• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBASP Tattooed

Alcibiades

I hope it's not old but I didn't see a topic of this...

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/244048.asp

244048.jpg

Alcibiades

yeah, I know about Europe, I even downloaded the commercial for Tribal edition, but I didn't know they were going to release it here in the US, although ebgames.com had a slot reserved for a "custom" design since quite a while ago (which you could also pre-order, even though nobody had any idea what it was), I guess this was it...

Dagon

This is quite possibly the stupidest fucking campaign Nintendo has undertaken in a long time. I really don't get it. Besides the fact that the GBA looks terrible like that, there are so many other, better choices. How about a Pokemon edition, for starters. I'm sure that would sell better than this turd. Ugh.

mosaic

go eat paint
The only way I give a damn about this GBA is if Iron Mike is on the box and a copy of Punch-Out Advance is packed in.

Otherwise, that's $100 better saved for a DS.

Deg

Banned
jiji said:
This was announced for Europe a while back (WITH A TATTOOED MARIO NO GOD MAKE IT STOP). Sad to see they're wasting their time with it here too.

Tell that to the retailers who are selling more Tribal versions than NES versions in Europe

This is quite possibly the stupidest fucking campaign Nintendo has undertaken in a long time. I really don't get it. Besides the fact that the GBA looks terrible like that, there are so many other, better choices. How about a Pokemon edition, for starters. I'm sure that would sell better than this turd. Ugh.

Because your taste is superior? You actually think the NES design looks better?!

Bog

Junior Ace
Shit, what's this called again... ah yeah, Tribal something. Only in Europe, though.

----

Banned
Tell that to the retailers who are selling more Tribal versions than NES versions in Europe
This SP looks a lot cooler than the retro NES version. I'm not surprised it is selling so well in Europe. I was extremely tempted to pre-order this when I saw it on EBgames a few days ago, but then I looked over the GBA library and remembered why I haven't purchased a GBA game in about 2 and a half years. So basically if I were to buy this GBA it would be for no other reason than just to look at it and admire how fucking cool it looks. It's like they combined a sleek titanium Apple notebook with a cool Voodoo PC design.

If I didn't absolutely hate the GBA library this system design would have finally pushed me to upgrade to an SP. This is the coolest hardware design Nintendo has ever made. I want it, but I can't justify wasting $99 when I know that I could get 2 good Xbox games instead. If only the crappy GBA I imported from Japan a few years ago had looked like that. One of the worst system purchases I've ever made.

Deg

Banned
---- said:
but I can't justify wasting $99 when I know that I could get 2 good Xbox games instead. If only the crappy GBA I imported from Japan a few years ago had looked like that. One of the worst system purchases I've ever made.

lol. Joke character. There's simply more almost perfect games on the system than any home console.

----

Banned
Deg said:
lol. Joke character. There's simply more almost perfect games on the system than any home console.
Well I bought the system for 3D games like Mario Kart and I don't like 2D games or kiddy games, so nothing on the system appeals to me at all. It was a terrible purchase. I paid over $130 to import a GBA at launch in Japan and I own 3 games for it. The thing is this new SP's design seems targetted at adults and teenagers, but the game library for the GBA doesn't match that at all. It was a mistake for me to buy the system, it was a dumb move by me, for another age demographic maybe it's a great purchase, I don't know. I know I'm not alone though, just look at the attach ratio for GBA. People continually get drawn in by the cool hardware.

Shoryuken

---- said:
Well I bought the system for 3D games like Mario Kart and I don't like 2D games or kiddy games, so nothing on the system appeals to me at all. It was a terrible purchase. I paid over $130 to import a GBA at launch in Japan and I own 3 games for it. The thing is this new SP's design seems targetted at adults and teenagers, but the game library for the GBA doesn't match that at all.

How would you know about the game library when you only own 3 games?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Eh. We might think it's lame, but this is going to sell to those trendy, multi-pierced, tatted up folks who spend their days hanging out in tatoo parlors and buy old school Nintendo gear from Hot Topic. It's just Nintendo expanding the GBA to another target market. We'll probably be seeing much more of this kind of thing.

Deg

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
It's just Nintendo expanding the GBA to another target market. We'll probably be seeing much more of this kind of thing.

Bingo. Not everyone is like a guy posting on a forum ;)

----

Banned
Lost said:
Eh. We might think it's lame, but this is going to sell to those trendy, multi-pierced, tatted up folks who spend their days hanging out in tatoo parlors and buy old school Nintendo gear from Hot Topic. It's just Nintendo expanding the GBA to another target market. We'll probably be seeing much more of this kind of thing.
Eh. I don't think so. Lest you think everyone who buys a Voodoo PC or customizes their PC or car are a bunch of "multi-pierced tatted up" freaks. Just because you want your gameboy to look like this doesn't mean you want your face to. That's like saying everyone who wants an NES style GBA wears a denim jacket and sports a mullet. The retro GBA is pretty cool in a nostalgic sense, it's just that the tattooed gameboy is cool in a modern design sense. If a new game system came out that looked like an old 80's style video game system most people would agree that it was horrible design by modern standards. A cool modern style > a retro throwback design. The tattooed GBA SP will sell much better than the NES version when it comes out.

Shoryuken said:
How would you know about the game library when you only own 3 games?
I use this magical thing called the internet. Looking at previews/reviews, product descriptions, screens, movies, roms, etc. The games just don't appeal to me and probably most people my age, why do I need to convince you of that? You really find that hard to believe? LOL The GBA hardware was pretty terrible for it's time imo and the age focus of the games has typically been very myopic. What's worse is of the games I wasted my money on I could barely even see them thanks to Nintendo's cheapness. I'm not going to fork out $99 more just to be able to see the games which weren't even that good.

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
Understatement of the year. Don't feel bad, I bought an Xbox so I could play Mahjong. Complete waste of money.
We were initially told to expect better than Saturn graphics and when initial screens were released of 3D games it seemed like it might even be above PS graphics. When the system launched they were showing off 3D demos of Yoshi, Mario Kart, and Tony Hawk. At the time it looked like it was going to be a powerful system. What it really was was a low cost, low tech system, designed for maximum hardware profitability. If Nintendo had maintained a similar monopoly over the console industry we'd probably just be getting PSone level graphics at home now. Paying $30-$40 for a 4MB game seems like a dumb thing to do and I really feel like Nintendo took advantage of their monopoly status of the market with GBA.

I just don't have a tolerance for 8-bit/16-bit era games anymore. I can't shift from playing Xbox games back to this and be satisfied. It's not like I didn't grow up playing NES, Commodore, SNES, and Genesis games, but I can't stand them anymore. I can barely even go back to N64 era at this point. If the games were $5-$10 I could maybe justify the purchase to myself, like dropping a quarter into an arcade machine.

Anyway great hardware design. If Nintendo did this for the home console market they'd be doing a lot better with my age demographic than they are now with the purple plastic cube. I think GBA SP and DS shows that Nintendo has learned a little bit from their mistakes at the start of this generation.

GBA SP Tattooed is the #1 preordered GB item at EBgames.com right now, it is even outselling DS and Pokemon preorders.

244048.jpg
> > >
50017583.jpg

Deg

Banned
---- said:
I use this magical thing called the internet. Looking at previews/reviews, product descriptions, screens, movies, roms, etc. The games just don't appeal to me and probably most people my age, why do I need to convince you of that? You really find that hard to believe? LOL... I'm not going to fork out $99 more just to be able to see the games which weren't even that good.

Troll. I hope you get banned soon.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This tribal thing is way to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXTR3M3 for old farts like me.

T.T

"With these XTR3M3 GRAPHX on my GBA nobody will know I'm playing some KIDDY BULLSHIT. God I hate my dad! >:|"

Deg

Banned
Lambtron said:
This tribal thing is way to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXTR3M3 for old farts like me.

T.T

"With these XTR3M3 GRAPHX on my GBA nobody will know I'm playing some KIDDY BULLSHIT. God I hate my dad! >:|"

These designs are just ways of people finding their favourite look. I bet you the plain colours like Silver and Black will remain the leading looks in sales for years to come. These designs are just more choice and will apaeal to certain people. No one is the same.

IT'S-A ME!!! :)

I'm debating if I should get one of these or a plan silver one to replace then one I'm selling. I don't find it anywhere near as offensive as you guys make it seem. If it's not your taste leave it alone, it appeals to certain folks, what is it to ya?

Dagon said:

Haven't they already put out like 10 Pokemon GBAs?

Top Bottom