• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas selects Los Angeles for his $1 Billion Museum

Status
Not open for further replies.
two questions here

What is he worth?

Did he spend most of his time buying and collecting art just to create his own museum. That's crazy but you have to wonder how much art is out and about that should be shown and not hoarded by one person. Wonder how much he has spent

Cheebo

Banned
two questions here

What is he worth?

Did he spend most of his time buying and collecting art just to create his own museum. That's crazy but you have to wonder how much art is out and about that should be shown and not hoarded by one person. Wonder how much he has spent

Putting it in a museum for the public is the exact opposite of hording it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

This is fascinating (although not sure I want to read 115 pages of stuff)

But arguably some of those backgrounds would have been better as CG for compositing purposes. Many I recognise from scenes with lots of people walking around which means they'll have been shot on green screen and scaled down to fit - like the groups on external shots in Titanic. They often look disconnected as you're trying to shot match two real life clips, whereas with CG you could tweak to better match the live clips

two questions here

What is he worth?

He sold Lucasfilm to Disney for $4 billion, then gave a good chunk of that to charity, so I'd guess a bit more than that.

I'd also like to add my thanks to the Friends of the Parks for chasing this out of Chicago. That's a fine parking lot we're preserving! Or, alternately, the oldest, crappiest part of McCormack Place.

two questions here

What is he worth?

He's the 3rd largest stockholder Disney has(right now, he's selling it off slowly and giving the money from it to charity).

watership

two questions here

What is he worth?

Most of it is old Lucasfilm stuff. People tend to forgot that since the first Star Wars, Lucas has been a independent filmmaker. Outside of distribution, the films under the Lucasfilm banner were all produced with his own money. Some of the art was already on display at Skywalker Ranch as well, which was his home but also a production complex.

numble

The San Fran concept is beautiful. The LA concept looks like trash with that location.
The concept of such a museum needs to take into practical/functional considerations. Being in a location with other museums and public transit means more visitors versus being on an island requiring visitors to take a ferry or cross a bridge. Being near a film school, Hollywood and other museums gives more opportunities for partnership opportunities. It's easy to see why LA was his choice.

More than any other celebrity on the planet George Lucas makes me feel very bipolar.

On the one hand, the changes he made to the original trilogy are just, ug. Han and Greedo shooting at the same time? All the weird CGI thrown in for no real reason? And don't get me started on the prequel trilogy...

On the other hand, the dude is an amazing philanthropist who truly does care about the arts, their promotion, and the effect they have on every day people. If the rest of the 1% acted in any way as much as he does with his charitable givings, the world would be a much more lively and interesting place.

Not only that, but with the original EU, Lucas opened up the galaxy he made to what amounted to fan fiction. Fan fiction that was placed on a pedestal of canon (that he could ignore as he wanted, but whatever...). Not many icons of pop culture can claim to have kept a thing around as long while not having direct control over the miniature details. Imagine if Rowling decided to expand out the Harry Potter-verse to other authors? I think that really gets overlooked. Hell, a lot of the EU found its way ingrained into canon (even now), and that's just something you have to respect. People take that for granted... locations like Coruscant, for instance? That wasn't Lucas, but he took the idea and used it anyways. I think that's pretty awesome.

Then again, sometimes his ramblings were a bit insane. Like saying that 1313 had to be a Boba Fett game when it didn't really have to be. There's a lot of other little examples like that too that have popped up over the years.

And just, ugggg. I hate so much about him, but at he same time I love so much about him. It's very fucking confusing.

Anyways, that museum looks cool. I'd have preferred it to be in Chicago, as I could actually get to that with ease. On the other side of the country though? eh, maybe someday...

1313 was supposed to be a bobba fett game? Aww man :-(

It would've looked more epic being on Treasure Island facing the water. With this location it actually seems to get overshadowed by that stadium (is that the LA coliseum?)

iavi

He must really be over Marin. I don't blame them after they fucked with him.

Weren't even considered for this at all.

Amazing pick up for LA

George Lucas always struck me as a very generous dude, and his philanthropy and willingness to let others expand the Star Wars universe through books, games and comics certainly outweighs any poor creative decisions.

Especially the philanthropy. Dude's basically as giving as Bill Gates is, but doesn't seem to get anywhere near the press for it.

Putting it in a museum for the public is the exact opposite of hording it.

Well he was and I was alluding to others.. (that may be out and about)

He sold Lucasfilm to Disney for $4 billion, then gave a good chunk of that to charity, so I'd guess a bit more than that.

I'd also like to add my thanks to the Friends of the Parks for chasing this out of Chicago. That's a fine parking lot we're preserving! Or, alternately, the oldest, crappiest part of McCormack Place.
]

Just an assumption but I would figure he had a lot more than 4 billion over the years. The 4 billion was just a safe sell and work a deal imo

He has had numerous companies as far as I'm aware, big time as we know. To be able to spend a billion I thought he must be worth well over 20 billion or something. (without the 4)

see5harp

Have to respect that he's footing the bill and not asking the city to pay for it. Sports teams could learn a thing or two from him.

Fully agree. Fuck all these franchise owners who won't build their own stadiums much less give up the parking revenue.

Abounder

Banned
Star Wars Land vs the Lucas Museum - which will be completely operational first? Kinda love that it's not in Chicago for the socal tourism factor alone

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
He's the 3rd largest stockholder Disney has(right now, he's selling it off slowly and giving the money from it to charity).

He wanted to sell it all IIRC; but you can't dump that much stock in the market all at once without tanking the stock itself.

Between the museum, affordable housing, donating the money from Lucasfilm to education, and Red Tails - he's pretty high up there for philanthropy and generosity.

Zackat

https://creators.vice.com/en_us/art...ion-dollar-greenlight?utm_source=tcptwitterus

In a unanimous 14-0 vote yesterday, the Los Angeles City Council approved plans to build the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art in Exposition Park in South Los Angeles. The new museum will transform what are now 11 acres of concrete—eight professional football fields—into a lush public park and garden space that the museum will hover over like a docked spaceship. After failed attempts to carve out spaces in Chicago and San Francisco, George Lucas and his wife Mellody Hobson have finally found a home for their museum.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its actually a real deal spaceship George will use to escape the world when things go South.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's supposedly a sort of Lucas museum in disguise.

can't believe we stole this from Chicago and SF, but pretty stoked about it. Great thing for that part of the city and for LA.

It's incredible that you can't even give away a billion dollar art museum/park space without having NIMBYs rush in to complicate it.

My parents live just down a ways from the park. They'll appreciate it, as will the community as a whole. All that and a Space Shuttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom