• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeForce Now…when did this become so good?

So picked up a legion go and have been loving the device. Screen is top notch and you can squeeze out quite the performance on this bad boy as well, so no complaints. Then I hear the legion go Reddit singing the praises of GFN, so I’m like what the hell, I’ll take a look at the ultimate version for laughs. Well eff me, this platform is utterly fantastic, and paired with the Go’s screen, and the stars have aligned. Not one noticeable instance of pixelation, disconnects, frame drops, nada after ~8 hours of testing.

Mind, I’ve got gig internet and legion go supports WiFi 6e, but honestly might not play anything outside of niche titles on the device itself. F*cking congrats Nvidia you saucey bastards. Coming from the PlayStation portal, I was not expecting much but this is streaming done right.

Zuzu

Cloud gaming has a big future ahead it but it will take time. As more of the world gets faster and more reliable internet and wifi and more data centres are built it will keep improving. But companies just need to introduce it incrementally as an option for now, not go all in when the technology isn’t there for everyone.

Last edited:

Zadom

So picked up a legion go and have been loving the device. Screen is top notch and you can squeeze out quite the performance on this bad boy as well, so no complaints. Then I hear the legion go Reddit singing the praises of GFN, so I’m like what the hell, I’ll take a look at the ultimate version for laughs. Well eff me, this platform is utterly fantastic, and paired with the Go’s screen, and the stars have aligned. Not one noticeable instance of pixelation, disconnects, frame drops, nada after ~8 hours of testing.

Mind, I’ve got gig internet and legion go supports WiFi 6e, but honestly might not play anything outside of niche titles on the device itself. F*cking congrats Nvidia you saucey bastards. Coming from the PlayStation portal, I was not expecting much but this is streaming done right.
Last year when I got my Logitech G Force I tried it and also was really impressed. I then got the Nvidia Shield and it also worked great. Used it for a few months with great experiences. The only reason I let my subscription lapse was I don’t have enough time for that and my PS5 and only wanted to game on one platform. It will be a real winner if all pc games had compatibility with it.

hlm666

It's been good for years depending on your location. People just kept lumping it in with other cloud streaming services without even trying it and making blanket statements about it. Even John from DF when he eventually tried it had to walk back some of his blanket statements.

WitchHunter

Banned
Cloud gaming has a big future ahead it but it will take time. As more of the world gets faster and more reliable internet and wifi and more data centres are built it will keep improving. But companies just need to introduce it incrementally as an option for now, not go all in when the technology isn’t there for everyone.
Bloody idiots sucking up and feeding the machine god. 100 years and all you idiots will be born with a leash around your neck and let the AI dictate what to eat, how to behave.

Give your money to the snake. Feed it, then let it devour you.

It's not that good, It's just slightly better than all the other awful streaming services.

I recommend learning to save money and buy a PC, Handheld, or if your cheap a console.
Make an account with a Bank or Credit Union.
The last generation began in 2013, over 10 years ago.
400 dollars is the going rate for a new PS5.
If you saved 40 dollars a year, $3.33 a month.

A damn good gaming PC can be had for less than 1500, the going price of a new PC with an RTX 4080 super.
12 dollars a month.
I don't think anyone is going to convince me to pay to play game streaming.

Aces High

Highest Tier GeForce Now costs $20 per month.

That will give you guaranteed RTX4080 performance + all AI fratures + 4k 120Hz.

That's €240 per year for a high end gaming system.

Here in Europe, RTX4080 costs around $1,200. So with mainboard, CPU, RAM, SSD, PSU, case you will quickly end up at $2,000 for a gaming system with that power.

You can get more than 8 years of highest tier GeForce Now for the price of a modern gaming PC.

Buying PCs is stupid anyway. It's just like with cars: The loss of value is insanely high. The $2,000 PC will be worthless in 8 years.

I can see that streaming makes no sense if you don't have the internet connection or you are doing competitive esports.

But for everyone else, it's the cheapest entry to PC gaming.

I would highly recommend it to everyone who wants to check out PC gaming but can't afford the hardware.

Last edited:

Jesb

It’s great, it’s all I need for gaming. I’m just disappointed in the wifi on the shield. I can’t seem to get an excellent connection all the time. Even with a wifi extender. All other devices all have excellent signal but not always with the shield device. But it’s definitely good enough to enjoy it.

I hope more and more companies come on the service. There’s a lot missing but there’s still more than I can ever need. I hope Sony get on it eventually.

buenoblue

The smaller screen helps a lot, and GeForce Now only supports a limited amount of games so it's a no go for me from the start.

Schmick

It's not that good, It's just slightly better than all the other awful streaming services.

I recommend learning to save money and buy a PC, Handheld, or if your cheap a console.
Make an account with a Bank or Credit Union.
The last generation began in 2013, over 10 years ago.
400 dollars is the going rate for a new PS5.
If you saved 40 dollars a year, $3.33 a month.

A damn good gaming PC can be had for less than 1500, the going price of a new PC with an RTX 4080 super.
12 dollars a month.
I don't think anyone is going to convince me to pay to play game streaming.
Why do that when GFN works? I subscribe to the service... and apart from playing CS2 when I prefer local hardware* GFN is my go to.

A 4080 alone is £1000.

*I tried CS2 on GFN and it actually works really well.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's been really good for a while. Input lag was still noticeable for me last time I tried, so not perfect, and I'll still pass, but very good.

acm2000

GFN has been top notch for years, as with all streaming services your mileage may vary depending on distance to the server, here in the uk the lag is barely even noticeable

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Here in Europe, RTX4080 costs around $1,200. So with mainboard, CPU, RAM, SSD, PSU, case you will quickly end up at $2,000 for a gaming system with that power.

You can get more than 8 years of highest tier GeForce Now for the price of a modern gaming PC.

Buying PCs is stupid anyway. It's just like with cars: The loss of value is insanely high. The $2,000 PC will be worthless in 8 years.

I can see that streaming makes no sense if you don't have the internet connection or you are doing competitive esports.

I would highly recommend it to everyone who wants to check out PC gaming but can't afford the hardware.

Wow! I had no idea a high end can only be used for gaming. I always thought it was a multi purpose computing device you could for like everything! Things like wordprocessing, browsing the web, watching movies, creating graphics, editing videos, whatever you can think of.

Schmick

Wow! I had no idea a high end can only be used for gaming. I always thought it was a multi purpose computing device you could for like everything! Things like wordprocessing, browsing the web, watching movies, creating graphics, editing videos, whatever you can think of.
I can do most of that on a really cheap laptop (creating graphics, editing photos is not for everyone and perhaps does require a high end pc although I believe you can edit using the cloud as well).

That same cheap laptop can access GFN Ultimate and play modern games (like Cyberpunk) at ultra setting, with RTX, DLSS, at the highest resolution that cheap laptop can go. And I bet that within that 8 years Aces High Aces High stipulated GFN Ultimate subscribers will be given access to the next generation of GPU's perhaps even the next generation after that too.

Aces High

GFN has been top notch for years, as with all streaming services your mileage may vary depending on distance to the server, here in the uk the lag is barely even noticeable

Selecting servers is something that should be done manually within the app. It's pretty easy and you can immediately test the connection after selecting a different server.

I live 90 minutes from Frankfurt and 3 hours from Amsterdam. Amsterdam server gives me 12 ms ping with wifi and standard DSL and Frankfurt gives me 24 ms.

I'll be getting a fibre optic connection with gigabit speed this year. I think that's a point where I will stop upgrading my PC and just do GFN with ethernet connection going forward for gaming.

Ironically, all these things are done in the cloud today. So you just need a thin client with potato hardware. Operating system doesn't matter anymore today.

Cloud gaming is the next step. Just because Microsoft and Sony suck at cloud gaming, doesn't mean it's a bad thing.
Nvidia has the money, the talent and the brand to make this happen.

Aces High

Technically they are way ahead, but the game selection is abysmal.
They have Gamepass, they have Activision, Bethesda, Capcom, CD Projekt, EA, Sega, Ubisoft, Valve. They're in talks with Blizzard right now afaik.

I wouldn't call that abysmal.

I just checked: they even have the From Software games except the Sony exclusive Bloodborne and Demon's Souls.

Last edited:

Spyxos

They have Gamepass, they have Activision, Bethesda, Capcom, CD Projekt, EA, Sega, Ubisoft, Valve. They're in talks with Blizzard right now afaik.

I wouldn't call that abysmal.

I just checked: they even have the From Software games except the Sony exclusive Bloodborne and Demon's Souls.
They have some Gamepass games, very limited. They have some Capcom games very limited same for Ea, Sega. But yes, they have almost everything from Ubisoft.

Last edited:

MetalRain

I think Geforce Now is great value, but I'm really irritated about image quality you get. Especially darker games look bad when streamed, since most codecs compress more heavily darker regions that people are "unlikely to see", producing a lot of color banding.

But if you don't mind then sure, don't spend thousands on PC.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Many won’t like this post but it’s absolutely right.

Now imagine the new switch 2 had a partnership with Nvidia since they are doing their chipset and they included GFN on it.

Could get spicy.

Last edited:

mrcroket

Except you cannot play all the pc games, only supported games, it's even more limited that any console so what is the point?

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ironically, all these things are done in the cloud today. So you just need a thin client with potato hardware. Operating system doesn't matter anymore today.

Cloud gaming is the next step. Just because Microsoft and Sony suck at cloud gaming, doesn't mean it's a bad thing.
Nvidia has the money, the talent and the brand to make this happen.

Yes, you can run virtual PCs in the cloud. That's nothing special, that's exactly what cloud computing is. But it's not free and there'll be a surcharge if you need 3D/accelerated graphics since that required special server hardware.

The thing is that for MS/Nvidia/Sony/etc consumers running their own software on their own computing devices is ALWAYS the more cost efficient, more lucrative option. Everybody's always going on about the cloud being the future, but no one's interested in the business case why it would make actual financial sense for any of these companies to push cloud computing/game streaming/etc. People here are only looking at it from the consumer's perspective and never consider the billion dollar investments needed to design, produce, install and maintain all of that custom built graphics intensive server hardware all over the western world and how those companies are going to get that money back through subscriptions. Almost everyone seems to think that video game streaming is in no way different from video streaming when the reality is that it is radically different.

kruis

Many won’t like this post but it’s absolutely right.

Now imagine the new switch 2 had a partnership with Nvidia since they are doing their chipset and they included GFN on it.

Could get spicy.

Have you thought even one second about the hardware/software backend at GFN to make such a thing work? Do you think Nintendo is going to send Nvidia a Switch 2 emulator running on Windows/Linux so it's compatible with their current server hardware? Or perhaps Nintendo is going to create native Windows/Linux ports of their games for GeForce NOW? Or maybe you think Nintendo and Nvidiai are going to co-produce Switch 2 server blades that can be used for cloud gaming?

And why on earth would Nintendo even want to consider this idea?

TrebleShot

Have you thought even one second about the hardware/software backend at GFN to make such a thing work? Do you think Nintendo is going to send Nvidia a Switch 2 emulator running on Windows/Linux so it's compatible with their current server hardware? Or perhaps Nintendo is going to create native Windows/Linux ports of their games for GeForce NOW? Or maybe you think Nintendo and Nvidiai are going to co-produce Switch 2 server blades that can be used for cloud gaming?

And why on earth would Nintendo even want to consider this idea?
To entice new users/pc users that want to play nintendo exclusives but play their steam/epic library on a handheld? I mean its pretty obvious.

kruis

To entice new users/pc users that want to play nintendo exclusives but play their steam/epic library on a handheld? I mean its pretty obvious.

Dog Eye Roll GIF by Rover.com

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Since launch it is this "good".

???

New/pc users already can play nintendo exclusives and steam/epic library on a handheld.

Last edited:

Aces High

Yes, you can run virtual PCs in the cloud. That's nothing special, that's exactly what cloud computing is. But it's not free and there'll be a surcharge if you need 3D/accelerated graphics since that required special server hardware.

The thing is that for MS/Nvidia/Sony/etc consumers running their own software on their own computing devices is ALWAYS the more cost efficient, more lucrative option. Everybody's always going on about the cloud being the future, but no one's interested in the business case why it would make actual financial sense for any of these companies to push cloud computing/game streaming/etc. People here are only looking at it from the consumer's perspective and never consider the billion dollar investments needed to design, produce, install and maintain all of that custom built graphics intensive server hardware all over the western world and how those companies are going to get that money back through subscriptions. Almost everyone seems to think that video game streaming is in no way different from video streaming when the reality is that it is radically different.
You're wrong.

A centralisation of resources will always be more cost-efficient than decentralisation.

Topher

Gold Member
Good? The input lag is noticable, and their library of games are weak. They mostly add new indie games.

Lag is better than any other service in my experience, but that is going to vary from location to location. Who has a better library of games than Geforce Now?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Sadly, loads of AAA games are missing from this list.

And there is no good reason for it. Publishers decide if their game is on the the service or not. I guess they want Nvidia to pay them for people to have access to games they have already purchased. But even still, that library has a lot more than most from what I can tell.

kruis

You're wrong.

A centralisation of resources will always be more cost-efficient than decentralisation.

This is not about cost-efficiency, it's about profitability.

What do you think will make Sony more money:

1 - Selling 50 million PS5s to consumers, locking them into Sony's ecosystem where they buy proprietary PS accessories and PS4/5 games where all these things generate profits from day one

or

2 - First finance, build, install and maintain tens of millions proprietary PS5s in data centers all over the world (with each PS5 handling only ONE simultaneous player) and then recoup all those multi billion dollar investments through subscription fees?

In the world of game streaming from cloud servers people expect to be able to play games without being limited to a single device. Sony will hardly sell any accessories anymore, since every game has to be playable on other devices including phones. Nobody's going to buy PS controllers, headphones, VR addons, etc. People expect cloud gaming services to work like Netflix, so they'll be very disinclined to buy games on any services. Those games will be included in the subscription fee or you can rent them. This means that unlike the traditional console model, PS gamers aren't going to be locked into that ecosystem, they can cancel their subscription any time and move over to something else.

JCK75

I started to use it again.. plahed like 5 hours of BG3.. then as I realized none of my progress uploaded to the steam cloud and I lost every second of that playthrough I've not tried it again.

Kilau

GFN has always been the best, sadly it was even better when it was in beta. Every game in my Steam library worked and it was free.

coolmast3r

"Not one noticeable instance of pixelation, disconnects, frame drops"

yeah, and I imagine it has 0mz latency as well!!!

God I hope as more people stumble into and get disappointed by this whole streaming fad, it will die off for good.

Top Bottom