• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genji: Dawn of the Samurai announced for US, preview + videos

acklame

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/607/607323p1.html

We knew it would be coming to the states eventually, but now it's official: Genji: Dawn of the Samurai is headed for North America this October. Developed by the talented crew at Game Republic (headed up by the legendary Yoshiki Okamoto), this new blend of sword-based action and RPG advancement feels very much like the perfect successor to Capcom's Onimusha series. At the very least, it's much easier to get into with a user-friendly layout and plenty of badass opponents to keep you busy. Sony has even decided to keep the original Japanese voice-overs intact in order to stay true to the game's spirit. But don't worry; there will still be subtitles for English speakers whose foreign vocabulary is limited to "sushi" and "arigatou."

Though it was previously playable at the 2004 Tokyo Game Show, I had the opportunity to give a newer English-infused build the once-over at Sony's Pre-E3 day yesterday in Santa Monica. Needless to say, the game has definitely come a long a way since its debut last September with a much tighter graphical look and faster, smoother reaction times. If I had to compare it to something, I'd have to say that Genji plays a lot like Onimusha 3 mixed with Bujingai, with a little bit of Dynasty Warriors thrown in for good measure. And if you've never played any of those games before, then welcome to the year 2005 -- it's time for you to buy a PlayStation 2.

Unlike Onimusha, however, Genji also allows players to perform a series of air-combos (like the aforementioned Bujingai) which can then be chained into further ground combos for a single kick-butt result. What's interesting about this is that the whole philosophy behind this gameplay is to kill as many enemies as possible with as few blows as possible -- it'll give you higher clear rankings and better bonuses when the stage ends.

What stood out most about Genji, though, was how beautiful it looks. The environments are extremely detailed, with subtle weather effects, falling leaves, and some of the best use of texture I've seen for the PlayStation 2. Impressively, Dawn of the Samurai shows off all this detail without losing a single step in the framerate -- it's always at a constant 60 frames per second, regardless of how many enemies are on the screen, and boasts more special effects than all the other Onimusha games combined. In short, it's a very exciting experience and a definite treat for the eyes.

tons of videos:
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/700/700641/vids_1.html

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
genji-20050419112010422.jpg

That logo kind of reminds me of this:
938287b.jpg

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Very nice looking, I may import that one. I can't wait to see what these guys can do with Xbox360 though :)

Andy787

Banned
Excellent, this game looks absolutely amazing. The PS2 is running on all cylinders this year, this may very well turn out the best year for PS2 software ever, imo.

sly

Banned
Looks gorgeous! I can't wait! Hopefully they'll consider a PAL release.

ManaByte said:
That logo kind of reminds me of this:
938287b.jpg

Oh no! Please don't remind of that horrible game! :lol

Top Bottom