• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley and Youtube Gaming launch weekly live talk show on Sept. 29

Nice to see Geoff doing a regular show again.

Hopefully Xavier Woods gets on there some day, really like some of his stuff.

WWE got that money too.

He needs to get Gerstmann on there too with them never mentioning GB and instead just talking about his youtube channel and retro games.

Oh lord, every thread has one.

I suggest you look in the mirror. In fact watching someone called "AngryJoe" may not be in your best interest if that's how you fly off the handle with someone who doesn't see eye to eye with you. If I'm the old man yelling, then you're the young child throwing a hissy fit.

Now i've never questioned their appeal. It's pretty apparent that they have massive appeal. That's fine and great. But I don't care about appeal. Appeal means nothing to me. What does appeal matter to you? How does having huge appeal improve the content of the show?

That's my issue. It's like bringing Katy Perry on to discuss the Nintendo NX. Huge appeal, but what in the hell does she know about Nintendo or the industry. As I said earlier i would like people who have actually "worked" in the industry to give their "educated and experienced" opinions. Bring on Pachter or some other analysts. Bring on any number of journalists who have lived writing about the industry for the past 20 years. Bring on the people who "actually make the games". Just because you play games in front of a webcam doesn't make you knowledgeable about the industry at large.

Now they might have that stuff but judging by what has been announced it doesn't sound all that appealing to me. And what's wrong with that? Am I not allowed to be disappointed that the show may not be what I was hoping for? Have you ever watched what Keighley used to do with his work on the Bonus Round? That's what I would like to see him do.

EDIT:

Congratulations. I am clearly not as "hardcore" as you. I don't even know who these "here today gone tomorrow" people are. Good for you.

😂😂😂

Jesus Christ. Where to start I don't even know...

Okay first of all I'm not here to get into a discussion where we both come off ageist. I think anyone who reads your posts understands what type of position someone like you will take.

Second did you really just compare Katy Perry to someone who runs a video games channel dedidcated to playing games, reviewing games etc? Do you not understand why you can't make that comparison despite your reasoning?

Third its a show for the purpose of entertainment and to inform like Kimmel or Fallon. In the gaming industry YouTube personalities and the like are a huge part of the industry. They're gaming's celebrities. People aren't tuning in to hear X game developer give his or her PR schpeal. This industry treats everything like it's the nuclear codes and generally doesn't want to divulge information unless it's on specific time table decided by the publisher. Obviously there are exceptions but even Kojima isn't pulling a tenth of PewDiePie's numbers.

You're totally allowed to have whatever opinion you want to have. I'm just saying your opinion is in the minority and I'm sure Keighley (and Bosman for that matter) knows what people want to see.

Edit: And I pointed out I'm a hardcore gamer because that's what GAF is dedicated to and I still like plenty of gaming channels on YouTube.

This just makes me miss G4 TV(The old version) much more. Why can't we have this stuff on TV?

Because the audience isn't there. It's on YouTube because that's where the audience is. Younger people are increasingly less and less interested in Hollywood from a persona perspective. Hell even older people are cutting their cable cords.

RkaBwPu.gif

LOL

You're right. And that's great. I would rather it know what it wants to be than to try to appeal to everyone and water it's content down. That's the problem with Keighly. He always sells out.

Wants to create an awards show that gamers would be proud to watch, but then brings celebrities to the event. I don't give a shit about celebs when it comes to games. That's what the other 3 awards shows are for during the year.

Bringing these people on may attract a younger segment but then it's time to ask why you're doing this. It's either have integrity or be rich and famous. Very few can straddle the line to have both.

I never understand what his end game is. He did the Game Awards last year which was pretty damn good. Then he goes and does the Dorito's stage and this stuff.

Obigatory:

d07.png

Maybe i'm the minority here, but are people here actually excited to see Keighly do something, or are they excited about the Youtube personalities being on the show?

I believe Geoff has a serious passion for games and for being able to bring gaming and the culture around it to more people. The guy sponsored his own awards show instead of letting another company front the bill like with VGX so that he could have more control over focusing it in and do cool things like have Roberta Williams on stage for an award. Also, just reading some of his "Final Hours" pieces showcases that he can do some really great deep dives into the industry.

That said, Geoff seems to want to reach the mainstream gaming community moreso than places like Giant Bomb, Easy Allies, or even Kinda Funny. That's not nessecarily better or worse, but I can understand the basis of it: to reach more people, and bring significant gaming coverage to a larger group. There's some definite sacrifices that come with that, and that includes doing things that maybe some folks around GAF enjoy less, like filling out shows with more you tubers, or bringing celebrities in. It's a very fine balance to try to strike and I think no matter what you do some part of it can strike a bad chord with some folks.

I don't disagree with some of the sourness over a youtuber-centric linup here, but Geoff seems like a really passionate fan of games in much of what he's done, and, celebrity appearances and Doritos sponsorships aside I think that passion shows in a lot of what he does.

I'm pretty excited to see how this turns out.

joms5

😂😂😂

Jesus Christ. Where to start I don't even know...

Okay first of all I'm not here to get into a discussion where we both come off ageist. I think anyone who reads your posts understands what type of position someone like you will take.

Second did you really just compare Katy Perry to someone who runs a video games channel dedidcated to playing games, reviewing games etc? Do you not understand why you can't make that comparison despite your reasoning?

Third its a show for the purpose of entertainment and to inform like Kimmel or Fallon. In the gaming industry YouTube personalities and the like are a huge part of the industry. They're gaming's celebrities. People aren't tuning in to hear X game developer give his or her PR schpeal. This industry treats everything like it's the nuclear codes and generally doesn't want to divulge information unless it's on specific time table decided by the publisher. Obviously there are exceptions but even Kojima isn't pulling a tenth of PewDiePie's numbers.

You're totally allowed to have whatever opinion you want to have. I'm just saying your opinion is in the minority and I'm sure Keighley (and Bosman for that matter) knows what people want to see.

Edit: And I pointed out I'm a hardcore gamer because that's what GAF is dedicated to and I still like plenty of gaming channels on YouTube.

Listen being ageist has nothing to do with this conversation. This is about Geoff Keighley wanting to please everyone. And that's very difficult (if not impossible) to do.

In terms of the Katy Perry argument, I was simply trying to say that the people who play games in a Youtube channel are nothing more than entertainers. Not to slag them off anymore but I would say that they are less than Katy Perry simply because she actually has some input into her form of entertainment. Youtubers just play other peoples games. They don't have any creative input into the games they play. They don't make them. It wasn't a perfect comparison but do you not see what i'm getting at?

As you say in your second paragraph, this is for entertainment. If that's what it's for then I get it. You should definitely have Youtube personalities there. We agree on that. But these Youtubers are NOT, I can't stress that enough, gaming celebrities. Maybe to you and other people they may be, but I for one think that people who really love and adore games, care more about what the developers have to say than people who just play games. You say "People aren't tuning in to hear X game developer give his or her PR schpeal."

WHAT?!

That's what E3 is all about. It's all PR bullshit. But look at how crazy Gaf goes over it. We want to hear from the talent behind a game. Because for as much bullshit as there is in PR, sometimes it's genuine. Sometimes it's true. I'm sure we can all name games that have delivered on their promises. PR isn't always smoke and mirrors. If you have a good game, you're going to want to promote it. It's that simple.

My initial point was that Keighley wants to appeal to the enthusiast crowd like Gaf but rather than bring on pundit's or people with long ties in the industry, he brings on pseudo celebrities to broaden the appeal. I think that sends mixed messaging.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one my friend.

I'm just saying your opinion is in the minority and I'm sure Keighley (and Bosman for that matter) knows what people want to see.

Judging by most of the responses in here, I don't see any proof to backup that response. But I will allow you to have it. :p

Stiler

Really looking forward to this.

Maybe for next season they can have some guests like Boogie2988, James/Mike from Cinemassacre, and Alphaomegasin.

sora87

Excited to see Bosman's segment but Geoff mentioned Funhaus in his little behind the scenes video and that turned me off 100x more on the rest of the show :/

Fbh

Looking forward to whatever Bosman makes.

But the show itself sound like a less interesting Bonus Round (from GT) based on that description.

So I won't be home till maybe shortly after 8pm. YouTube when live streaming does allow you to scrub back correct? I am sure the video will be on demand afterwards.

Top Bottom