• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your SSDs ready, PS4 Pro supports SATA3

LordOfChaos

WELCOME TO 2009! Much needed.

Curious for teardowns to see if it also got rid of that weird SATA to USB bridge that may have been a further bottleneck, as SSDs usually see more speedup even on SATA 2.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
What if the PS4 Pro already includes a SSD ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
How much are they cos the only one I see on amazon uk is £480

That much. For a 2TB SSD £480 is not a bad price. That's how much a 240GB SSD was priced 5 years ago.

Best option in terms of SSD is a 1TB one. More than that it's overkill in terms of pricing. At least for now.

By the way, prices have gone up since the referendum and the pound losing value. 6 months ago the 1TB SSDs were 230-240 max and now they are close to £300 ...

LordOfChaos

Åesop;220057676 said:
What if the PS4 Pro already includes a SSD ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It's confirmed 1TB, right? If so, then...No. A hybrid at best, but even that's unlikely for the added cost/benefit (to sony).

Åesop;220057867 said:

Xb1 USB load times are faster right?

7200rpm HDD or SSHD won't see difference.

But SSD will just fly with SATA3.

Can't wait to have one on my machine.

Why are people saying this without waiting for some data? Of course SSD's will finally get utilized, but HDD and SSHD won't see a difference?

Load times are abysmal right now with SATA 2 even for HDDs

Koobion

Extremely excited about this news. This was my most wanted feature. Looking forward to the Digital Foundry testing videos to see how big a difference this makes.

Vipu

Banned
So what Does this exactly mean? Please give me some example of reduced loading times.

For example, getting in and out from houses kills it for me in Skyrim due to the loading Times - would such loading Times be reduced with this kind of hd?

Oh right I forgot skyrim even had loadtimes.
Thank you ssd aince forever.

ethomaz

Banned
Being limited to 2TB is a much bigger issue to me, I'm already using 3TB on my XB1 and I'm not paying $1000+ for it
I Iimit my PS4 purchases because of it.
You will be limited by money because SATA3 SSD can go over 4TB.
The boost you will get in install, loadtimes, etc will be a gamer changer with SSD + SATA3.

Edit - Fixed for accuracy.

Impulsor

Will hybrid SSHDs take advantage of this?

It would be cool to create a thread discussing the best options for the ps4 pro, along with the price.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

It would be cool to create a thread discussing the best options for the ps4 pro, along with the price.

Yeah but hybrids only have a small ssd cache of something like 8, 16, or 32GB. you wouldn't fit a single game on there. Would mostly help with the OS.

ethomaz

Banned

SSHD won't take any advantage of SATA3 because the speeds are lower than SATA2.... you will be limited by the SSHD speeds.

Only SDD will show big difference with SATA3.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Great news but SSD are really expensive yet, any deals out there worth checking?

Holiday sales...

and also SSHD's are pretty good too. Seagate announced a 2.5'' 2TB SSHD (without a release date or price yet).

Yeah but hybrids only have a small ssd cache of something like 8, 16, or 32GB. you wouldn't fit a single game on there. Would mostly help with the OS.

It's gonna help with OS and your most frequently used game. If you're not switching games every other play session and just playing one at a time, it's gonna start caching the data on the SSD sectors. It generally helps with performance too, DF have done tests with multiple games and they all showed a few second improvements over the stock drive.

link:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-worth-upgrading-your-ps4-with-an-ssd

rawd

I want to do a secure erase of my 840 Pro SSD that's in my PS4 before I install it in my PS4 Pro. Has anyone ever used the Samsung Magician to do that before.

I'm on a Mac so I guess I'll have to make a bootable CD with the Magician app on it since there is no Mac version of the software.

edit: I can do it from a Windows VM, via USB enclosure.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
WAIT FOR TESTING/REVIEWS
Before purchasing an SSD.

We need to confirm that it will actually be using the SATA 3 bus lanes to transfer data and not route the data over USB 2.0 as some say the current PS4 does even with SATA 2.

If that is indeed still the case then SATA 3 means nothing and speeds will be the same(ish).

ethomaz

Banned
WAIT FOR TESTING/REVIEWS
Before purchasing an SSD.

We need to confirm that it will actually be using the SATA 3 bus lanes to transfer data and not route the data over USB 2.0 as some say the current PS4 does even with SATA 2.

If that is indeed still the case then SATA 3 means nothing and speeds will be the same(ish).
Are there any proof about that?

NeOak

Why are people saying this without waiting for some data? Of course SSD's will finally get utilized, but HDD and SSHD won't see a difference?

Load times are abysmal right now with SATA 2 even for HDDs
Some people like to say stuff saying that there are "tests" and then never providing a link to said "tests".

Just putting a 2TB 5400rpm drive on the PS4 can improve loading times due to the higher density. There were several articles about it.

takoyaki

That's great news!

Since Sony announced that there wouldn't be a UHD bluray drive in the Pro, I was worried that they'd cheap out on the SATA version as well.

JP

So, are people taking this as legitimate now? I really hope it is true but I'm not going to get too excited until the Mark Cerny thing that should be happening over the next week or so.

It's probably unlikely but I'd love to find out that the Pro is actually going to come with a 960GB SSD as standard. That seems almost impossible for the asking price though.

There aren't just speed benefits with running a SATA III SSD, it should also run quieter, cooler, be more reliable and live longer than a HDD.

farisr

Thanks to this thread, I ordered that 2TB SSHD.

A few days ago I was legitimately thinking about ordering a 2TB harddrive to put into the Pro, but decided on sticking with my 1TB SSHD because I liked the faster speed and there were no suitable 2TB SSHDs on the market.

Place I got it from has it backordered. Hope it arrives by the time the Pro is here, so I can install it right away before doing anything.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Did we ever get any details on the transfer method for PS4->Pro?

I have a 1TB SSHD in there now and not sure if it would be best to swap it into the Pro and re-download everything or use whatever "transfer tool" there might be and leave the Pro alone.

Kyoufu

Thanks to this thread, I ordered that 2TB SSHD.

A few days ago I was legitimately thinking about ordering a 2TB harddrive to put into the Pro, but decided on sticking with my 1TB SSHD because I liked the faster speed and there were no suitable 2TB SSHDs on the market.

Place I got it from has it backordered. Hope it arrives by the time the Pro is here, so I can install it right away before doing anything.

Link? I didn't know they were on sale already.

knitoe

So, are people taking this as legitimate now? I really hope it is true but I'm not going to get too excited until the Mark Cerny thing that should be happening over the next week or so.

It's probably unlikely but I'd love to find out that the Pro is actually going to come with a 960GB SSD as standard. That seems almost impossible for the asking price though.

There aren't just speed benefits with running a SATA III SSD, it should also run quieter, cooler, be more reliable and live longer than a HDD.

Zero chance including a SSD. Sony and Microsoft uses the cheapest, and thus, slowest HDD they can find in their consoles. That's why, if you put in any aftermarket HDD, it will be faster.

I can't justify spending $229-300 for faster load times and the same storage space.

I think I'm going with this .

Considering that I don't use my current PS4 that hard, but I do grab a lot of games for download, I'd rather go for this than spend on an SSD for the system. I have the Samsung 850 EVO 1TB on my desktop already and love it.

Top Bottom