• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Wild lands - DF PS4pro/X1X comparison

Impressive stuff. These DF videos just make the wait to get an Xbox One X seem even longer. Sony really should have held off for another year before releasing the PS4 Pro IMO.

JP

Damn.

PS4 Pro sucks. No point having that small of an upgrade when you could hold on a little longer and have a much bigger improvement.
That seems to be really disingenuous.

There have been many people using them happily for over a year before the X was even launched. It's a little like suggesting that the original Xbox One should never have been launched and they should have just waited to launch the X four years later due to the PlayStation 4 being more powerful.

Pong

Neo Member
I have no interest in the shit-flinging contests that seem to crop up around these topics but I think the driving force behind it is people's failure to remain objective.

You magicaly forgot to what he has responded.

First, a miserable lie about the bluriness. Some here should be reminded that 2k projector was the worldwide standard for digital theater during a decade, and no one was shocked because of blur on screens sized like olympic pools. A proper 1080p video signal correctly upscaled stay gorgeous on an UHD panel if the base image is.

Secondly, he wrote about a "subjective choice" (subjective is not the opposite of rationnal) when for a multi game like GW, where long session and vocal teamplay are required (its not Overwatch but PvE) its better to play where your friends are and not necessarily on your dual 5k display Quadro Xeon 128Gb workstation. GW is repetitive and too easy in solo.

Malcolm9

You magicaly forgot to what he has responded.

First, a miserable lie about the bluriness. Some here should be reminded that 2k projector was the worldwide standard for digital theater during a decade, and no one was shocked because of blur on screens sized like olympic pools. A proper 1080p video signal correctly upscaled stay gorgeous on an UHD panel if the base image is.

Secondly, he wrote about a "subjective choice" (subjective is not the opposite of rationnal) when for a multi game like GW, where long session and vocal teamplay are required (its not Overwatch but PvE) its better to play where your friends are and not necessarily on your dual 5k display Quadro Xeon 128Gb workstation. GW is repetitive and too easy in solo.

Exactly this, I'm glad someone knew what I meant.

In regards to the thread I'm happy the X has some great enhancements, but there is no need to call the Pro shite when it isn't.

thelastword

Banned
Impressive stuff. These DF videos just make the wait to get an Xbox One X seem even longer. Sony really should have held off for another year before releasing the PS4 Pro IMO.
These posts are really strange to me. What does Sony releasing the PRO 1 year earlier have to do with the XBONEX. Enjoy your XBONEX and it's ecosystem, enjoy your blurays and BC....I don't think XBONEX is impacting PS4.PRO in anyway whatsoever in the market, so to suggest they should have held PRO back makes very little sense........Lots of people are enjoying their PRO's and have not bat an eyelid. I remember a time not too long ago when XBOX fans were fine with 720p and 900p, but now they scoff at 1440p with disdain.....I'm also sure the majority of PRO owners who wanted to play wildlands have played the snort out of it since launch too and that goes with the majority of the titles being compared here... so I'm not sure these faceoffs are as impactful against the competion as you're thinking. I guess the sales figures will give us some perspective in a minute....

To extrapolate a bit further, the earlier PRO was released, the better it was for SONY, as they can fully concentrate on PS5 and exact a true generational shift from PS4/PRO to the PS5. I think too that PRO was really well designed, even better than the XBONEX in regards to CB hardware, ID buffer and Vega features. They always maintained they would not have the bruteforce to push 4k native in every title on PRO, so they engineered a way to have some great results for a 4k screen with CB whilst maintaining standard console-like perf.....At this point, it's up to devs to use the PRO features how it was designed for better results.....If they don't use it I really don't see how that's a knock on the hardware...It's also clear, that eventually PRO will be the standard PS4, so it's looking like Sony is just concentrating on it's software and new gen hardware now and letting everything fall into place...Some people argued that Sony also wanted a bit more oomph for it's VR camnpaign and seeing the upshoot on VR this holiday, it seems all the chips are falling into place......Then beginning early next year, there will be another wave of heavy hitting exclusives, which everyone has on their minds as opposed to multiplats released months ago, a year ago or even further removed.

Also, it's strange that PRO is being compared to XBONEX......, as Spencer stated that PRO competes with the XBOX-ONE-S.....and DF boss, Rich Leadbetter said that the XBONEX is equivalent to a GTX 1070 in one of his videos. So why aren't we seeing more XBONEX comparisons to high end PC? Clearly, the PRO is too far removed from XBONEX for fair comparisons eh?

belmonkey

Also, it's strange that PRO is being compared to XBONEX. Spencer said PRO competes with the XBOX-ONE-S.....and DF boss Rich Leadbetter said that the XBONEX is equivalent to a GTX 1070 in one of his videos. So why aren't we seeing more XBONEX comparisons to high end PC? Clearly, the PRO is too far removed from XBONEX for fair comparisons eh?

Well the power difference doesn't seem to be that much, it just seems like sometimes games don't seem to get upgraded to a point where they are making full use of the hardware. There are games where a Gtx 1050 ti doesn't seem too much different than what a Pro can do, and games where a Gtx 1060 fares well compared to an X.

Those texture upgrades look fantastic. I can't wait to play it on coop.

The textures aren't blurry on the Pro though, it's just the X version has enhanced textures. The Pro version still looks great regardless.

The X isn't the definitive console if you also want to play with friends who also own a PS4/Pro, so it's subjective to user.
This is correct. In my case tho, it was the other way around. I was PS4/Pro only for 4 years but had no friends to play because they all stayed into the Microsoft ecosystem. Now I bought the X and can not only play with them but also with my brother, who also shares games with me. It's nice to have the best visuals, which was the reason I went PS4, but not having anyone to play with is just trash.

These posts are really strange to me. What does Sony releasing the PRO 1 year earlier have to do with the XBONEX. Enjoy your XBONEX and it's ecosystem, enjoy your blurays and BC....I don't think XBONEX is impacting PS4.PRO in anyway whatsoever in the market, so to suggest they should have held PRO back makes very little sense........Lots of people are enjoying their PRO's and have not bat an eyelid. I remember a time not too long ago when XBOX fans were fine with 720p and 900p, but now they scoff at 1440p with disdain.....I'm also sure the majority of PRO owners who wanted to play wildlands have played the snort out of it since launch too and that goes with the majority of the titles being compared here... so I'm not sure these faceoffs are as impactful against the competion as you're thinking. I guess the sales figures will give us some perspective in a minute....

To extrapolate a bit further, the earlier PRO was released, the better it was for SONY, as they can fully concentrate on PS5 and exact a true generational shift from PS4/PRO to the PS5. I think too that PRO was really well designed, even better than the XBONEX in regards to CB hardware, ID buffer and Vega features. They always maintained they would not have the bruteforce to push 4k native in every title on PRO, so they engineered a way to have some great results for a 4k screen with CB whilst maintaining standard console-like perf.....At this point, it's up to devs to use the PRO features how it was designed for better results.....If they don't use it I really don't see how that's a knock on the hardware...It's also clear, that eventually PRO will be the standard PS4, so it's looking like Sony is just concentrating on it's software and new gen hardware now and letting everything fall into place...Some people argued that Sony also wanted a bit more oomph for it's VR camnpaign and seeing the upshoot on VR this holiday, it seems all the chips are falling into place......Then beginning early next year, there will be another wave of heavy hitting exclusives, which everyone has on their minds as opposed to multiplats released months ago, a year ago or even further removed.

Also, it's strange that PRO is being compared to XBONEX......, as Spencer stated that PRO competes with the XBOX-ONE-S.....and DF boss, Rich Leadbetter said that the XBONEX is equivalent to a GTX 1070 in one of his videos. So why aren't we seeing more XBONEX comparisons to high end PC? Clearly, the PRO is too far removed from XBONEX for fair comparisons eh?

Damn dude. You get really worked up over the Xbox hey? You should dwell on that and ask yourself why you get so emotionally invested into a single game console platform.

To clear up your confusion: I'm a huge fan of the Sony ecosystem and having a PS4 Pro with 4k bluray and Xbox One X tier specs would have limited any desire for me to purchase an Xbox One X. Now that the X is out, the PS4 Pro is a tough sell to someone (like me) who is after a mid gen console upgrade, already owns a PS4 and is platform agnostic.

Oh and you're delusional if you think that the X will have no effect on the future sales potential of the PS4 Pro. How much of an effect? Eh, who knows. But to suggest that they don't exist in the same market space is incredibly disingenuous and foolhardy.

LeFlamaBlanca

Neo Member
Definitive implies no subjective element.
The One X may not be the best console platform choice for you personally for subjective reasons, but that doesn't change the fact that the One X version is the definitive console version.
It's an objective term.

I have no interest in the shit-flinging contests that seem to crop up around these topics but I think the driving force behind it is people's failure to remain objective.
The One X objectively, unarguably and consistently hands in a better overall performance in these games than any other console and as such it is usually the definitive console to play them on.
That statement is not some bizarre statement of allegiance, it is not an inflammatory thing to say, it should not provoke any feelings of offence, it is purely a statement of fact.

And it is a useful statement of fact for all the people who actually have a reason to engage in these threads and pay attention to this kind of comparative content;
those who own multiple hardware platforms and those considering buying a specific hardware platform.
I can't see that anyone else really has much of a reason to be here outside of a general interest in this sort of thing.
But regardless of why anyone is in these threads, subjectivity is of little to no value in the discussion and seems to be causing a lot of problems.

Definitely better console
Objectively too expensive

Sony and Microsoft should have waited for a new gen instead.

Definitely better console
Objectively too expensive

This simply isn't true. What one considers "expensive" is one of the most subjective topics ever. Is a $500 console that is actually a decent value compared to comparable PC hardware, plus a nice compact package expensive? Not if you have a decent job and know how to budget. As soon as you start talking about anyone above the poverty line the "objectively" expensive argument goes out the window.

Also why should MS and Sony wait for a new gen? As long as the hardware is profitable and finds an audience it's a win.

Ubername

Banned

I really wish they did, these half-upgrades aren't really good for anything other than fleecing consumers. I mean you get some nicer performance but it's nothing on the level of what you see from PS3->4 and personally I don't see the value-add for gamers who already own the base consoles. Pumped to get a Pro tho one of these days.

I guess it's good that it drives down the price of the base consoles lol.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I cant say I agree with this. It seems like a easy way to extend the console life. Im sure 2020 will be a good time to release new 4k 60 consoles for a good price
I don't see consoles ever reaching 4K 60fps unfortunately. Last gen people were expecting this gen to be 1080p 60fps and it didn't happen.

JaxBriggs

I don't see consoles ever reaching 4K 60fps unfortunately. Last gen people were expecting this gen to be 1080p 60fps and it didn't happen.

Yeah I agree. I think what will likely happen next gen is dev's will continue to push the visuals at 4K while keeping it 30fps for most games.

Malcolm9

Damn dude. You get really worked up over the Xbox hey? You should dwell on that and ask yourself why you get so emotionally invested into a single game console platform.

To clear up your confusion: I'm a huge fan of the Sony ecosystem and having a PS4 Pro with 4k bluray and Xbox One X tier specs would have limited any desire for me to purchase an Xbox One X. Now that the X is out, the PS4 Pro is a tough sell to someone (like me) who is after a mid gen console upgrade, already owns a PS4 and is platform agnostic.

Oh and you're delusional if you think that the X will have no effect on the future sales potential of the PS4 Pro. How much of an effect? Eh, who knows. But to suggest that they don't exist in the same market space is incredibly disingenuous and foolhardy.

I don't think the Pro is a tough sell due to the X being released. When the sales are 2:1 worldwide that's an awful lot of potential customers who would like to upgrade and keep in the same ecosystem, which the Pro would offer.

The X is a fantastic machine, but I think MS released it too late to be relevant in the grander scheme of things. The biggest benefit is for people who upgraded from the original Xbox One, where you are now seeing the best version of games on the X.

The textures aren't blurry on the Pro though, it's just the X version has enhanced textures. The Pro version still looks great regardless.

The X isn't the definitive console if you also want to play with friends who also own a PS4/Pro, so it's subjective to user.

I guess that's the tactic all along for not fully embracing cross-play, this way they still get the definitive versions. There's no doubt the PS4 Pro still looks good, just not as good which is to be expected.

Sweep14

Damn.

PS4 Pro sucks. No point having that small of an upgrade when you could hold on a little longer and have a much bigger improvement.

Man, it's actually 150$ less than the 1X at the moment and at that price, it offers a very solid bang for your bucks ratio imho

Shifty

If the industry has its way and keeps pushing the shiny marketable graphics over everything else, then I agree.

That said, between the increasing cost of asset creation as resolution increases, and display panels gradually moving toward individual pixels becoming imperceptible, I feel like something has to give on that front eventually. Dunno when, but eventually...

Also, no spukc shitpost headlining a DF thread? Must be on the run from this glorious new moderation regime.

thelastword

Banned
No, there is no emotional investment here. Your statement implied that Sony is actually suffering and made a bad move because they released PRO one year earlier... I'm simply saying that is not so....A console releasing 1 year later and having the uptick in graphics 4 years into the gen with the same ballpark framerates is not abig cause for concern. As a matter of fact, if when you watch these faceoffs of older games and all you can think of is Sony shouold have released PRO much later, I think you're missing the point and so is MS. PS4 didn't sell well only because it was the more powerful hardware..There were/are much more dynamics at play, but I'm sure you know that anyway...

Koala Driving a Ferarri said:
First off no need to state how platform agnostic you are, I don't call people fanboys and such terms, I just argue the points.....By your statement above, if generally playing multiplat games at the same 30fps as PRO with a customary divide of 1440p vs 1800p is your purported big clincher at $500.00 then I guess the console is a nobrainer for you. For others, I don't think the divide in perf and rez is that drastic with two years left into the generation, where they would potentially miss out on the remainder of the best exclusives this generation.

If you're into Halo, Gears and Forza, I won't even mention that they're on PC......, and you need a further rez bump from PRO efforts, then I guess XBONEX is an option, but I don't think you should try to overstate how compelling that option is.....because real world figures and adoption will dictate otherwise....

I personally think the biggest proponents of the XBONEX should be XBOX-ONE users, that machine was just too weak. So if you have been invested in the XBOX ecosystem for the last 4 years, or never had PS4 etc...Then the XBONEX is the perfect console for you, you get some nice upgrades on your old games etc...I think the same for PS4 players, you want to see your older games a little nicer on a 4k screen, PRO is pretty great for that and your prior investments...However the bigger picture is always the games, mainly exclusives and pricepoints and I think on a wholistic level, when people think about it, it's where Sony is continuing to win with the console demograhic...
I don't know, it's like MS thought Sony were only winning because of console power. I think that was a bit misguided...

Koala Driving a Ferrari said:
Eh, it wasn't my words, it was the guy trying to sell you an XBONEX....Sir Phil Spencer. He made those statements not me. I simply repeated what he said for perspective.....As a matter of fact he overstated the prowess of XBONEX and understated the prowess of PRO, but I'm pretty sure you know that's what I was hinting at...wink wink!...

Belmonkey said:
Well the power difference doesn't seem to be that much, it just seems like sometimes games don't seem to get upgraded to a point where they are making full use of the hardware. There are games where a Gtx 1050 ti doesn't seem too much different than what a Pro can do, and games where a Gtx 1060 fares well compared to an X.
I personally don't see a huge divide between PRO and XBONEX, even with devs underutilizing PRO by not using it's CB hardware and it's vega features for the most part. At least not the divide we saw from PS4 to XBOX-ONE, which launched at the same time in 2013, mind you.....Going back to the PC bit though, I've never seen the XBONEX compare to a 1070 yet, because even now, the 1060 seems to beat it in pretty much all games at the same resolution with better settings if we gauge the same target framerate.....I'm looking at Destiny 2, Ghost Recon and pretty much all these multiplats and you see the same results, so somebody overstated the XBONEX power, as being a boxed-in GTX 1070...As a matter of fact, you can pretty much switch 1060 to a 480 if you want in select vulkan, DX12 titles and even DX11 titles for better performance and settings on either of these graphic cards...

No, there is no emotional investment here. Your statement implied that Sony is actually suffering and made a bad move because they released PRO one year earlier... I'm simply saying that is not so....A console releasing 1 year later and having the uptick in graphics 4 years into the gen with the same ballpark framerates is not abig cause for concern. As a matter of fact, if when you watch these faceoffs of older games and all you can think of is Sony shouold have released PRO much later, I think you're missing the point and so is MS. PS4 didn't sell well only because it was the more powerful hardware..There were/are much more dynamics at play, but I'm sure you know that anyway...

First off no need to state how platform agnostic you are, I don't call people fanboys and such terms, I just argue the points.....By your statement above, if generally playing multiplat games at the same 30fps as PRO with a customary divide of 1440p vs 1800p is your purported big clincher at $500.00 then I guess the console is a nobrainer for you. For others, I don't think the divide in perf and rez is that drastic with two years left into the generation, where they would potentially miss out on the remainder of the best exclusives this generation.

If you're into Halo, Gears and Forza, I won't even mention that they're on PC......, and you need a further rez bump from PRO efforts, then I guess XBONEX is an option, but I don't think you should try to overstate how compelling that option is.....because real world figures and adoption will dictate otherwise....

I personally think the biggest proponents of the XBONEX should be XBOX-ONE users, that machine was just too weak. So if you have been invested in the XBOX ecosystem for the last 4 years, or never had PS4 etc...Then the XBONEX is the perfect console for you, you get some nice upgrades on your old games etc...I think the same for PS4 players, you want to see your older games a little nicer on a 4k screen, PRO is pretty great for that and your prior investments...However the bigger picture is always the games, mainly exclusives and pricepoints and I think on a wholistic level, when people think about it, it's where Sony is continuing to win with the console demograhic...
I don't know, it's like MS thought Sony were only winning because of console power. I think that was a bit misguided...

Eh, it wasn't my words, it was the guy trying to sell you an XBONEX....Sir Phil Spencer. He made those statements not me. I simply repeated what he said for perspective.....As a matter of fact he overstated the prowess of XBONEX and understated the prowess of PRO, but I'm pretty sure you know that's what I was hinting at...wink wink!...

I personally don't see a huge divide between PRO and XBONEX, even with devs underutilizing PRO by not using it's CB hardware and it's vega features for the most part. At least not the divide we saw from PS4 to XBOX-ONE, which launched at the same time in 2013, mind you.....Going back to the PC bit though, I've never seen the XBONEX compare to a 1070 yet, because even now, the 1060 seems to beat it in pretty much all games at the same resolution with better settings if we gauge the same target framerate.....I'm looking at Destiny 2, Ghost Recon and pretty much all these multiplats and you see the same results, so somebody overstated the XBONEX power, as being a boxed-in GTX 1070...As a matter of fact, you can pretty much switch 1060 to a 480 if you want in select vulkan, DX12 titles and even DX11 titles for better performance and settings on either of these graphic cards...

So...whataya think of this Wildlands enhancements?

Top Bottom