castlevanias, Metroids, etc.) and I'm planning to get stuff like Astro Boy, but are there any more obscure titles or Japan-only releases I should consider?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I picked up a used copy of Megaman and Bass for $9.99 today, which is cheaper than you can find it on Amazon. I can't wait to play it before I go to sleep.

Looks like I bought a new GBA. What are some rad platformers and sidescrolling actioners that I probably haven't heard of? I have the obvious ones (Castlevanias, Metroids, etc.) and I'm planning to get stuff like Astro Boy, but are there any more obscure titles or Japan-only releases I should consider?
I never played them, personally, but Rayman and Pinobee always looked interesting.

A bit of a weird recommendation, but Lilo & Stitch is a surprisingly decent Metal Slug-esque sidescroller. It's worth a shot, especially considering it's dirt cheap.

Danny Dudekisser

A bit of a weird recommendation, but Lilo & Stitch is a surprisingly decent Metal Slug-esque sidescroller. It's worth a shot, especially considering it's dirt cheap.

You know, I've heard people say Lilo & Stitch is good before. Which is still a mind-boggling thing to even consider, given the source material. I should at least check out a couple of youtube clips of it.

Grief.exe

The Super Mario Advance games are probably a good place to start.

You know, I've heard people say Lilo & Stitch is good before. Which is still a mind-boggling thing to even consider, given the source material. I should at least check out a couple of youtube clips of it.

It's not Astro Boy good, but it's in that "Whoa, this is actually a competent licensed game" category.

Lady Sia, Sabre Wulf, the two Klonoa games, Rayman 3... those are all pretty good.

The Super Mario Advance games are probably a good place to start.
Why? They're just ports. I guess they have some minor added content, but ports are far from necessities, not when the games are available on so many other systems.

Haibane

Warioland 4, Densetsu no Stafy 1, 2, 3. Also seconding the Klonoa recommendation, especially Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament.

goddamn, haha you're wrong for this

Yeah, late-model GGs actually get up to 7 hours per set of batteries -- no match for the 35-hours-per-set original B&W Game Boy, but not quite "dies in the loading screen" material.

Now the model 1 Lynx, the Nomad, and the TurboExpress... 1-3 hours of battery life per set of batteries, 2-4 if you're lucky? Yeah, now those deserve that gif!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Klonoa 2, Densetsu no Stafy 1-3, Ninja Five-o, Spyro Eternal Night, Aladdin, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Contra Advance EX, Guardian Future Heroes, Rayman Advance, Rayman 3, Metal Slug Advance.
Medal of Honor Infiltrator, Spider-Man Mysterio's Menace and Bruce Lee Return of the Legend (and maybe TMNT as well) are all oddball 2D action games that you could end up loving.
I personally don't like the SONIC ADVANCE (hate the physics and inertia on Sonic himself) series but many love them. The first one is the only entry I find kinda decent myself (for reference: I LOVE Rush on NDS -not the sequel, Adventure, tho!- and Generations on 3DS).

baphomet

Has anyone tried the mod to put the GBA SP front light into a GBC? I'm really tempted to try it but have very little soldering experience. Just curious as how difficult it is.

It's definitely not easy. If you do decide to do it be very careful with the ribbon cable you solder onto. And don't even touch the front light screen. Even scratches you can't see when it's off become very visible when on. It does looks pretty excellent though.

It's definitely not easy. If you do decide to do it be very careful with the ribbon cable you solder onto. And don't even touch the front light screen. Even scratches you can't see when it's off become very visible when on. It does looks pretty excellent though.

Thanks for the input. I recently reacquired a GBC and didn't realize it was that hard to see. Now to just find a cheap SP to rip apart...

Gunstar Super Heroes is fun times. It's a very tight action platform game, and while a few things keep it from "classic" status, I still like it more than the original. It's easily Treasure's best GBA game and I would recommend it over Astro Boy.

Ninja Five-O is one of the few rare/expensive games that is actually fucking phenomenal. I wish it was easier to find because I would recommend it to everyone.

Megaman Zero series is good, but I guess you could just get the DS compilation instead to have all 4 for way cheaper.

Drill Dozer get a lot of love on this message board when it was released and I think it's well-deserved.

plc268

Eh, I've done frontlit GBCs a few times, and they generally look like ass. I've tried it several different ways, with the light coming out the side, light coming out the bottom (you have to cut the light guide for this), with anti glare coating on the screen. All of that, and it simply just doesn't look good. And in the fact that if you just get a little bit of dust on that light guide, then it looks terrible when turned on.

But then again, I can't stand the frontlit GBA SP in general. I want my backlit screens.

When I want to use a GBC nowadays, I use my chinese clone. (The GBA in the pic is not a clone)

Also, I got a few extras of those clones, so if anyone wants one, just PM me about it.

Danny Dudekisser

Why? They're just ports. I guess they have some minor added content, but ports are far from necessities, not when the games are available on so many other systems.

The Super Mario Advance ports actually make me angry, because I stupidly sold Yoshi's Island for SNES, thinking the Advance version of it with the extra levels would be as good or better. It wasn't. I just rebought the SNES version last week.

Gunstar Super Heroes is fun times. It's a very tight action platform game, and while a few things keep it from "classic" status, I still like it more than the original. It's easily Treasure's best GBA game and I would recommend it over Astro Boy.

Ninja Five-O is one of the few rare/expensive games that is actually fucking phenomenal. I wish it was easier to find because I would recommend it to everyone.

Megaman Zero series is good, but I guess you could just get the DS compilation instead to have all 4 for way cheaper.

Drill Dozer get a lot of love on this message board when it was released and I think it's well-deserved.

I didn't give Gunstar Super Heroes its fair shake... nor did I give Ninja Five-O enough of a chance. I need to pick both of those back up again. Drill Dozer... I actually got on clearance at Circuit City for $5 back in 2005. I never opened it, but still have it. I plan to change that.

I think the current list for me, just for 2D actioners/platformers that I have or plan to get is:

Astro Boy
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Drill Dozer
Gunstar Super Heroes
Klonoa
Klonoa 2
Metroid Fusion
Metroid: Zero Mission
Ninja Five-O
Wario Land 4

Was also kinda curious about Mario vs. Donkey Kong. As I recall, there were a couple DS games in that series that were more strategy games. I'm looking for something that's basically Donkey Kong 94, but... well, more of it.

Well, anyway. Should be interesting to own a GBA again, seeing as how I haven't been able to play GBA games since 2007 or so. And I can even hook it up to my fancy pants sound equipment now. Crazy! Sexy! Cool.

Yeah, late-model GGs actually get up to 7 hours per set of batteries -- no match for the 35-hours-per-set original B&W Game Boy, but not quite "dies in the loading screen" material.

Now the model 1 Lynx, the Nomad, and the TurboExpress... 1-3 hours of battery life per set of batteries, 2-4 if you're lucky? Yeah, now those deserve that gif!

Interesting! I know this is the Game Boy thread, but is there a site with more information on the battery life for various GameGear models? Everyone I talked to that owned it as a child seems to remember it being like, 2 hours of life per 6 AAs.

Interesting! I know this is the Game Boy thread, but is there a site with more information on the battery life for various GameGear models? Everyone I talked to that owned it as a child seems to remember it being like, 2 hours of life per 6 AAs.

Mine is a Majesco Game Gear. You know, the black ones (Sega Game Gears were grey), released in 2000 (US only). It came with the manual, and the manual says "7 hours" in it.

The Super Mario Advance ports actually make me angry, because I stupidly sold Yoshi's Island for SNES, thinking the Advance version of it with the extra levels would be as good or better. It wasn't. I just rebought the SNES version last week.
Yeah, I didn't buy any of the Mario Advance games during the system's life. Barely-altered ports? Forget it, I want to get new games. I did get, and love, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for the GBC, but that had lots of new content. The only port I bought for GBA was the NES Classics Zelda 1.

I thought it was very disappointing that the GBA had no Mario platformers of its own. It's the only Nintendo console without an exclusive Mario game, unless you count Mario vs. Donkey Kong, and that's a puzzle-platformer.

There was a slimline one released later called Kid's Gear. I think it was Japanese exclusive?
I don't know if that thing was actually any smaller... it looks similar in size to the regular GG.

plc268

I thought it was very disappointing that the GBA had no Mario platformers of its own. It's the only Nintendo console without an exclusive Mario game, unless you count Mario vs. Donkey Kong, and that's a puzzle-platformer.

Yea, the GBA was a weird time for Mario platformers. While other companies, and even nintendo, were pumping out new and unique games, they were simply content to just release ports. That's why the release of NSMB DS was such a big deal at the time, because it had been such a long time since a new 2D Mario platformer.

What was an even more baffling decision, IMO, was the order that they released them on the GBA. They decided to release SMB2 US first, which to most, is the weakest of the series. It has a special charm, but if it were me, I would have released SMW or SMB3 first.

But, I really dislike the ports, simply because of how they added voices. Hearing mario saying "Just what I needed!" every time you get a mushroom is annoying to the point that I'd rather play it elsewhere.

Top Bottom