• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC '10 Expectations

184407_S.jpg

Date:

March 9 - 13, 2010

Place:

San Francisco

Events: (Important ones)

March 9-10:

AI Summit

GDC Mobile/Handheld Summit

IPhone Games Summit

Independent Games Summit

Topic:

What are you expecting or hoping from this year's gamer developer conference?

Sony? MS? Nintendo? Apple? Etc?

Any big games? Design talks? Hardware talks? Relaunch (psp go)?

Sakamoto with proper Metroid footage. No DS2. DS2 is probably with select devs, but will get announced after the XL is out in all territories.

Fake Edit: Someone says something inflammatory about the Wii and ends up apologizing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lots of awesome insight into the design, progamming, art, world building, sound, and writing behind games.

Also a Metroid: Other M trailer maybe.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It looks like none of the console makers are having a conference this year, so my guess would be the organizers asked them to stop announcing games there.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Nothing really. Or like someone else said, someone insulting the Wii then apologizing. Then someone from Nintendo speaks out and says if it wasn't for them, the industry would be fucked ten times over. People pout and bow their heads.

Maybe some Natal/Arc stuff?

androvsky

Linkified said:
Nothing

Seen as it is Game Developer Conference.

And there shouldn't be anything for consumers mentioned there.

Just because there shouldn't be anything for consumers announced there, doesn't mean there are. Sony, in particular loves announcing stuff at GDC, like Little Big Planet and Home, and last year the Wii storage solution was finally announced at GDC.

So no, people shouldn't expect E3 (like they do every year), but expecting nothing is equally unrealistic.

Btw, the Warhawk sale is for two weeks. When does GDC start? :)

edit: oh yeah, forgot about Spirit Tracks too.

Oli

Probably nothing too huge. Nintendo may show something about some new hardware, but otherwise I don't expect much new newness to come from it.

Linkified said:
Nothing

Seen as it is Game Developer Conference.

And there shouldn't be anything for consumers mentioned there.
Wrong Little Big Planet was revealed at GDC for the first time same with Motorstorm and Killzone 2. I think Killzone 2 was shown behind closed doors though.
Rapping Granny said:
Gears and Killzone 3 is all I want.

And maybe a new game by Media Molecule.
Killzone 3 would be great. I hope they balance the multiplayer better this time.

But of course if Killzone 3 is revealed I doubt we'll hear anything about the multiplayer.

Peff

ME2 was also shown (albeit "unofficially", as we weren't intended to get the footage) at last year's GDC.

DMeisterJ

Banned
We know that Sony is going to be going more in depth with the ARC during a summit/conference/meeting/something with the creator of the Eyetoy, so some new information on that wouldn't be out of the question. Maybe a real name, and some more demos of what it can do, and a game or some game announcements (nothing shown).

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
New PS3 SKU

Insomniac news

Oiled up half naked Wrestling

More on OnLive

killzone 3(long shot)

NATAL vs PSmotion galore

would be great to hear more studios working on high profile games for Sony's ARC. and not just shitty family friendly games. and sony decrease the cost of Dev kits of ps3 to FREE :lol.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DMeisterJ said:
We know that Sony is going to be going more in depth with the ARC during a summit/conference/meeting/something with the creator of the Eyetoy

It's a dev workshop/session. Not a summit or conference. I think they'll talk about things that concern developers, but not address consumer-facing 'issues' like names or anything.

And the folks above are right...I don't see any mentions of any plans for conferences or the like from any of the platform holders. The keynotes all look very developer-y.

We'll get the final name and design of Sony's motion controller and a Metroid Other M trailer (this one is obvious since it's the only game at the Nintendo Media Summit that didn't get a trailer, Sakamoto obviously wanted to show it at his keynote)

Other than that, nothing for consumers (Though I'm sure we'll get some awesome keynotes with facinating info. I can't wait to hear about Sakamoto's history at Nintendo :D)

Linkified

InterMoniker said:
Wrong Little Big Planet was revealed at GDC for the first time same with Motorstorm and Killzone 2. I think Killzone 2 was shown behind closed doors though.
Killzone 3 would be great. I hope they balance the multiplayer better this time.

Wat?

I never said they didn't announce stuff, just I said they shouldn't. They should though scale back to just devs and their insight into making games not just bowing to pressure to announce games.

KAL2006

Banned
this is what I expect

Sony
Confirmation of a Nunchuck for motion controller and final name and design
More showcases of the motion controller

Natal showcase (without revealing any games)

Nintendo
Metroid Other M trailer

Maybe one new game announcement for each company but nothing too big more in the line of Ratchet and Clank, new handheld game, XBLA game and etc.

noah111

Still Alive
Nothing much to be honest, only thing I am looking forward to is Sony's wand demos as we should get more info on how it works as well as possible name or nunchuck reveal.

And the only reason I look forward to that is because I know there will be a conference about it, so no 'KZ3' expectations from me, prepare for disappoint gaf.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm. They actually have not announced any opening keynote or keynotes. The only announced keynote is Sid Meiers, on Friday.

I suppose there is still time for them to announce keynotes or conferences for Tuesday/Wednesday.

It would be disappointing if there won't be any.

well sony announced those games because it was more of dev talk about game 3.0 and tech. which was a good time. but now do they have anything to reveal to developers outside of ARC that could possibly coincide with a game reveal?

DMeisterJ

Banned
gofreak said:
It's a dev workshop/session. Not a summit or conference. I think they'll talk about things that concern developers, but not address consumer-facing 'issues' like names or anything.

And the folks above are right...I don't see any mentions of any plans for conferences or the like from any of the platform holders. The keynotes all look very developer-y.

That was the name I was looking for, workshop.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DMPrince said:
well sony announced those games because it was more of dev talk about game 3.0 and tech. which was a good time. but now do they have anything to reveal to developers outside of ARC that could possibly coincide with a game reveal?

They've shown games for the first time at GDC under various pretenses (e.g. showing off techniques or whatever). Many of Insomniac's PS3 games were shown off in some form at GDC first for example.

But any talk of Sony showing games or anything like that is premature until we even know they're going to be there, with a conference or keynote. There's no indication of that yet.

Vestal

Gold Member
Hoping to here some news from John Carmack on whats going on with his new engine, it was being touted as the next big thing a few years back, talking about the super texture and how good it was at cross platform but havent heard DICK since.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Vestal said:
Hoping to here some news from John Carmack on whats going on with his new engine, it was being touted as the next big thing a few years back, talking about the super texture and how good it was at cross platform but havent heard DICK since.

I'd rather more info on id Tech 6. Mmm, voxels.

Top Bottom