• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your hands on P.T. (sort of) Hurry before Konami sends a C&D

Bergerac

I understand how people are still upset, but please just let it die.

That can't happen because PT represents the high water mark for horror. Amnesia, Outlast, Dead Space, Slender etc etc. Silent Hill came back and brought its toys with it and everything else was put to shame.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This recreation serves as a reminder that the lightening work of the Fox Engine is amazing. Tells you how much the environment makes for suspense and the feeling of the setting. It also serves as a reminder to support Allison Road as Face said!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That can't happen because PT represents the high water mark for horror. Amnesia, Outlast, Dead Space, Slender etc etc. Silent Hill came back and brought its toys with it and everything else was put to shame.

Please. PT is a hallway. Its no System Shock or Fatal Frame and its not Silent Hill.

Jacobi

Banned
This is fucking impressive. Done in 104 hours.

And most people here don't know shit about game development

Impressive, but still an imitation.

Anyone think an actual dumped and emulated version of PT will be available at some time in the future, or is it just lost forever?

The developer should've chose UE4 to get a more accurate representation of PT. This recreation doesn't look bad, but the lighting and shader effects are still a big step down from the FOX Engine.

I wonder what will take longer for people to get over:

Cancellation of Silent Hills or Metal Gear Solid V's lackluster story/incomplete game.

Publicly slaying Silent Hill and MGS has created salt reserves that'll probably last forever. And it's been a much longer fall depending on how much of fan you are of the numerous IPs they've been swallowing whole since the PS2 era, outside of MGS. Castlevania fans are nodding their heads like "yep" right now.

luckily, many of those IPs are loaded with timelessly fun games, which they can't take away (though they fucking would if they could, apparently.)

HHhvIJU.gif

Sure, man. If you say so.

dadjumper

I have PT on my PS4, as it used to be my friend's and he downloaded the game before it got pulled. It have the game "bought" on my account, but not downloaded under my name. I have played through the whole thing on my account. If I delete his profile, will it delete the game? I kinda don't want to risk it but it's also annoying having so many profiles on one system.

Sakujou

Banned
wow, one person recreated the teaser.

kudos to him!

people who are complaining about this or comparing why this should be shitty arent right in their minds.

he worked his ass off to get such an astonishing result....

I mean they even removed the FREE game/demo from the store, and stopped people that already owned it from downloading it again. So yeah unless Kojima/someone at KojiPro snuck it on disc and no one's found it, there's no way Konami would be letting it see the light of day again.
I'm genuinely surprised no one has tried to directly pull the assets straight from the console. It would be a nightmarish process, but the Fox Engine tech is arguably accessible through the PC copies of Ground Zeroes and/or Phantom Pain. Critical reception has been extremely high for the demo so I'm curious to see if anyone has tried to preserve the experience for future gens through reverse engineering.

low-G

I feel that P.T. loses all its effectiveness when its not photorealistic. Missing quite a lot of detail in a lot of ways from the PS4 version. The detail & realism MAKE the experience.

The effort is fine, but let's be realistic. This cannot replace the original. With a bit more work, sure.

Trace

Banned
I have to say, extremely impressive result, especially for one man.

I also think that it doesn't capture the atmosphere of PT at all. The photorealistic look was what sold the "horror", since everything was so tense and detailed. Just recreating similar geometry isn't going to have the same effect.

nkarafo

How close are the graphics with the PS4 version? I think it looks pretty average on my PC. I see other indie games like Layer of Fear and even that looks much better than this recreation.

I'm asking because i remember people going nuts over how amazing P.T looks. I only saw pictures and Youtube videos but, you know, can judge from that.

A-V-B

I thought the goal would of been passed ages ago.

I'm a Silent Hill freak and I'm not funding it. It's not what I want, you know? It's an indie game that's aping a teaser (PT) for a different kind of game. Yeah, the teaser was great, but that's because of how it was directed. Its facade was still that of every indie horror game ever. You can't emulate the facade. You have to do something special underneath at every step, like Kojima and del Toro did. And I saw the demo of Alison Road. It's an indie game trying to be PT trying to be an indie game.

So, anyway. There you go.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I'm a Silent Hill freak and I'm not funding it. It's not what I want, you know? It's an indie game that's aping a teaser (PT) for a different kind of game. Yeah, the teaser was great, but that's because of how it was directed. Its facade was still that of every indie horror game ever. You can't emulate the facade. You have to do something special underneath at every step, like Kojima and del Toro did. And I saw the demo of Alison Road. It's an indie game trying to be PT trying to be an indie game.

So, anyway. There you go.

I think, by putting into words my dissatisfaction with the overall situation, you've convinced me that I had negative feelings towards this project that had nothing to do with the merits of the project. I'm going in.

I'd rather whatever lives on from P.T. be something from, and for the benefit of, the people who loved the thing.

Just #fuckKonami goddamit.

A-V-B

I think, by putting into words my dissatisfaction with the overall situation, you've convinced me that I had negative feelings towards this project that had nothing to do with the merits of the project. I'm going in.

It has everything to do with the merits of the project. If you don't absolutely hit it out of the park with masterful direction, it will be just another indie horror game. And I saw the demo's approach. It sort of had the skin of PT, but not the core.

PA0cfFP.gif

Could it change and become the creature all the way on the right? Best case, maybe close. But Kojima and del Toro are prized creative commodities for a reason. Unless Allison Road is on that level, all you might be left with is a feeling of emptiness, and an even greater desire for PT's return.

Publicly slaying Silent Hill and MGS has created salt reserves that'll probably last forever. And it's been a much longer fall depending on how much of fan you are of the numerous IPs they've been swallowing whole since the PS2 era, outside of MGS. Castlevania fans are nodding their heads like "yep" right now.

luckily, many of those IPs are loaded with timelessly fun games, which they can't take away (though they fucking would if they could, apparently.)

Contra fans too. Not that we were getting heaps of games lately, but still. :(

Please. PT is a hallway. Its no System Shock or Fatal Frame and its not Silent Hill.

HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
10-05-2015, 12:37 AM, Post #60

Syder

If 'PUNITY' does anything, it's that it proves how good an engine FOX is, even if it's only for it's amazing visual capabilities. The Unity version of the hallway is just completely 'off'. It's almost not scary at all... and this coming from someone who gets scared thinking about that hallway at night.

GG KojiPro

GametimeUK

Konami should sell P.T on Halloween if they want to make some quick cash and carry on ruining their reputation in fantastic style.

If 'PUNITY' does anything, it's that it proves how good an engine FOX is, even if it's only for it's amazing visual capabilities. The Unity version of the hallway is just completely 'off'. It's almost not scary at all... and this coming from someone who gets scared thinking about that hallway at night.

GG KojiPro

I don't think that's really the best way to compare engines when one project was worked on by top level professionals under Kojima while the other is a fan recreation by people who I seriously doubt have access to the same level of resources a real developer would.

nkarafo

GG KojiPro
I'm pretty sure KojiPro would do the same thing with the unity engine if he had to. Its not the engines that make the games, it's the professionals (or amateurs) behind them.

Also, have a look at the graphics of Layers Of Fear. You won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom