• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German cops shot 11 people in all of 2016

SilentRob

In all of 2016, german police officers shot 11 people to death. Additionally, guns have been used 28 times to merely hurt and stop other people. Overall, guns have been drawn 52 times during the whole year. All cases where deemed self-defense.

Google translated article by Spiegel Online:

Police officers shot eleven people in Germany last year. According to a survey conducted by the German College of Police in Münster, officials with their service gun also injured 28 people.

According to statistics, the deaths are all due to self-defense or emergency aid, ie cases in which police officers had to help themselves or other people in a life-threatening situation. In total, policemen reported the shooting gun against humans in 52 cases.

Higher figures than last year

The figures are somewhat higher than in previous years. In 2015 ten people died, 22 were injured, 2014 there were seven dead and 30 injured, 2013 eight deaths and 20 injured.

In Sachsen-Anhalt, the police had shot a 28-year-old, who fired after a family quarrel on Tuesday . When special forces were deployed during the G20 riots in Hamburg, the shotgun use was released for self-sufficiency, as a SEK leader said .

There are significantly more cases in the US. According to a survey of the Washington Post , policemen in the US last year killed 963 people. Even if the number of inhabitants is taken into account - about 324 million in the US, about 81 million in Germany - then the number of deadly police in the US is more than 20 times as high as in Germany.

The Bochum criminologist Thomas Feltes said that there was no "shooting-gun" police in Germany. "As before, most police officers use their service weapon exclusively on the shooting range for a lifetime."

At the same time, the researcher emphasized that the victims were mentally ill in most fatal shots. "Here we actually have an increase and the urgent need for more training for the police." Many officials are not trained in dealing with mentally disturbed persons.

Sulik2

Germany and Europe's police systems in general are so far beyond the broken and shattered system we call policing in the USA it's not even funny.

Germany and Europe don't have US gun laws and culture warping police protocol.

That isn't what is warping US police protocol.

A huge problem is that the psych profile of people being approved as officers is disturbing in a lot of cases AND there virtually no penalty for police misconduct against civilians...unless you count financial settlements paid by the city (and not the police unions) as penalties.

kirblar

That isn't what is warping US police protocol.

A huge problem is that the psych profile of people being approved as officers is disturbing in a lot of cases AND there virtually no penalty for police misconduct against civilians...unless you count financial settlements paid by the city (and not the police unions) as penalties.
The ability for literally anyone, even a toddler, to be a life-endangering threat very much warps everything about US policing.

Bad police behavior is in no way limited to the US- it's inherent to the institution because power attracts those who would abuse it.

xkramz

To be fair Germany is smaller population wise and Per Sq miles than USA.

Regardless there's clearly some issues with the police force in the US.

the great American experiment to give everyone a button they can press to instantly kill another person within their immediate vicinty (but don't use it for evil!), will continue.

I am sure although usa now wades through a sea of blood the issue is just not enough people yet openly carry these buttons everywhere.

Like vaccinations, if the percentage gets high enough, America will find every stat suddenly drops, and even improves on the rest of the world. Any year now. Just a bit more law relaxation.

"Data used in the chart has been collected from a study conducted by the Washington Post because although the FBI does attempt to record the number of shootings it is not compulsory for forces around the country to submit their data.

In contrast, in the UK all fatal shootings are immediately referred to the IPCC for investigation."

Good lord.

Yeah, that's insane. Surely with the way things are there now there needs to be some kind of governing or independent body who reviews the killings.

Hrothgar

Germany and Europe's police systems in general are so far beyond the broken and shattered system we call policing in the USA it's not even funny.

Adding to that, I don't know for Germany, but in the Netherlands the police training period is significantly longer and rigorous than in the US.

To be fair Germany is smaller population wise and Per Sq miles than USA.

Regardless there's clearly some issues with the police force in the US.

Is this line of discussion ever really relevant?

It isn't the size of the country that makes police shoot people.

Is this line of discussion ever really relevant?

It isn't the size of the country that makes police shoot people.

It would be relevant if the numbers were closer. As it is, even adjusting for population gives you cop death rate 20 times higher in the US. Not sure what area has to do with it though.

Yeah, that's insane. Surely with the way things are there now there needs to be some kind of governing or independent body who reviews the killings.

Independent oversight?

Good luck with that under a Jeff Sessions run DOJ.

Why do you think US law enforcement overwhelmingly supports Sessions?

He promised a more hands off approach in regards to all that. Let police officers "do their jobs", so to speak.

DonShula

Kinda ironic that the hard right-wingers in America are so fearful of the "deep state" while basically being under the control of the NRA.

We as a country insist on having guns. And we as a country will continue to senselessly kill each other as long as that continues.

DonShula

Independent oversight?

Good luck with that under a Jeff Sessions run DOJ.

Why do you think US law enforcement overwhelmingly supports Sessions?

He promised a more hands off approach in regards to all that. Let police officers "do their jobs", so to speak.

I don't know when it happened, but at some point during my lifetime, we went from being honored and privileged to serve, open to instruction, and humble, to being grown ass fucking men who shouldn't be questioned because we have fucking badges.

I know it doesn't apply to all, but still. It's ridiculous.

It's spellbinding how guns have only been unholstered 52 times in 2016.

I swear it seems it's every cops reflex in America to unholster their gun no matter how small the situation.

EGM1966

"Data used in the chart has been collected from a study conducted by the Washington Post because although the FBI does attempt to record the number of shootings it is not compulsory for forces around the country to submit their data.

In contrast, in the UK all fatal shootings are immediately referred to the IPCC for investigation."

Good lord.
The boldest has just blown my mind.

tumblr_mg2dxmLZlS1r4zr2vo1_r2_500.gif

I don't understand the gif response. Maybe calling it "broken" is a bit much, but given the amount of murder and corruption in the US police force do you not think there are serious issues with the system and that it requires a vast overhaul?!

They are armed

Wow; that's even more impressive then. They must be extremely well trained.

The uk cops only shot and killed 4 people in 2016

I know; I phrased my sentence a bit poorly. UK cops only shoot & kill a small number of people because regular officers don't carry firearms (with very few in society there's no need) and those officers who do are properly trained like I suppose the equivalent of SWAT units.

Including UK police?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ie-gray-baton-killings-homicide-a7160391.html

Police in Britain fired their guns just seven times in the last year

Fatal shootings by police officers have been a major political issue in the United States in recent years. From Michael Brown in Ferguson to Freddie Gray in Baltimore, such killings, often of young African Americans, regularly lead international news headlines.

One counting project found 613 people had been killed by US police so far in 2016, as of 28 July. American police routinely carry guns, and most high profile incidents are shootings.

Official figures in the United Kingdom could not paint a more different picture. Statistics released by the Home Office – Britain’s interior ministry – show how rare it is for the UK’s police to use guns.

Charges against remaining officers in Freddie Gray case dropped
In England and Wales in the 12 months to March 2016, British police discharged their firearms on just seven occasions, the statistics, released on Thursday show.

Police in England and Wales discharged their gun just seven times.

More at the link above.

I don't know when it happened, but at some point during my lifetime, we went from being honored and privileged to serve, open to instruction, and humble, to being grown ass fucking men who shouldn't be questioned because we have fucking badges.

I know it doesn't apply to all, but still. It's ridiculous.

Yeah...

I think, much like the idea of of America, we assign aspirational values to these that are rarely consistent with the actual output that we see. Civilians and police alike see law enforcement as a selfless, not paid enough, virtuous job but the REALITY is much different.

Kinda how the average American sees themselves as willing to help their fellow man/woman and fully invested in a mutually shared outcome when the REALITY for most that believe that is "fuck you, I got mine".

Sadly, this was my first thought.

Germany has several million migrants now and they are more obviously a "minority" than the large Hispanic and black populatoon in America

I think it has little to do with minorities or immigrants and everything to do with Gun Culture. Guns are common ammunition is common people with guns are common and police are jumpy.

You think that's the reason? Not lack of proper psych profiling for new recruits, subpar training, lack of control by the state, etc?
I'm not saying it's the only reason. It's obvious the cops in the states lack proper training, constant psych evaluations, being designed with the purpose of holding minorities down, the wrong people constantly being allowed in and an abhorrent culture. But you can't deny that the homogenous nature of other countries allow them to do things that won't be possible in the states because of the "other".

Does Europe and the UK have even 1/10th of the violent crime the US does? Violent crime is a massive problem in the US and we should be ashamed we're not doing enough to combat it.

Violet_0

Banned
ordinary citizens don't own fireweapons, hence they don't have to be constantly paranoid or use their own guns to defend themselves
criminality is way lower in nearly all of Europe
there's a lot more trust between the general popuation and the police force

Top Bottom