• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting into The Smiths/Morrissey: What albums to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've listened to You Are the Quarry (which I ripped from a radio stations copy). I love it, so if I liked this album would I like Morrissey's other albums or the Smiths albums?

What should I buy?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just go ahead and buy them all. Start with The Queen Is Dead, though. That one's considered the best Smiths album by most. Even though everyone agrees that Strangeways Here We Come is their worst, I really like that one, too.

Kola

I like his solo stuff a little more so: Bona Drag, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall And I.

The Smiths: The Queen Is Dead is certainly a nice album, but you might also check out some of his live recordings. "Rank (Live Recordings)" <--- Awesome!

I think Louder Than Bombs is the best place to start. It has some early tracks and some later, as well as some of their catchier tunes.

After that, Queen is Dead or Meat is Murder.

shoplifter

mattiewheels said:
Even though everyone agrees that Strangeways Here We Come is their worst

go to hell, heathen.

Strangeways > *

Solo stuff: Vauxhall, Your Arsenal

Smiths: Strangeways, Louder Than Bombs

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
shoplifter said:
go to hell, heathen.

Strangeways > *
I didn't say I agree!

(Plus, saying that's the worst Smiths album is like saying it's the best album 99% of the bands out there could never produce.)

Guzim

The best Smiths album: The Queen is Dead

The worst Smiths album: self/titled

Best Morrissey album: Your Arsenal

Worst Morrissey album: Kill Uncle

Gorey

Ignatz Mouse said:
I think Louder Than Bombs is the best place to start. It has some early tracks and some later, as well as some of their catchier tunes.

After that, Queen is Dead or Meat is Murder.

Sums it up pretty nicely, I'd say. Those two/three albums will suit you ok if you end up a 'casual' fan.... Otherwise, get 'em all.
Bonus points; track down Quicksand's semi-rare Smiths cover. Funky.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'm just excited for you to hear the early stuff since you like the Quarry album. So much of it is soooo much better than that.

tt_deeb

It might be wise to get the two Smith's Greatest Hits volumes instead. I mean, that was enough to hold me over for quite awhile - unless you want an actual album.

shoplifter said:
OH NO YOU DID NOT

King Leer+Found Found Found+Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye = ownage

but what do they 'own' shoplifter?
bona drag? vauxhall and i? or more realistically: southpaw grammar..... :(

go with the best of the smiths first, all the strong songs are on those and then go backwards in time to the albums. you will find that you will end up loving the queen is dead...

as for moz, vauxhall is perhaps the easiest to slide into, especially after 'You Ate the Curry'

Matlock

Banned
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
Shoplifters of the World Unite
National Front Disco

The best three songs in the Morrissey/Smiths catalogue.

I'm leaving out Girlfriend in a Coma, because my roommate played it for a day straight once.

shoplifter

Templar Wizard said:
but what do they 'own' shoplifter?
bona drag? vauxhall and i? or more realistically: southpaw grammar..... :(

It's the aged Shiraz in Mozzer's catalog. Certainly an aquired taste, but you don't go back afterwards.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Get Meat is Murder. It's the best smiths album ever. But I already told you this ages ago.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
well?

what did you wind up getting?

isamu

not a bad decision. let us know how you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom