• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genso Suikoden series Encyclopedia

Milhouse.jpg

Suikoden is back!!! In encyclopedia form.

I had a copy of the first Suikoden Encyclopedia that covered 1, 2, Suikogaiden and the Card game. It was a really great book and did an incredible amount to flesh out the Suikoworld.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So the OST disk set, then the pachishot game, and now this? Is Konami trying to renew interest in the series again? Should I rejoin those still hopeful for a new RPG?

Edit: Wait, did this already come out?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
It came out in March. I got one. It's pretty goddamn legendary, but also devastatingly sad. Where are you, Yoshitaka Murayama?

Xelinis

Wow, GAF didn't already know about this? This has been discussed for over half a year now over at Suikosource and Suikox.

Aokage said:
It came out in March. I got one. It's pretty goddamn legendary, but also devastatingly sad. Where are you, Yoshitaka Murayama?

Writing the current Magic the Gathering manga.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Xelinis said:
Writing the current Magic the Gathering manga.

I know. It's sad. I like to make myself even sadder by interpret his blog post from January as meaning that he was offered Gensui VI, but turned it down.

Abel

itemNM0275p2_1.jpg

I love the Fumi Ishikawa Luc & friends art :3 Also, the S1-S5 art she did there is amazing too!

Suikoden 6 with Fumi Ishikawa
and Pesmerga!
would be ungodly :D

Xelinis

What has Ishikawa been working on since Oz anyway? I know that a couple of rumors pointed to her working on Love Plus, but I haven't found any concrete information.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It still kills me dead that we never got an english translation of Genso Suikoden I+II for PSP. That's such a great version for lovers of those games, I would have at the very least expected a European translation....

daoster

It's suppose to have nothing new in the information anyways.

Konami releases just enough Suikoden-related material so that fans will buy them in hopes of something that might point to a sequel...but nothing ever comes out of it.

Still, fans will still buy the crap, hoping, praying, BELIEVING.

Time to move on~!

MrDaravon

Himuro said:

I fucking LOVE Suikoden, but you need to let it die dude. Most (all?) of the people involved with the great Suikoden games are gone. Look at shit like the Shining and Sonic series; even if they did any more, there's a 99% chance it would suck. Unless there was involvement from old staff, it would be an empty shell. I've accepted that there are some series that I will never get a good (or any) sequel to.

Acceptance is the first step.

Xelinis

Y'know, I was replaying III just earlier today and it made me realize just how far ahead of its time it was. It had a lot of really excellent ideas that couldn't be fully realized at the time and the game really does represent the natural evolution of the Suikoden series. As much as I enjoyed V, in some ways, it really was somewhat of a step back for the series. I really hope that Sakiyama (V's director) looks at those ideas and tries to incorporate them into the next game.

RSLAEV

Himuro said:
Nope. Suikoden 5's director and writer had no prior experience with the series and look how that turned out.

You mean not that great?

Yeah that's right I went there...

Xelinis

Himuro said:
Nope. Suikoden 5's director and writer had no prior experience with the series and look how that turned out.

Tsugawa's (V's writer) also served as writer for Skies of Arcadia. If you ask me, Suikoden was the IDEAL place for him to wind up.

Xelinis

Himuro said:
I definitely agree. 5 was a step back in some ways, despite its quality. I'd like to see what they learned with 5 and implement it into a radical Suikoden game ala 3. Trinity Sight needs to be re-explored.

I think that III's skill system is what I miss the most, which was something they kind of fouled on in V.

Lard

Banned
jj984jj said:
So the OST disk set, then the pachishot game, and now this? Is Konami trying to renew interest in the series again? Should I rejoin those still hopeful for a new RPG?

Edit: Wait, did this already come out?

OST Disc set?

Also, I've given up.

This is a way of trying to pacify fans, instead of hyping them up.

Vamphuntr

Suikoden II is my favorite by far. We should do a gaf play thread eventually :D . I always end up using Shiro, Sierra and Kasumi in my party plus two other that I cycle when Nanami is not around.

I would kill for a Suikoden VI. The DS game blows...

This encyclopedia was announced a while ago, but it is nice that Konami is releasing so much new Suikoden merchandise.

Himuro said:
Murayama saying no to the Konami thing just...really breaks my heart. That was my biggest hope for the series since Tierkreis and now it's crushed.

It's like...why do I fall in love with games that start with the letter S, man?
He never said that it was an offer from Konami, we all just filled in the blank with no real evidence to back it up. While it's a strong possibility, it doesn't mean it's the truth.

While having him back would be great, Suikoden can exist and thrive without him.

Xelinis

Himuro said:
Murayama saying no to the Konami thing just...really breaks my heart. That was my biggest hope for the series since Tierkreis and now it's crushed.

We don't know that man, he could've been saying no to working at SE or some other game company. Heck, maybe it didn't have anything to do with games at all.

hitsugi

I feel like the original Suikoden never gets enough credit when it comes to discussing the series.. The first 2 were my favorites; possibly because they tied in so well with each other

Bebpo

Banned
B.K. said:
No it can't.

This. Without him the Suikoden plot is dead and the overall storyline of the series is the best part of it.

hitsugi said:
I feel like the original Suikoden never gets enough credit when it comes to discussing the series.. The first 2 were my favorites; possibly because they tied in so well with each other

The original is great. Short but sweet. 1 & 2 are my favorites as well.

Bebpo said:
This. Without him the Suikoden plot is dead and the overall storyline of the series is the best part of it.
You don't think V added to the canon meaningfully? Even IV & Tactics, despite their flaws, have story merit.

If we start getting into Tierkreis territory again, that's when it's time to get worried.

Quit playin games with my heart. No more bringing up Suikoden VI till it's official! Or anything Suikoden related for that matter, it pains too much.

Laughing Banana said:
So.... is this good news for a new Suikoden game or should I prepare to cry again?
Well it doesn't really confirm anything.

The one positive thing you can take away though is that it's doubtful a company would bother putting together such a gigantic book, (the vast majority being text) about a series they didn't care about. Suikoden has an extremely daunting amount of information to keep track of.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Laughing Banana said:
So.... is this good news for a new Suikoden game or should I prepare to cry again?
It just means Konami hasn't given up yet. I at least expect some 3DS ports of the games, maybe this time in English!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
shykyoichi said:
I thought... that after Tierkreis, you have joined the fold into accepting the end.
Tierkreis is an odd odd Suikoden. It is not bad, but it tosses out the normal conventions of the game, though I really liked how the main character had a personality of his own.

I also have no idea what is up with that name. Does it mean something, or did they just randomly string syllables together?

I'm not marriage material, I'm too selfish.

Just keep the Suikoden dream alive. I remember how hyped the community was for Suikoden V, and I'm looking forward to that fervor returning.

Lard

Banned
zoku88 said:
Holy.....

Weren't most of those only 2 discs (except V, which has 4 discs, I believe.)

SII's soundtrack is also four discs.

I'd consider buying that except I have most of it already, and I'll never give money towards anything to do with Tierkreis.

scurker

Damnit. Stop bumping these threads. Am make me cry.

That soundtrack looks amazing! Too bad I have most of them already.

I guess this is as good of a place as any. A long time ago, I made a bunch of images from Suikoden II, some of which I haven't used: http://simgaming.net/suiko/ Feel free to use them if you like, just as long as you don't use my soup one.

GhaleonQ

zoku88 said:
Holy.....

Weren't most of those only 2 discs (except V, which has 4 discs, I believe.)

They aren't even being produced without enough failures after the failure of the (incomplete) Castlevania box.

Top Bottom