• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears Tactics World Premiere

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Gears Tactics debuted at The Game Awards 2019 with a trailer showcasing some of its XCOM-styled gameplay. I've never played the Gears series, as they haven't yet all come to PC, but this looks like it could be a real great time. Claims to offer a 40+ hour campaign.

Coming April 28, 2020 to Steam, Windows 10 & Xbox Game Pass for PC.
(Does this mean it's not coming to Xbox?)
(Edit: Xbox coming later. No microtransactions.)

Last edited:

DiscoJer

Is it just combat or is there a strategy layer?

edit: It also struck me how badly XCOM needs bayonets.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I used to be hyped for this, but The Coalition killed almost all my interest in the series with Gears 5.

And yeah, I have serious doubts about the "no mtx" claim. Perhaps there won't be any hats or gestures to buy for $9.99, but I'm sure they will come up with something else. Hell, they might even "surprise" us with some new "mechanics".

mejin

I used to be hyped for this, but The Coalition killed almost all my interest in the series with Gears 5.

And yeah, I have serious doubts about the "no mtx" claim. Perhaps there won't be any hats or gestures to buy for $9.99, but I'm sure they will come up with something else. Hell, they might even "surprise" us with some new "mechanics".

This game is not from The Coalition, if I'm not mistaken.

The crazy thing is this game feels more like Gears franchise than Gears 5. At least this trailer is pure hype.

Fbh

Looks great. The world and visuals really fit well with this genre.
And I can always use some other strategy franchise now that Fire Emblem has gone full anime relationship simulator

Lupin3

This game is not from The Coalition, if I'm not mistaken.

The crazy thing is this game feels more like Gears franchise than Gears 5. At least this trailer is pure hype.

No, I think it's Splash Damage or something, but probably in heavy collaboration with TC and MS. But it doesn't matter to me, TC made Gears 5 and they fucked it up badly.

Grinchy

Banned
I can't wait to check it out. I hope it just mostly rips off the XCOM formula as much as possible. Mario XCOM was an amazing Switch game because they copied just the right amount of the formula.

gatti-man

The coalition can’t make interesting characters. I don’t even know why I play gears anymore. It’s some nostalgia habit where I keep hoping the magic will come back

Codes 208

Someone on reddit pointed out that the main character seems to be Kait’s dad.

so some interesting potential lore here atleast.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Sounds like Gears 5 wasn't really liked here. I thought people thought it was good.

It's overall a bad game, but with great core mechanics.

The campaign wasn't far from awful. Bland characters (does anyone even remotely like Kait and Del?), badly implemented open-world segments and extremely predictable encounters.

Multiplayer was fun for a couple of hours, then you realize how barebone it is. Completely shaped after the disgusting in-game store. A store that can fuck right off to hell.

/imho

xrnzaaas

Game is looking awesome, I've lost interest in the main series, but I'll definitely play Gears Tactics because of my love for the XCOM-like games. :)

Top Bottom