• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFWL Has a Good Sale for once! Age of Empires III for 10 cents/10 MSP

webrunner

gotee12 said:
Near the bottom of the page on a GFWL forum post concerning the success of the AoE3 sale, a user asks:

"Any chance we can get a ballpark of how sucessful it was?"

The forum mod replies:

"The ball left the stadium and someone has gone to look for it"
:lol

it'd be interesting to find out the actual revenue from selling a game at ten cents.

Twig

Banned
webrunner said:
it'd be interesting to find out the actual revenue from selling a game at ten cents.
I'm sure the sale is less about making money and more about getting people to use GFWL.

I just bought AOE3 about 5 minutes ago and it gave me a product key but no live access key. Does this game even need a live access key or am I good to go?

Fredescu

You're good to go. I assume the Live access key is for games that use the GFWL online client, which AoE3 doesn't. It's a bit silly that they even list it for games that don't use it. Surely they can hide the field if it's not relevant to the game.

Fredescu said:
You're good to go. I assume the Live access key is for games that use the GFWL online client, which AoE3 doesn't. It's a bit silly that they even list it for games that don't use it. Surely they can hide the field if it's not relevant to the game.
Ah nice thats good to know. I was wondering why they would even have the field for a game like this. After reading the past few pages on this thread I'm wondering why\how the hell I got a key for the game and other people haven't been for hours it looks like. It's installing now I just hope people actually play it online.

BloodElfHunter said:
Ah nice thats good to know. I was wondering why they would even have the field for a game like this. After reading the past few pages on this thread I'm wondering why\how the hell I got a key for the game and other people haven't been for hours it looks like. It's installing now I just hope people actually play it online.

There where around 3k online this afternoon.

Infinity said:
Regarding Key Availability ...

From the Games for Windows Live Forum:

"Due to the overwhelming success of the Age of Empires III sale, we have temporarily run out of keys to unlock the game...............Thank you for your patience and we hope you enjoy the game."

"START THE GAME ALREADY!"

I bought it (and 3 of my oldtime AOE2 lovin friends also) but waiting for the product key, hopefully tommorow

:) 10cents

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
-Add AoE3 to cart, click checkout.
-"You haven't accepted the new terms of service! Go to xbox.com."
-Go to xbox.com, sign in with my GFWL account, and accept the ToS.
-Go back to the GFWL Marketplace website...AoE3 no longer in cart.
-Add AoE3 to cart, click checkout.
-Enter your billing address! Okay.
-Choose your payment method. I choose to add a credit card.
-Enter your billing address again! Okay.
-Confirm purchase.
-Download GFWL Marketplace application.
-Install GFWL Marketplace application. Doesn't ask me where to install it to, just does what it wants.
-Sign in to GFWL Marketplace application and click on download AoE3.
-Wait. Download complete! Click install.
-What? It's just installing where it wants to again. C: is my SSD. No cancel button for the install.
-Go to settings, see default game installation directory is C:.
-Click "change." GFWL Marketplace application immediately crashes.
-Start it back up.
-AoE3 is apparently now 30% downloaded. Nothing's happening. Resume and cancel buttons are displayed.
-Click resume, nothing happens. I click cancel.
-Change game install directory.
-Download AoE3 again.

That's where I'm up to now.

sweetvar26 said:
How are the updates managed to this game? Do we have to manually update it or does GFWL does it automatically like STEAM?

It's patched up to date, doubt if it will receive another one at this point, since Ensemble is dead and all.

But yeah, GFWL usually handles it the same as Steam.

Fredescu

sweetvar26 said:
How are the updates managed to this game? Do we have to manually update it or does GFWL does it automatically like STEAM?
I assume the client doesn't auto patch yet, but I don't think you'll have to worry about that for AoE3. There won't be any more patches.

RedFalcon

Neo Member
Received my key today, installed the game and I'm off and running. Wonder if Microsoft will ever do another deal this ridiculously low. My guess is it's a one time thing for the re-launch of the service.

szaromir

Banned
EviLore said:
-Install GFWL Marketplace application. Doesn't ask me where to install it to, just does what it wants.
-Sign in to GFWL Marketplace application and click on download AoE3.
-Wait. Download complete! Click install.
-What? It's just installing where it wants to again. C: is my SSD. No cancel button for the install.
-Go to settings, see default game installation directory is C:.
-Click "change." GFWL Marketplace application immediately crashes.
-Start it back up.
-AoE3 is apparently now 30% downloaded. Nothing's happening. Resume and cancel buttons are displayed.
-Click resume, nothing happens. I click cancel.
-Change game install directory.
-Download AoE3 again.

That's where I'm up to now.
This sucks, but honestly Steam is even worse in that regard. I didn't know that you can't choose installation directory for steam games and I installed it on my smallest (system) drive. I had to reinstall entire client. Luckily I din't have to redownload anything as copying SteamApps directory and Steam executive was enough. Still kind of awkward.

After my experiences with Steam I checked all downloads and install directories in GFWL before buying AoE, otherwise I'd probably be in the same boat.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just a bump to say that I think they've issued the new keys out now, went to retry the install and clicked 'View Game Keys' and there was one there, didn't have to re-download the game or anything.

The GFWL client hotfix software killed my computer. :( It went into an endless reboot loop and nothing worked to fix it outside of formatting my hdd and reinstalling windows. What a pain in the ass. :(

Top Bottom