• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima vs. The Witcher 3

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 201 38.4%
  • The Witcher 3

Votes: 323 61.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

fF39HcS.jpg

Bryank75

Banned
Ghost is a much more enjoyable game... better gameplay, tighter story (Not just Mario - your princess is in another castle on a grand scale)
It actually made me remember the characters rather than just look at symbols on a map.

It is also visually stunning and uses vibrant colors, which was refreshing.

Sad thing is people will just vote Witcher cause they don;t have a PlayStation and never played GOT.

I also have an issue with the amount of Irish folklore, language and cultural traits etc 'borrowed' by the series.... Breacc Glas and so on. Tir na Lia is just another version of Tir na Nog.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I know Witcher 3 is a great game, but I played when it launched on PC and experienced a ton of bugs. I lost count of how many times I fell through the environment. Not only that, but for whatever reason I felt like the game dragged, a lot. Entertaining parts of the game didn't grip me, and I put so much time into the game that when I found out how much was left it was damned intimidating, lol.

GoT I've been babying since launch and I haven't experienced any issues. The only drag I've experienced is my fault as I'm completing every possible thing I can in the game. I'll finally be done next time I play.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Witcher

I didn't play Ghost but it looks like an amazing game. I did play The Witcher and while I don't love it nearly as much as most people or the critics it was a good game and I do love CDPR. I think the are the one company in gaming that truly are "for the players", plus they make fun of SJWs (yes, I know they always back down when the REE mob comes after them)

GreyHorace

I love The Witcher 3. It's a big open world where you get to roam the land as a mutated monster slayer taking on monster contracts and doing the odd job for peasants and nobles alike. The main quest is suitably epic but the side quests are what make the game and have some of the best writing you'll see in videogames.

But... I don't think TW3 is that fun to play. I don't think the gameplay is that bad, but comparing it to Ghost of Tsushima's superior combat and traversal mechanics, there's no contest. While the environments in TW3 are visually appealing, I thought Sucker Punch's use of color and weather effects (particularly the guiding wind) in their open world were on another level. And while I don't think the GoT's story and sidequests were quite equal to the quality of CDProJektRed's efforts in TW3, the writing is still stellar and had some real standouts (particularly the character and mythic quests).

I think The Witcher 3 is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. But Ghost of Tsushima is the best game I've played on the Playstation 4 and probably my Game of the Generation.

mcz117chief

I quite like Witcher 1 but I like Infamous a bit more, which is the closest to these two games so I'll have to give it to Ghost of Tsushima.

Arkam

Like picking your fav child. Witcher 3 is amazing... but it took many updates to get to this greatness as we see it now. And its on the Switch! BUt Ghost is more FUN to play for me. Each combat encounter is fun. Where as in W3 the combat is its weakest bit. I would also really rather have a Ghost sequel than a 4th witcher. GoT gets the vote!

Witcher

I didn't play Ghost but it looks like an amazing game. I did play The Witcher and while I don't love it nearly as much as most people or the critics it was a good game and I do love CDPR. I think the are the one company in gaming that truly are "for the players", plus they make fun of SJWs (yes, I know they always back down when the REE mob comes after them)
While I respect your opinion, I think we should only vote if we played both games. I skipped most of the polls because in most cases I played one game and not the other.

The only game that I have bought on PS4 three times and on PC is The witcher 3. For me it is easy the Witcher 3 is the best after The Witcher 2. For me the Witcher 2 is still the best.

cd_jakevas

I love The Witcher 3. It's a big open world where you get to roam the land as a mutated monster slayer taking on monster contracts and doing the odd job for peasants and nobles alike. The main quest is suitably epic but the side quests are what make the game and have some of the best writing you'll see in videogames.

But... I don't think TW3 is that fun to play. I don't think the gameplay is that bad, but comparing it to Ghost of Tsushima's superior combat and traversal mechanics, there's no contest. While the environments in TW3 are visually appealing, I thought Sucker Punch's use of color and weather effects (particularly the guiding wind) in their open world were on another level. And while I don't think the GoT's story and sidequests were quite equal to the quality of CDProJektRed's efforts in TW3, the writing is still stellar and had some real standouts (particularly the character and mythic quests).

I think The Witcher 3 is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. But Ghost of Tsushima is the best game I've played on the Playstation 4 and probably my Game of the Generation.

This.

As cool as GoT is, W3 is just on a whole other level. GoT has better combat, W3 everything else. GoT's writing is a little basic for my tastes, not bad, just basic.

GoT will lose because of the stairs animation.
You cannot get something as fundamental as walking wrong in an open world game. Doesn't feel good at all. Dunno if /s but I expected better from Sucker Punch.

R6Rider

Gold Member
You cannot get something as fundamental as walking wrong in an open world game. Doesn't feel good at all. Dunno if /s but I expected better from Sucker Punch.

It was, but the animations do look awful and jarring.

whats the difficulty like in ghosts of tsushima?

Playing on Hard feels like it should be the Normal difficulty.

If you do everything as they become available the game is super easy, if you don't upgrade, it can be difficult, especially for boss fights.

Last edited:

DogofWar

The Witcher 3 is a really great game. Some of the best writing as well, the characters actually seem believable even though it is a fantasy setting. The two expansions are basically games of their own and just so great.

There were a couple of missions during Hearts of Stone that were truly terrifying even, and emotional at the same time. Yeah, the only contest for me will be between The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne (BB winning probably)

LOLCats

Banned
It was, but the animations do look awful and jarring.

Playing on Hard feels like it should be the Normal difficulty.

If you do everything as they become available the game is super easy, if you don't upgrade, it can be difficult, especially for boss fights.

ok so the easy setting is likely really easy you're saying.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
Easy is a joke, but if you want to be dicing Mongols like butter, then nothing wrong with that.
rad, thanks. its more about accessibility, i like that easy option if i want to use it. im not much for getting "stuck on a boss fight"

Last edited:

Kayoba

Wow, this one is difficult, two of my favorite games this generation.

* Ghost of Tsushima is better looking in terms of visuals and has a more engaging gameplay.
* The Witcher 3 on the other hand has far better story with a branching plot and a more memorable soundtrack.

My vote goes for Ghost of Tsushima, but these are both insanely good games worthy to win and I won't be mad that Witcher 3 is taking the lead.

As I already said - Witcher 3 was the best game I've played probably since the original Deus Ex in my opinion.
CDPR alone is doing great things for all gamers and the gaming society. I have to vote for Witcher 3.

Sure Ghost of Tsushima has really nice aestetics and better combat but doesn't hold a candle against Witcher 3 as an overall experience.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Why have cotton when you can have silk.
PlayStation and their exclusives are cashmere.

'Silk is a “harder” fiber when blended with cashmere on the woolen system so the silk & cashmere blended garments do not feel as soft as 100% cashmere. Silk is less expensive than cashmere so a like garment made from a silk cashmere should be cheaper than the 100% cashmere garment.'

Top Bottom