• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC: Evolving the ID@Xbox Program for Developers with Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Live

Kagey K

Banned
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/03/20/gdc-evolving-idxbox-program-for-developers/

2018 was a fantastic year for developers in the ID@Xbox program and we can’t be more excited to share what we have planned for 2019 with our fans in the coming days and months. Nearly 400 titles were released through the program last year, helping us reach a milestone of over 1,000 titles launched via ID@Xbox. We sent out developer kits to nearly 500 new studios in 2018, which means that over 3,000 studios across 67 countries now have Xbox One developer kits. With over 1,600 games in active development, we’re excited to see the variety of new experiences that teams are bringing to fans. Finally, games coming through the program have generated more than $1.2 billion in revenue since the program’s inception.

Xbox Game Pass has been and continues to be a great way for independent developers to get their games discovered while also enabling members to find their next favorite game. To date, we’ve worked with over 125 developers who have brought their games to Xbox Game Pass. Xbox Game Pass has also helped give independent developers more exposure with audiences that they wouldn’t have normally been able to reach. For example, of all the Xbox Game Pass members who played “Human: Fall Flat,” more than 40% had never played a puzzle game on Xbox before.

We’re super excited this week to start talking to developers about how they can use Xbox Live on platforms other than Xbox and Windows 10 PCs, starting with iOS and Android! This has been a big request from players and developers over the years and while we’ve done a lot of work to implement Xbox Live in some of our Xbox Game Studios games on other platforms (such as Microsoft Solitaire and Wordament), and as part of the foundational technology for the Bedrock Edition of Minecraft, we’re excited to open up this functionality to more developers soon via easy-to-use SDKs! You can learn a lot more in Kareem Choudhry’s blog posts. If you’re a developer interested in implementing Xbox Live in your iOS and Android titles, please reach out to us at www.xbox.com/id and we’d be happy to help get you started!

Kagey K

Banned
This makes it extra depressing I got recently rejected - probably the only one to ever get rejected :(.

Damn that sucks man. I'm sure you aren't the only one to get rejected. Did they at least give you some guidance or a reason for the rejection?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Damn that sucks man. I'm sure you aren't the only one to get rejected. Did they at least give you some guidance or a reason for the rejection?
Nah, just "not quite a fit for ID@Xbox". I think it just means "it looks like a shit game". I have asked whether they have some additional information on what issues they saw with the game, but they are now at GDC, so I will have to wait another week to see whether they can provide some additional information.

Considering the game is around 80% done, I do not know how much of potential feedback I could still incorporate into the game, but it could still be valuable - because everyone who does know the game otherwise are either friends or colleagues and though they all said they like the game, with people close to you, there's always a big risk they just say it to protect your feelings.

Calibos

Nah, just "not quite a fit for ID@Xbox". I think it just means "it looks like a shit game". I have asked whether they have some additional information on what issues they saw with the game, but they are now at GDC, so I will have to wait another week to see whether they can provide some additional information.

Considering the game is around 80% done, I do not know how much of potential feedback I could still incorporate into the game, but it could still be valuable - because everyone who does know the game otherwise are either friends or colleagues and though they all said they like the game, with people close to you, there's always a big risk they just say it to protect your feelings.

That does suck! Care to share any footage or details on your project?...even if they aren't interested, people here are always interested in Indie games!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That does suck! Care to share any footage or details on your project?...even if they aren't interested, people here are always interested in Indie games!
Why not? It is a 3D platformer similar in gameplay style of N64 collectathons with a somewhat bigger emphasis on precise platforming and employs a visual style somewhat reminiscent of N64 games (with low res textures and blocky geometry). The latter decisions are not purely a stylistic choice, but arise from the fact that one importnat goal for us was consistent 60fps on Wii U using Unity, so simple geometric shapes with low poly count is pretty important to achive that (well, maybe only at my experience level, but I feel that it is probably difficult to achieve the performance goal either way).

This is a small collage of screenshots from the sample video I have submitted.

p2v55u4.png

Top Bottom