• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA games that have new life on DS Lite

Tarazet

The original GBA, as we all now understand, was a piece of garbage, partly because it felt like a cheap piece of plastic, mainly because the screen was still not backlit. With each revision, the GBA has become more and more playable. Fast-forward to June, and the DS Lite, with its vibrant (some would say excessive) color palette, is finally good enough to play anything from the GBA's back library, even out in the open. So we're in an odd position where a library as far back as 2001 can now be explored, and appreciated, literally in a new light.

Golden Sun is the first game I can think of. I thought it looked pretty damn good on my Micro, but popping it into my brother's 'dim' SP informed me of how little of the game's vibrance had actually been captured by the original systems it was played on. Whether the gameplay itself holds up is open to interpretation, but the name of the game could also be a description of its artistic style - warm, rich, and lovely.

Another example of a game improved by the DS Lite is the little-known Pocky & Rocky with Becky (2002). At the time, reviews were hard on this budget release, and it was said to look primitive, washed-out, faded. Now, in 2006, the game's authentic SNES-grade visuals and thoroughly old-school approach to gameplay (even utilizing passwords instead of game saves) can be re-evaluated. I think it passes pretty well.

What do you think?

Top Bottom