• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your SSDs ready, PS4 Pro supports SATA3

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Why is everyone getting SSHD when surely something like a 1TB Samsung Evo SSD would be far and away better?
I'm torn, but I will wait for some tests. I will tell you this - 1TB is woefully inadequate storage space on PS4 if you like buying newer games and still playing some older ones every once in a while. I have had 1TB drive since launch and for several months now I keep finding myself in a position that I constantly have to delete stuff from it to be able to download anything new. And I'm far past the point where I deleted stuff I don't really care about.

Also, on regular PS4, using SSD really wasn't "way better" than SSHD. It was barely better at all in most games actually. But of course with SATA3 it may now finally show a real advantage, but I wouldn't jump the gun yet.

EmiPrime

Those Firecuda drives costing twice as much as a standard drive just for 8GB of NAND cache... eeehhhh. At those prices I would be expecting 128GB not 8GB.

I had the 1TB SSHD and it was faster than the original HD.

Yes, but what we are all saying is that the Firecuda has dramatically reduced the amount of "SSD" (NAND) in the SSHD this time.

If you already own an SSHD, great! It is probably the one with 16 or 32GB NAND.

This one has 8.

zephry

Yes, but what we are all saying is that the Firecuda has dramatically reduced the amount of "SSD" (NAND) in the SSHD this time.

This one has 8.

I didn't know the new Firecuda only had 8GB! That's a shame. I am trying to find a review of the new laptop Firecuda.

Ozorov

This one has 8.
What has EVO for MB? Cant find anything about it

What has EVO for MB? Cant find anything about it

The EVO is a SSD, not SSHD. So it's pure NAND. If you buy a 1TB EVO it has 1TB of NAND.

SSHD is a regular hard drive that uses a small SSD inside of it as a cache for most frequently used data, instead of using it as permanent storage like on an SSD. So the popular one previously was a 1TB SSHD with 32GB NAND, but it has fallen out of favor because the size is outdated (2TB HDDs being sub $100 now)

Kaibutsu

The EVO is a SSD, not SSHD. So it's pure NAND. If you buy a 1TB EVO it has 1TB of NAND.

SSHD is a regular hard drive that uses a small SSD inside of it as a cache for most frequently used data, instead of using it as permanent storage like on an SSD. So the popular one previously was a 1TB SSHD with 32GB NAND, but it has fallen out of favor because the size is outdated (2TB HDDs being sub $100 now)

I looked up my order history from June 20, 2014 and the 1 TB SSHD I've been using in my PS4 since 2014 only has 8GB NAND. I'm pretty sure this was the one everyone was getting at the time.

edit: which 1tb SSHD w/ 32gb NAND were you talking about?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm *hoping* the Firecuda 2.5" 2TB is a good option for PS4 owners, but dropping down to 8GB NAND is worrisome enough to want to wait on benchmarks.
That's a good point, who knows. I do know now that Segate had the 8GB and 32GB option for their 1TB SSHD, but at the time I was buying it, I didn't know that, and I have no idea which one I have.

Isn't this the only drive that was available back at the time of PS4s launch and that everyone was benchmarking:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B99JUBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm pretty sure that's the one I have, so that's 8GB.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yep. And it's a pretty laughable impressions too, guy seemed just happy to have one.

I'm *hoping* the Firecuda 2.5" 2TB is a good option for PS4 owners, but dropping down to 8GB NAND is worrisome enough to want to wait on benchmarks. At 32GB you could be safe to assume several games + OS files would stay in the NAND cache, whereas here it could be emptying the fridge (in theory) with each game you play, and probably more often within a game if it's using most of a Blu Ray disc. For the ~$150 canadian its just a pretty significant premium until we know more.

Not to mention it's also a 5400rpm drive.

Almost would rather get a 7200rpm drive, but I will probably just make due with the current drive and save up for that $250 1TB Mushkin SSD

Voror

So all in all what is the best 2TB option right now at a good price? Not looking to go for an SSD myself anytime soon.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just ordered the 2TB FireCuda from Amazon.co.uk, hopefully it'll get here by the 10th.

This one?

i'm keeping an eye on it. i don't find myself needing more than 1TB. I've only once got close to the 500GB on my launch PS4 but 2TB is nice, but a 1TB for £75, like the Seaget "PS4 SSHD" is pretty decent for price.

Hope you guys aren't paying the ridiculous premium the re-sellers are putting on that drive on Amazon...

You can get this drive for around 100-110 euros with 2-3 delivery from mainland Europe.

Example: https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90671383/seagate-firecuda-compute-st2000lx001-sshd.asp

121 euros.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

This one has 8.
After checking things a bit, I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I've never even seen 32GB NAND model benched on PS4, plus it was a lot more expensive than the 8GB model, which would make it a difficult buy nowadays that SSDs have dropped in price so much. That's probably their thinking behind equipping it only with 8GB. 32 was clearly a premium model, and I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay that premium.

So all in all what is the best 2TB option right now at a good price? Not looking to go for an SSD myself anytime soon.
This is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822179110&ignorebbr=1

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If you want the fast speeds consider this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226596

1TB SSD for $240. Excellent bang for the buck.

You really can't beat that.

While 2TB of space is nice. I can't see myself getting the 2TB SSHD that everyone is linking. Only 8GB and 5400rpm. No way. I'll take speed over space any day.

Of course Sony could give us the best of both worlds and just allow us to keep less used games backed up on a large external HDD and then easily transfer them over to a cheaper/smaller SSD as the main drive. 500GB SSDs are quite cheap.

THat would be an amazing solution.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Everybody's buying drives but we don't even know if Sony has changed how the data is piped through internally.

I really hope it isn't USB anymore for all your guys' sake.

I eagerly await the tests.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Everybody's buying drives but we don't even know if Sony has changed how the data is piped through internally.

I really hope it isn't USB anymore for all your guys' sake.

I eagerly await the tests.
Indeed. Buying SSD with a current internal transfer setup is a total waste.

ZOONAMI

Why the hell are 2tb 7200rpm 2.5 drives like $300+ ?

Price difference between a 1tb 5400 and 7200 is pretty minimal, crazy price hike.

zephry

While 2TB of space is nice. I can't see myself getting the 2TB SSHD that everyone is linking. Only 8GB and 5400rpm. No way. I'll take speed over space any day.

Of course Sony could give us the best of both worlds and just allow us to keep less used games backed up on a large external HDD and then easily transfer them over to a cheaper/smaller SSD as the main drive. 500GB SSDs are quite cheap.

Wouldn't this be better? Has faster write speed. I recognize both Crucial and Mushkin so I am guessing they are equally good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156152&cm_re=1tb_ssd-_-20-156-152-_-Product

Why the hell are 2tb 7200rpm 2.5 drives like $300+ ?

Price difference between a 1tb 5400 and 7200 is pretty minimal, crazy price hike.

I think that's why the FireCuda is a nice drive to have. While it's 5400 RPM, the 8GB cache really helps offset the slower spin and then some.

molnizzle

I used to use this in my PS4 before the console died and I moved it to my PC. It's a great SSD that I've seen as low as $199 (on sale) at Newegg before.

Wouldn't this be better? Has faster write speed. I recognize both Crucial and Mushkin so I am guessing they are equally good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156152&cm_re=1tb_ssd-_-20-156-152-_-Product

This is a far newer model that is potentially slightly better, yes. Not quite as cheap though, and the perceived performance difference would be negligible. Going from a standard HDD to any SSD is the real upgrade. Especially with SATA III.

1gb would not even be enough just to transfer the data over from my old ps4. And fuck paying double for 50% space. I'll just make a sandwich while I wait for the interiors to load in Skyrim.

molnizzle

1gb would not even be enough just to transfer the data over from my old ps4. And fuck paying double for 50% space. I'll just make a sandwich while I wait for the interiors to load in Skyrim.

Mostly Sony's fault for garbage PSN download speeds continuing to be a thing. On Steam the 1TB SSD is perfectly fine because I can just delete shit. If I want to play Fallout 4 again I can re-download it in under 5 minutes.

Koobion

After checking things a bit, I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I've never even seen 32GB NAND model benched on PS4, plus it was a lot more expensive than the 8GB model, which would make it a difficult buy nowadays that SSDs have dropped in price so much. That's probably their thinking behind equipping it only with 8GB. 32 was clearly a premium model, and I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay that premium.

This is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822179110&ignorebbr=1

Not saying you're wrong necessarily, but I also remember that a drive with 8GB NAND was the one everybody was buying for PS4. It's the one I got as well.

Mostly Sony's fault for garbage PSN download speeds continuing to be a thing. On Steam the 1TB SSD is perfectly fine because I can just delete shit. If I want to play Fallout 4 again I can re-download it in under 5 minutes.

It doesn't make that much difference to me cause I buy most of my aaa games in retail but i buy a lot of smaller games digital and I like access to them all the time. Now that I have a PSVR i expect to get even more smaller vr games to download. But i never really have issues downloading from PSN. 2-5gb in probable 10 minutes or so most of the time unless it's tuesday and a popular game that is being downloaded by a lot of people.

Not saying you're wrong necessarily, but I also remember that a drive with 8GB NAND was the one everybody was buying for PS4. It's the one I got as well.

Doing a little research i found an article that said seagate had upped the nand in the 1gb sshd (non firecuda) to 32gb as an option but I can't for the life of me find any drives, available or not, that has 32 gb nand online. Maybe it was just a limited edition or not enough sales to keep producing it. I'm guessing the premium was too high.

You guys are right. Looking at the different benchmarks posted and then looking up the model numbers, they were 8GB NAND! Happy to be wrong there.

Now the difficult thing is just that it's so hard to find - pretty sure nowhere in Canada carries the Firecuda in stock. Price is at least reasonable-ish ($150 vs. ~$100) though.

molnizzle

It doesn't make that much difference to me cause I buy most of my aaa games in retail but i buy a lot of smaller games digital and I like access to them all the time. Now that I have a PSVR i expect to get even more smaller vr games to download. But i never really have issues downloading from PSN. 2-5gb in probable 10 minutes or so most of the time unless it's tuesday and a popular game that is being downloaded by a lot of people.

I'm probably an uncommon case because I have gigabit Internet so I'm literally seeing the maximum possible speeds on every network I use. Steam will nearly saturate my bandwidth at about 100 MB/s. When I say I can download the 40+ GB of Fallout 4 in under 5 minutes I'm not exagerating. PSN is lucky to top out at 10 MB/s, but frequently much slower. 2-3 MB/s is pretty common. It's just garbage by comparison.

Sanke__

So I'm leaning toward 2tb crucial SSD

Any better one out there?
Samsung isn't worth the extra money is it?

And I have enough trouble with only 2tb on my current PS4 so I really don't want to drop to 1tb

I want to restate that Amazon is incorrect with the cache size of the FireCuda as its 128 MB, not 64 MB. They really need to fix that.

Top Bottom