• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GCW Zero - new retrogaming open source handheld!

So Justin sent me some days ago an USPS tracking number but If I search for it on usps.com I got a "NOT FOUND". Is that the normal behaviour if he just sent the package?

many companies pre-register tracking codes for packages that are not yet physically sent out. Should still be found under that once it actually arrives at a post office.

Kaworu

many companies pre-register tracking codes for packages that are not yet physically sent out. Should still be found under that once it actually arrives at a post office.

I know but usually you get a notification stating more than "not found" and as a European I don't use USPS often so I asked here to get an answer from some fellow Americans.

Rich!

I know but usually you get a notification stating more than "not found" and as a European I don't use USPS often so I asked here to get an answer from some fellow Americans.

In the UK? It'll be the same code used by royal mail/parcelforce.

For example, an excellent gaffer in the US has traded an RGB N64 with me for a GBA 101 and extras. If I enter the tracking number on the USPS site, it says it's left los Angeles (presumably it's somewhere over the Atlantic now). If I enter the code on the Royal Mail tracker, it states that a parcel is expected but hasn't arrived yet.

Reclaimer

Messaged him weeks ago. Still no word on tracking numbers, status, anything.

Honestly, I'm starting to get fed up. At the very, very least he could respond to me with some information on whether my console was shipped or not, so we could see if it was lost in the mail.

Maybe time to call my credit card and get my money back?

e_i

New email:

All of the pledges still withstanding in the United States will ship FedExSmartPost on Monday r Tuesday. All European or over seas packages are being shipped and will be completed by 21st to 22nd of November 2013 via USPS.

As always if you have any concerns or questions feel free to e-mail me at contact@gcw-zero.com or via PM here on KickStarter.

Lettuce

I still dont get how the gameboy....THE GAMEBOY, a 23 year old device has a better d-pad and buttons than this device that was made in 2013!!!!?

Seriously WTF man!

Rich!

You dont need parents to design decent buttons.

Hell, I've used homebrewed consoles (a SNES portable and a custom android based one) that used custom made buttons which were faultless.

And those arent mass produced units. No excuse.

Got my Xperia play back up and running

Damn this thing is awesome (I still need to do a flex cable repair thought)

Slap a good gaming performance Custom rom and this thing does it all.

Vitacat

Messaged him weeks ago. Still no word on tracking numbers, status, anything.

Honestly, I'm starting to get fed up. At the very, very least he could respond to me with some information on whether my console was shipped or not, so we could see if it was lost in the mail.

Maybe time to call my credit card and get my money back?

Same for me. Nothing yet.

Will probably put it on ebay/craigslist if/when I do get it. Might not even bother to open it.

sörine

Banned
So any good reviews on this thing yet, should I keep it if I ever get it?
In a nutshell I'd say if you're interested in mainly 8-bit and 16-bit emulation it's worth it. Stuff might progress past that in time too.

And while the D-pad isn't great it still gets the job done for everything but fighters. Still a big dissapointment though imo, I expected better. Maybe enabling the analog eventually will help for CPS2 and NeoGeo fighters down the road.

Something that doesn't get brought up much here is that there's also a decent amount of fangames and engines being converted. I've downloaded Open Sonic, GnG Remix, Solarus (Zelda ALTTP engine), Streets of Rage Remake, OpenBOR (beat 'em up engine) and 3 other Zelda fangames already. That might be of interest to some too.

sörine;89826689 said:
And while the D-pad isn't great it still gets the job done for everything but fighters. Still a big dissapointment though imo, I expected better. Maybe enabling the analog eventually will help for CPS2 and NeoGeo fighters down the road.

Something that doesn't get brought up much here is that there's also a decent amount of fangames and engines being converted. I've downloaded Open Sonic, GnG Remix, Solarus (Zelda ALTTP engine), Streets of Rage Remake, OpenBOR (beat 'em up engine) and 3 other Zelda fangames already. That might be of interest to some too.

yeah, dont forget stuff like Lucasarts SCUMM, Duke3D, Quake etc. that are playable :D

LordAlu

sörine;89826689 said:
In a nutshell I'd say if you're interested in mainly 8-bit and 16-bit emulation it's worth it. Stuff might progress past that in time too.

Wait, there's a working port of Streets of Rage Remake? Where? I've been looking for one but all I could find was information about trying it in BennuGD but controls weren't working. o_O

sörine;89826689 said:

Would you say snes emulation is perfect?

LordAlu

For one thing, the screen is not native for SNES, so that's a ding already.

Anyone know for sure about performance?
I've not had a problem in PocketSNES yet - runs everything I've played on it with all the effects and not a hint of slowdown. The only issue is it doesn't support some of the extra cartridge chips yet so stuff like Megaman X2/X3 aren't playable.

sörine

Banned
FCEUX got a newer release. Zelda 1 no longer makes my ears bleed, yay!

Wait, there's a working port of Streets of Rage Remake? Where? I've been looking for one but all I could find was information about trying it in BennuGD but controls weren't working. o_O
Yeah, I haven't tried it yet (v5a) but it seems there are control and save issues still.

I've not had a problem in PocketSNES yet - runs everything I've played on it with all the effects and not a hint of slowdown. The only issue is it doesn't support some of the extra cartridge chips yet so stuff like Megaman X2/X3 aren't playable.
SNES9x4d runs some of the chip enhanced games playably that PocketSNES doesn't like Mega Man X2/3, Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, SFA2 and Star Ocean. Between the two emulators SNES is pretty well covered.

Fularu

Banned
Is there an amulator repository somewhere so that I can start loading up my GCW Zero?

I'd love SNES/Neo/MAME/ST/Amiga/MD/SMS/PCE emulators :D

For those receiving tracking numbers now, did Justin send out an email asking for address changes?

I finally get a tracking number and it's being shipped to my old address. I sent one request via Kickstarter PM last May asking to update my address (which he replied and said he did) and a second time when that Google form link was sent out for address updates (this was just before he started to ship the consoles).

I emailed him today about this and he said he sent out an email 3 weeks ago asking for address changes but I don't remember receiving one.

desu

The end is near?
We are glad to announce that all of the pledges within the United States and Canada have shipped as of yesterday.

The United States shipments are being handled via FedEx SmartPost, while Canadian packages are being shipped via USPS Priority International Mail. If you live in the United States, you should have received the tracking number in an e-mail from FedEx. In Canada, you should have received an e-mail from Stamps.com

Furthermore, all outstanding European and other overseas orders are packed and ready to ship.

Korosenai

Finally got my GCW.... now for the ultimate question. Do I sell it to help pay for a ps4 and use my galaxy s4 for emulating (like I have been) or do I keep it?

I wonder if someone would even buy it on ebay or craigslist. Just checked ebay and didn't see any listings. Not sure where else to try to sell it at. I may have to keep it after all :(

It's a pretty niche device for sure, Android has gotten me so lazy that im not even sure if I want to mess with all the ftp and command line stuff to load emulators and roms in this thing.

SiDCrAzY

I wonder if someone would even buy it on ebay or craigslist. Just checked ebay and didn't see any listings. Not sure where else to try to sell it at. I may have to keep it after all :(

I've seen some posted a few weeks back, check out some complete listings here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=gcw+zero&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

It's decent PS4 money, but I don't own a GCW Zero so I can't comment on experience. I'm sure your S4 can handle emulation as well as the Zero can at the moment(or ever will be)

Korosenai

Do PS1 emulators run good on the s4?
Yes. DS games too which the gcw can not do.
I've seen some posted a few weeks back, check out some complete listings here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=gcw+zero&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

It's decent PS4 money, but I don't own a GCW Zero so I can't comment on experience. I'm sure your S4 can handle emulation as well as the Zero can at the moment(or ever will be)
Yea, i've got some decent cash right now, just need some extra money from selling stuff to justify the purchase. The GCW would help with that for sure.

And dang, I just checked those listings. Some people getting $170 for their gcw's is a great deal... I might put mine up on there tomorrow.

Gunsmithx

ugh I'm super annoyed, despite filling out that damn form months ago about changing my address, he still sent it to my old place >< Thankfully my inlaws are still there so I can get it but now I have to wait a couple of days instead of just getting it today. bleh I'd be less annoyed if he wasn't a dick every time I've talked to him.

meh time to at least finally go pick up a micro sd card.

So is the system being shipped with the extras from the extended goals?

I need the mini HDMI cable to connect my Shield to the TV, its the only thing im excited about at this point.

Surkow

So is the system being shipped with the extras from the extended goals?

I need the mini HDMI cable to connect my Shield to the TV, its the only thing im excited about at this point.

Yes, the system ships with the extras from extended goals, including the miniHDMI and analog TV out cables. However please take in mind that the HDMI support for GCW Zero is still a work in progress (despite being demoed at PAX) and this feature is not enabled on the firmware available for end users.

Yes, the system ships with the extras from extended goals, including the miniHDMI and analog TV out cables. However please take in mind that the HDMI support for GCW Zero is still a work in progress (despite being demoed at PAX) and this feature is not enabled on the firmware available for end users.

Thank you Surkow. Looking forward to HDMI support in the future.

Top Bottom