• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima: will you be playing in color or black and white?

Color or Black and White? English or Japanese?

• Color and English

Votes: 52 50.5%
  • Color and Japanese

Votes: 47 45.6%
  • Black and

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Black and white and Japanese

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Colour, BW mode is definitely a second playthrough thing.

Japanese VA though because I look like this IRL

85e.jpg

whitesugar

Banned
this game looks to have one of the most gorgeous colour palettes i've ever seen. i can't imagine using black and white filter for anything other than a 5 min novelty. maybe people who are REALLY into old samurai movies will get something out of it, but not me

i might go japanese as i'm learning the language, but the lip syncing is looking scuffed. maybe they could patch it, but they probably won't care enough to

Eiknarf

Banned
Why can’t I edit the poll

I need to edit “black and white and English”

I don’t know what’s going on today but that’s twice it posted before I was finished

Arkam

I am truly torn on this. Been binging Saumrai films so I have that BW/JVA vibe going.... but I dont want to miss out out on that beautiful scenery..... uuugh

On paper, the smart move would be BW/JVA on the initial playthrough as we will likely see a PS5 upgrade and play Color/English then and REALLY get to take in the visuals.

MiguelItUp

To each their own, but I think you'd be doing the game some injustice if you started in black and white. It's full of so many beautiful colors. I feel like it's definitely something to check out after your first playthrough. Playing in Japanese because not only is it a period piece, but it just feels right for obvious reasons. 👌🏻

Eiknarf

Banned
I’m gonna ask this in the review thread too, so don’t get mad at me. Hahaha.

But, what was the native language when they wrote and recorded and animated this game? English or Japanese? Was the Japanese an afterthought?

I love watching my foreign movies in their native voices and I love to read subtitles. It’s real that way. Was this game made and designed in Japanese first?

Three

I’m gonna ask this in the review thread too, so don’t get mad at me. Hahaha.

But, what was the native language when they wrote and recorded and animated this game? English or Japanese? Was the Japanese an afterthought?

I love watching my foreign movies in their native voices and I love to read subtitles. It’s real that way. Was this game made and designed in Japanese first?
I doubt it being a Sucker Punch game. It was probably English first.

Lethal01

Color and whatever it was originally written in so probably English.

The B&W filter seems like a fun idea but it looks like a cheap afterthought that totally misses the effect those movies were actually going for.
It's like putting a cartoon filter on a videa and saying you are watching a cartoon.

MrS

Banned
Colour and Japanese first. The game is too beautiful and vibrant to play in B&W first time imho.

Last edited:

Rodolink

i play japanese games in Japanese and western ones in English, if dialogues and scenes were planned by a Japanese then I would play it on japanese...

Eiknarf

Banned
i play japanese games in Japanese and western ones in English, if dialogues and scenes were planned by a Japanese then I would play it on japanese...
Me too
But what I’m hearing in here is that it was written & animated in English.
I guess they added the Japanese voices and dialogue later - And apparently the lips don’t necessarily match the Japanese spoken word

JimiNutz

Banned
Colour because the leaves are pretty.
Japanese voice because I don't care that the lips don't match.

Black and White and Japanese for a second playthrough if the game is good enough.

Rodolink

Me too
But what I’m hearing in here is that it was written & animated in English.
I guess they added the Japanese voices and dialogue later - And apparently the lips don’t necessarily match the Japanese spoken word
then English it is xD
although is hard to decide color or b&w i usually don't fo second playthroughs life's too short

Rodolink

Is B&W an in-game option, or are you guys just turning the saturation down on your TV?
its the Kurosawa filter, and its not only that but some scenes and camera changed as well. for example the wind is increased for dramatic effect and so on.

Birdo

Banned
its the Kurosawa filter, and its not only that but some scenes and camera changed as well. for example the wind is increased for dramatic effect and so on.

Huh. An intersting option.

More games should have extra filters. I remember Shadow of The Collosus having a load of them.

Fnord

I was tempted to do Kurasawa mode on my initial run through, but after watching the ACG review, I think I'll save that for a second play. The audio hit sounds like it's substantial.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I will probably dabble in the Kurosawa mode but not for the whole playthrough. English VA, mostly because the Japanese isn't lip synched.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
First playthrough going colour with Japanese voices and second playthrough going full on Kurasawa mode.

Thabass

First playthough will be in Color and English. Second will be in Japanese. At one point I'll use the black and white filter.

Hudo

In color but with Japanese turned on. I kinda tend to turn on the language of the historical setting a game is set in, if it is possible. Also did with the first couple of Assassin's Creed game. Ezio speaking Italian is pretty cool.

That rule doesn't extend to historical RTS games, though. So I play Age of Empires games or Total War games in English.

Esppiral

Why are you assuming that I will play the game in English or Japanese? Dubbed would be a better option, in no way shape or form I am going to play this game in a foreign language neither English nor Japanese.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wish they’d let you pick who you wanted to speak Japanese and who you would like to speak English. I’m probably going to pick default at first.

First playthrough with all the beautiful colors and Japanese.
Second playthrough b&w in Japanese on PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom