• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting high

akira28

I did for about 5 years. You would be shocked at how many people are on something who are building skyscrapers and homes.

They would be shocked at how many high skilled, high tension, high pressure vital workers are getting high on the job, yes. I don't know why they would be shocked, but yes. They would be shocked.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I miss weed thread :/

In remembrance

ibaBWRy4D6JX4I.gif

ibsBquXFYU9aN3.gif

i50KP8NU4bW98.gif

I cut and serve BBQ all day. Knives, heavy hot BBQ pits, unstable grease floors. The only times I've ever injured myself is while sober.

verbum

You're high on the job? Remind me not to hire you when I need to finish my basement.

Are you running drug screens on anyone who works in your house?

Not a good idea to be high on a construction project when you're climbing around on roof rafters 3 stories up or there are forklifts suddenly coming around corners.

MormaPope

Banned
Smoked all the time working in shops. What am I supposed to start doing when I smoke weed that I wouldn't normally do? Am I supposed to suddenly think it was a good idea to put my hand in the machine while it was running? Not sure what some of you think smoking weed is like. Some of you guys act like you think that it's like being drunk or something.

I was about to say. Smoking a bowl or blunt by yourself isn't going to change your mindset or judgement drastically. If you take bong rip after bong rip you probably shouldn't do that if you're going to work in 30 minutes, but weed doesn't incapacitate you if you do it moderately.

Mully

Why do I see posts on Facebook saying "High AF!" - along with the elderly saying "Oh these kids are trying... to escape reality!" (does the exact opposite for me)

It's not like that. I just started working construction, and all my coworkers smoke blunts just like a cig i.e. normal? We get high, continue what we're doing, and go on. You see in movies it's always a couple of bone heads eating potato chips on the couch, cracked over their mind.

Maybe when it becomes legal in states, people will look at it differently.

So you're the reason why my dad became a site safety supervisor.

BobDylan

I smoke pretty casually as do most of my friends that smoke. It's not something that really gets in the way. Woke up today, packed a bowl, smoked some, made breakfast, smoked the rest of the bowl and about to play halo 4. Im doing these with or without weed but being high is very pleasant. it's decriminalized where im at so its not really an issue. I don't get high for work though or when I have important things to do, waste of a high.

way more

I would get high all the time as a cook, till that one fateful day I thought I was cooking a turkey but it wasn't.

It wasn't a turkey!

It was a ham!!!!

Never again.

Oppo

In that huge Canadian study about pot smoking, they did do a series of tests involving the reflexes of driving under the influence, in order to properly make legislative recommendations.

Amusingly, they actually discovered that the pot smokers tended to be a lot more careful and attentive (or paranoid), and slightly better drivers than average. Of course in the end they actually recommended that it still be illegal to drive under the influence of pot, as you are taking somebody else's life in your hands, and therefore the usual sobriety standard still applies.

I always smell pot smoke when I walk past a construction site. Unless its for a skyscraper downtown or something really massive. I think most of Toronto's condos have been constructed by a stoned people.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jeez, be careful man!
I would get high all the time as a cook, till that one fateful day I thought I was cooking a turkey but it wasn't.

It wasn't a turkey!

It was a ham!!!!

Never again.
Hahaha stuff like this is probably the most likely result.

But still, don't get potted up on the job kids

Zeke

I remember when I was working seasonal retail a few years back I would get high before going in best thing ever! Made it easy to deal with idiot costumers and made the night go by so much faster.

It amazes me how people that were in their 20s/30s in the 60s are so clueless about pot. I had lunch with my (step) grandma yesterday. She is in the begining stages of glaucoma. Some of her friends jokingly suggested she go to Cali and smoke it up. She wouldn't believe me that pot has actual, legitimate benefits and medical is legal in 17 states. I went over some of the things is was good for and she insisted that it couldn't be good for you, had to be bad for you, and made you see monsters. I was like..the fuck? So I threw it out that I tried it last year and the only thing it did for me was be acutely aware of how slight my body is. I didn't see monsters, I didn't get "silly", I didn't get the munchies.

She also repeatedly asked me if I got it off "the streets". You know, the mean streets of Central Indiana where people hide in alleys trying to sell pot to kids. The slightest bit of research into pot should put to rest all of the reefer madness nonsense. No matter how many times I said "doctors don't prescribe cigarettes and alcohol to people", she couldn't be convinced that pot was somehow not a hard drug on the level of heroin and meth.

I mean I did it once, waited until my mid 20s, and didn't get much out of it. I don't really have much desire to try it again, but I support legalization for medical and recreational usage. While alcohol and weed aren't the same at all, getting blazed at work should be treated the same as drinking on the job. Especially in something like construction. The fuck is that shit?

Or your grandma is just special. My parents told me all about drugs. In fact they've done way more than I ever will.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Getting high for me is all about calming down, you don't get to escape anything tho

shira

It amazes me how people that were in their 20s/30s in the 60s are so clueless about pot. I had lunch with my (step) grandma yesterday. She is in the begining stages of glaucoma. Some of her friends jokingly suggested she go to Cali and smoke it up. She wouldn't believe me that pot has actual, legitimate benefits and medical is legal in 17 states. I went over some of the things is was good for and she insisted that it couldn't be good for you, had to be bad for you, and made you see monsters. I was like..the fuck? So I threw it out that I tried it last year and the only thing it did for me was be acutely aware of how slight my body is. I didn't see monsters, I didn't get "silly", I didn't get the munchies.

She also repeatedly asked me if I got it off "the streets". You know, the mean streets of Central Indiana where people hide in alleys trying to sell pot to kids. The slightest bit of research into pot should put to rest all of the reefer madness nonsense. No matter how many times I said "doctors don't prescribe cigarettes and alcohol to people", she couldn't be convinced that pot was somehow not a hard drug on the level of heroin and meth.

I mean I did it once, waited until my mid 20s, and didn't get much out of it. I don't really have much desire to try it again, but I support legalization for medical and recreational usage. While alcohol and weed aren't the same at all, getting blazed at work should be treated the same as drinking on the job. Especially in something like construction. The fuck is that shit?

I'm all for ingesting weed, but smoking anything destroys your lungs. I can see why an old person who doesn't smoke who be put off by suddenly blazing up. Just give her some brownies or something.

Worker's comp man, injured on the job and you can post on GAF all day

I'm all for ingesting weed, but smoking anything destroys your lungs. I can see why an old person who doesn't smoke who be put off by suddenly blazing up. Just give her some brownies or something.

Worker's comp man, injured on the job and you can post on GAF all day

some of the best athletes in the world toke. it doesnt destroy your lungs.

If you take drugs to escape reality, don't take drugs.
Not to escape reality, just to like, make reality better, man.

Smoking and playing video games for a few hours sounds absolutely amazing. Unfortunately I am old and married and this is just not possible anymore. I wouldn't even know where to score a lid these days if I wanted to.

Why do I see posts on Facebook saying "High AF!" - along with the elderly saying "Oh these kids are trying... to escape reality!" (does the exact opposite for me)

It's not like that. I just started working construction, and all my coworkers smoke blunts just like a cig i.e. normal? We get high, continue what we're doing, and go on. You see in movies it's always a couple of bone heads eating potato chips on the couch, cracked over their mind.

Maybe when it becomes legal in states, people will look at it differently.

Yeah but what happens when you get all potted up on weed and get behind the wheel?

i'm a lightweight. more than two rips and i'm the most non-functional person on the planet. i cannot handle working high.

I can take like 10 hits from a bowl and I'll be chill as fuck.

2 giant bong rips and I fucking lose my shit.

Never understood it.

edit: I remember getting so high I thought I was in an earthquake. Turns out I just couldn't fucking stay still.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with taking a little bit of the edge off at work, but know your limits man.

2 and a half years of smoking has destroyed my tolerance. I just can't get that high anymore, it sucks. I guess I should take a break, but I think it speaks to how awesome weed is that I still enjoy smoking even though I haven't been on a journey in a while. Even music just isn't the same as before.

Top Bottom