• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears Tactics Review Thread

Mista

Banned
Gears-Tactics-Key-Art.jpg

IGN: 8/10
Gears Tactics does an excellent job of grafting Gears' signature look and feel onto XCOM's turn-based battle format and looks great doing it.

PC Gamer: 83/100
Clever combat abilities and brutal executions translate Gears of War into a deep, fast-paced strategy game.

Game Informer: 8.5/10
Inject some much-needed adrenaline and storytelling into the tactics milieu, even if the campaign wears out its welcome

GameSpot: 8/10
Gears Tactics carefully recreates the chaotic excitement of a Gears of War firefight in turn-based strategy form.

USgamer: 4/5
The gap between Gears and the isometric strategy genre popularized by XCOM isn't that wide, based around cover and squad action. Gears Tactics finds its niche by leaning further into the hyper-aggressive action and gore of the franchise. It throws tons of enemies at you, which forces you to move and keeps you on your toes, but can also become annoying and tedious in some missions. For a first-time outing though, Gears Tactics is a fantastic start.

Destructoid: 9/10
All my quibbles are on the periphery of Gears Tactics, though. The core -- getting onto the battlefield and agonizing over every move -- is excellent. There's a smart experience here, one that feels both authentically Gears and tactics. That's the best possible outcome. Gears Tactics is a great Gears game and a great tactics game. This 90% doesn't miss.

TheSixthAxis: 8/10
There's a sense that this is Splash Damage and The Coalition playing to the crowd with Gears Tactics. It undoubtedly captures the look and feel of the Gears universe, squeezing it into a slick turn-based tactical game, but while I can see a few genre fans attracted to its more cerebral form of warfare, it's the series fans who are going to get the most out of it.

Wccftech: 8.5/10
Gears Tactics is, simply put, an excellent turn-based tactics game that stands up well against titles like XCOM and others at the top of the genre.

ACG (@Karak ): Buy

Dualshockers: 8/10
Effectively blending the Gears of War universe with strategy gameplay, Gears Tactics is a fast-paced experience that succeeds on both fronts.

Twinfinite: 4/5
A blend of excellent gameplay and a compelling story that feels true to the Gears universe is guaranteed to turn the COGS of series veterans and newcomers alike. Gears Tactics should be on the radar of all Gears fans, even those entirely new to the tactics genre.

Press Start: 7/10
As a spin-off, Gears Tactics has strong core gameplay, but unfortunately surrounding areas in the design hold it back from being greater.

GamingBolt: 8/10
Gears Tactics marries classic Gears of War elements with engaging tactical combat. It's not as deep as X-Com, but this is a unique, enjoyable tactical game with a lot of depth that should entice fans of both Gears and X-Com.

OpenCritic: Strong - 81

Screenshot-2020-04-27-at-16-16-40.png

MetaCritic: 81

qFd6K3v.png

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

In a strange turn of events I will be playing gears tactics instead of Xcom Chimera Squad.

81 meta? Another fan accolades trailer on the way then.

They've got some real accolades this time so won't need to.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned

In a strange turn of events I will be playing gears tactics instead of Xcom Chimera Squad.

I couldn't get into xcom no matter how much I tried. I played it after Mutant Zero.

I will give this a try and hopefully i can get into it.

GHG

Gold Member
I couldn't get into xcom no matter how much I tried. I played it after Mutant Zero.

I will give this a try and hopefully i can get into it.

You should probably give Xcom Chimera Squad a go, it's a lot more streamlines than Xcom 2 and is probably better for newcomers to Xcom than it is for series veterans. If you play Xcom 2: WoTC after that you will know what you're doing a lot better than if you played the games in the opposite order.

SleepDoctor

Banned
You should probably give Xcom Chimera Squad a go, it's a lot more streamlines than Xcom 2 and is probably better for newcomers to Xcom than it is for series veterans. If you play Xcom 2: WoTC after that you will know what you're doing a lot better than if you played the games in the opposite order.

Imma give that a try, thanks.

Just realized Tactics is pc only. Odd decision to skip console.

CeeJay

Been looking forward to this for a while, great to see that it's getting solid reviews. I've been avoiding reading too much about it to go in fresh. Love me some turn based combat and hope that it doesn't disappoint like Mutant Year Zero did with it's stale repetitive gameplay.

Bartski

Gold Member
GREAT! It actually made me join gamepass and finish GEARS 4 and 5 just in time. Predownload done, I'm ready!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Great review scores. Looking forward to playing Gears Tactics at year's end on Xbox Series X. November can't get here fast enough!!!

Darrec

Neo Member
Better than expected but not that impressive either. Above all, i'm glad it's not another MS blunder.

Watched the DF tech video and ARG's, the game seems great, better than I expected. Pre-installed on PC Game Pass, can't wait to play.

Part XCOM, part Dawn of War II? Count me in. I read there are some endgame battles to participate in once the story concludes that can round the experience out to 30ish hours for most people, sounds great to me

Last edited:

dorkimoe

had it preloaded for a few weeks now. LETS GOOO

I was enjoying xcom on xbox recently but ended up getting so frusturated i uninstalled. I wanted to play at my own pace, but it was like the sims trying to manage too much. The advent thing or whatever it was called was just too much.

MiguelItUp

Oh wow, cool to see this reviewing so positively! I'll admit I wasn't too stoked about the marketing materials with the quote mentioning "no microtransactions". It made it feel like they had nothing else to say, I thought it was kind of weird, lol.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Bloody hell, I got all caught up in the gut punch/kick in the balls combo that was the Last of Us spoiler leaks & almost missed this good news! It's great to see Gears Tactics delivers. Had my fingers crossed for it.

I'm happy to hear that it doesn't quite go as in depth as XCOM. Sounds right up my alley, as that game is just a bit too much for me. Now to wait on that console release. At least I know I'm waiting on a good game when it arrives :messenger_grinning:

splattered

I noticed in the IGN review they point out a lack of grid system so it isn't always easy to tell where you can move with your character... I haven't played a ton of these types of games (Mutant Year Zero most recent) but I wonder how much of an oversight that was (If at all) and if something like that could be patched in after the fact?

I have to admit that I'm REALLY looking for a simpler Xcom right now. Something to play in chunks. I'm still scared to check the OP for review scores. I want this to be a 8/10 at least :(

wzy

I have to say the crates and equipment upgrades are really ruining this for me. I can't think of anything less interesting or exciting that fiddling with fucking +5% damage weapon mods and things of that nature. I'm expecting this to become really extremely tedious when I've got a bigger squad to look after as well.

I have to say the crates and equipment upgrades are really ruining this for me. I can't think of anything less interesting or exciting that fiddling with fucking +5% damage weapon mods and things of that nature. I'm expecting this to become really extremely tedious when I've got a bigger squad to look after as well.

Normally I love this kind of thing. I’m about 12 hours in and I kinda wish the menus/navigation through upgrading and managing mods and armor squad-wide was a little more streamlined. It feels kinda like a chore to me right now.

Thru 12 hours I’d say the game is an 8. Reallt like it so far

pr0cs

noticed in the IGN review they point out a lack of grid system so it isn't always easy to tell where you can move with your character
I haven't had a problem at all, if you have played gears you know exactly where you can and can't cover from.
For me most often the camera is too high, from way up high some shots look doable but you take them and hit the wall/object instead.
To me the camera and its very limited zoom hurts the game the most.
They should have enabled a first person mode to validate positioning

wish the menus/navigation through upgrading and managing mods and armor squad-wide was a little more streamlined.
The whole menu system feels half baked, no idea how they thought the equipment management system was adequate

I haven't had a problem at all, if you have played gears you know exactly where you can and can't cover from.
For me most often the camera is too high, from way up high some shots look doable but you take them and hit the wall/object instead.
To me the camera and its very limited zoom hurts the game the most.
They should have enabled a first person mode to validate positioning

The whole menu system feels half baked, no idea how they thought the equipment management system was adequate

The camera could definitely use a little bit of tweaking or added functionality

diffusionx

Gold Member
I’m playing this now, looks great and works wonderfully in ultra wide, but does anyone else wish it was real time like Dawn or War 2? Just seems like that is a perfect fit in so many ways,

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Wait, so Splash Damage isn't owned by Microsoft? I assumed MS had acquired them, but apparently, they are owned by a Chinese Poultry Firm.

Why didn't MS buy them since basically all they work on is MS projects?

Top Bottom