• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yes, I know it has a handle, but not quite handheld enough for my taste :p

I guess a DS lite could work, but that would sort of make the recent purchase of an AGS101 screen sort of pointless haha

Yeah, you should have gotten this screen instead for a very powerful handheld that plays even Gamecube-games!

pZao5.jpg

Sound quality while on headset is pretty garbage on both my SPs (humming noise). Are there ways to get rid of it, or is it a system wide issue?

I have had some success pulling the male end of my headphones out just a tiny* bit of the female part of the adapter.
It's not far enough to break the stereo, you just have to fiddle with it but it's noticeably better.

ironmang

Please keep us updated! lol

Haven't tested any yet but on first glance all 8 look legit. Indentation on label, nintendo on the chip, and everything else seems right. About half of them are ~$10 or less on ebay so I didn't expect those to be fake. Others like Minish Cap and Aria of Sorrow I were worried about. Assuming they all run and everything, I'm really glad I went with gamestop. Already much cheaper than ebay even before the 10% PUR discount.

They even stocked FF6 GBA for $20 about a week after I paid $40 for it on ebay. oops. Would have just bought it but I was super skeptical about that being fake.

Stoked to jump into these though on my newly acquired 101 after I finish up a couple other games.

Got my copy of Golden Sun in the mail, in great condition. Just started playing (very early, 3 year flash forward after the Boulder/rain scenario) and absolutely love the graphics, atmosphere and music so far, can't believe I didn't buy this when it was released.

zN2AEkG.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Presentation is great, but the djinn-system is pretty fucked imo. Its super complex, but the game heavily rewards just stacking similar ones, making the depth completely superfluos. Which is made even worse by the fact that the game never really gives you any challenge. All in all a good looking, but poorly balances game imo.

^^^^

Sorry to hear that, I think I'm still going to really enjoy it though because a big part of why I bought it is I seriously need a much more laid back, classic JRPG to play on the side while I go through the hardcore madness that is DQ VII.

^^^^

Sorry to hear that, I think I'm still going to really enjoy it though because a big part of why I bought it is I seriously need a much more laid back, classic JRPG to play on the side while I go through the hardcore madness that is DQ VII.

It's still fun! The Djinn system isn't the best but the battle system is still cool and like you said the graphics and soundtrack are amazing. Also, it has some pretty cool puzzles in the dungeons.

Got my copy of Golden Sun in the mail, in great condition. Just started playing (very early, 3 year flash forward after the Boulder/rain scenario) and absolutely love the graphics, atmosphere and music so far, can't believe I didn't buy this when it was released.

zN2AEkG.jpg

I bought this at launch for the weirdest reasons. I had just passed a TKD test and my dad took me straight to Toys R Us and said I could buy a Gameboy Advance and 2 games. I chose X-Men(because I loved the cartoons and comics growing up) and Golden Sun..... because I liked the box art.

I do not regret my flawed logic. I enjoyed the game quite a bit. I really wish we could get a proper new entry. The DS's 3D abilities weren't enough to push the artstyle properly IMO.

Peltz

Presentation is great, but the djinn-system is pretty fucked imo. Its super complex, but the game heavily rewards just stacking similar ones, making the depth completely superfluos. Which is made even worse by the fact that the game never really gives you any challenge. All in all a good looking, but poorly balances game imo.

The story and dialogue ain't exactly compelling either. Still, I did really enjoy this game back in the day and replayed it a few times. The battle system and Djinn had its charm.

I retried it recently on GBI in 240p and felt less enthused about it.

Chastten

Banned

So, anyone know what these would be worth currently? Dragon Warrior and Mega Man IV are USA, Zelda and Castlevania Euro versions.

Currently downsizing my DVD/manga/game collections again and getting rid of stuff that'll no longer see any use. Might try and sell these if they're worth something.

TheMoon

So, anyone know what these would be worth currently? Dragon Warrior and Mega Man IV are USA, Zelda and Castlevania Euro versions.

Currently downsizing my DVD/manga/game collections again and getting rid of stuff that'll no longer see any use. Might try and sell these if they're worth something.

boxed big name franchise game from cardboard box era = default min(!) worth of 15-30€/$+++

Chastten

Banned
boxed big name franchise game from cardboard box era = default min(!) worth of 15-30€/$+++

Well, listed them on an online marketplace to see if I'd get any biters and within an hour I already got several offers between €40-100 on Mega Man IV and €60 on Castlevania. Off they go!

Gozert

Castlevania en Mega Man IV could easily get you more than €100 each if you have some patience. Zelda should get you around €50-60. Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 around €60-70, I guess.

Chastten

Banned
Yeah, got someone offering me €220 for Mega Man and Castlevania right now that wants to pick it up tomorrow. Might bite on that and get it over with.

I mean, Mega Man being worth something I get, but Castlevania is an absolutely terrible game. There's no reason for that game to be so expensive. In any case I'm happy. I picked up both games for less then €10 each at the time so this is quite a nice surprise.

Gozert

It's pretty rare, especially complete in box. It's a collector's thing. Good chance the buyer isn't interested in playing it at all. Perhaps just once to check it out.

Chastten

Banned
Yeah, I guess so.

In any case, I just sold the lot to someone for €290 total. Seemed fair and he was willing to pick it up within two hours. Easy money for games that were just collecting dust in the attic. Gave me some nice extra funds for new photography equipment.

ironmang

Got around to finally playing the games I bought and my Harmony of Dissonance copy won't save likely due to dead battery. Wario Land 4 is the only other game I bought that uses a battery for saves and it said it was corrupted when I turned it on but it saved fine anyways. Guess this is a good time to buy a 10 pack of batteries, a tri wing screwdriver, and learn how to replace batteries lol.

Got around to finally playing the games I bought and my Harmony of Dissonance copy won't save likely due to dead battery. Wario Land 4 is the only other game I bought that uses a battery for saves and it said it was corrupted when I turned it on but it saved fine anyways. Guess this is a good time to buy a 10 pack of batteries, a tri wing screwdriver, and learn how to replace batteries lol.

Oh man... lol

I'm grateful most of the other GBA games use a flash chip to save or I would have to be doing the same thing. I am planning on buying a soldering iron and stuff so I can make a little game repair/mod kit though. Already have a tri-wing, just need a gamebit now.

Had to do some light surgery on my biverted DMG the other day. Dark spots on the screen from the polarizer sticking. After solving that I'm a lot more comfortable with opening it up. Would like to start modding them soon. I need to get some busted Game Boy's to practice on.

Gozert

It's incredibly easy. You don't even need to solder anything. Although it does gives better looking results, electrial tape does the job just fine as well.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Mother 3 (1.2 fan translation). Holy shit this game is good! Highly recommended version, writing is flawless (can't comment on translation, know jack shit japanese, but in genereal the writing never felt clumsy or off to me). The combo system works like a charm too!

Finished Mother 3 (1.2 fan translation). Holy shit this game is good! Highly recommended version, writing is flawless (can't comment on translation, know jack shit japanese, but in genereal the writing never felt clumsy or off to me). The combo system works like a charm too!

One of the best GBA titles of all time.

If it ever gets an official localization I wonder how NOA will navigate the Mag*psies

tbh, while it's obvious why nintendo might want to skirt those themes, I don't feel like they're handled really awfully. Like, the magypsies aren't exactly a great design, but it's not like they're just made out to be total jokes or anything. Not to such a degree that I feel they should make any sweeping changes.

I don't think Retro-Bit have produced any FPGA consoles. They're SOAC, right?

Either way, FPGA is still a ways of from 16-bit systems; much less 32-bit ones.

Didn't realize that FPGAs were limited to 8-bit processes so far. Damn. Guess the Super Retro Boy will thus necessarily be emulation, yes?

There're not, the Motorola 68k has very good implementations for use with Atari ST / Amiga / Genesis. It just takes a lot of documentation and effort and knowhow to re-implement complicated hardware.

There's a pretty good list of what's available now and works on affordable FPGA hardware on the MIST github docs.

ironmang

It's incredibly easy. You don't even need to solder anything. Although it does gives better looking results, electrial tape does the job just fine as well.

Tried it with just tape and it's not working :(. Kind of tempted to just abandon it since I don't really want to buy a soldering iron when there's really only a couple games with batteries that may need changed.

Finally getting this newborn thing under control, and have my final exam in 2 weeks, so hope to get onto my AGB-101s again after that. Thanks for your patience all of those still on my list :)
Oh wow, congrats, Peagles.

For those waiting on a Peagles GBA, it'll be worth it! I love mine.

Finally getting this newborn thing under control, and have my final exam in 2 weeks, so hope to get onto my AGB-101s again after that. Thanks for your patience all of those still on my list :)

As long as you recognize our great sacrifice in waiting for you to get finished with all that trivial stuff. Amirite?

Good luck on final exam.

leroidys

About 10 years LttP, jumping in on Mega Man Battle Network 6. Man, this series is so good. It might be the only RPG where I'm not irritated when a random encounter pops up.

Ramma2

Finally jumped (back) in! Scored an AGS-101 for cheaper than trending on eBay and picked up a couple games + manuals. Cases are from Custom Game Cases and I printed the artwork myself; need to get a sharper cutting blade for smoother edges on the printouts though.

The SP is great, like an 8/10 which is the perfect amount of mostly nice but not so nice that I have to worry if it gets a ding here or there. Only thing wrong with it is the shoulder buttons are verrry sticky so I'm going to be tackling that this weekend and opening things up to clean them out.

EKbB9z4l.jpg

ironmang

Anybody have experience using cheap soldering irons to replace game batteries? Will only use it to change batteries and probably less than 10 ever.

Anybody have experience using cheap soldering irons to replace game batteries? Will only use it to change batteries and probably less than 10 ever.

Yeah, they will work fine. Make sure to pair that with some flux and ideally a damp sponge to clean the tip (cheap tips corrode so fast just from air unless they're cleaned); it'll make everything a lot easier.

Peagles

Oh wow, congrats, Peagles.

For those waiting on a Peagles GBA, it'll be worth it! I love mine.

Thanks man :)

As long as you recognize our great sacrifice in waiting for you to get finished with all that trivial stuff. Amirite?

Good luck on final exam.

Can I pls borrow ur username thx

Yes, it'll be fine. It's more about your soldering skill than the iron itself IMO. I use a cheap one for everything. In addition to what Sheepy said, you can coat the tip in solder between uses too.

Top Bottom