• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon : Wildlands Open Beta Impressions.

Springy

As to actual impressions, like the closed beta, I feel the game has some issues, but what's evident in the beta is fine. There's bug fixing and improvements I can see even from the closed beta build to the open build, which is very encouraging.

My greatest concern is with the tone and subject matter, which I've become very good at tuning out over the entirety of my life playing games so that's hardly a show-stopper. I'm hoping there'll be greater variety of side missions across all the provinces. I've only done convoy hold-ups/air vehicle captures a couple of times and I'm already done with them.

As it stands, the capacity for Wildlands to let you and your friends do some real stupid shit is immense. Its greatest crime is being released in March, in among stuff like Horizon, Zelda and Mass Effect, so my group is going to hold off until we see a lull in the release schedule.

SomTervo

I like the cover system. I don't like binary "sticky" cover systems as much because they are so "fire and forget", aren't that immersive, and often get fiddly to control.

It's nice having a soft cover system where you actually have to control your own positioning and get much more flexibility over it. It hasn't caused me one issue in 10-15 hours of playing the betas.

I see it as MGSV without the cutscenes and cool abilities. lol

You do stick to walls though, but it seems to happen if you just run into them.

I wish MGSV was this fun and immersive. MGSV has dullest and most boring and unnecessary open worlds ever.

The only thing MGSV does better is the controls.

DinnerRevealer

Neo Member
Movement feels sluggish, and helicopter controls don't make any sense. Otherwise seems like it might be decent, shooting is good, a ton of customization. Maybe when it's cheap.

Lijik

Ive been digging this, but I think I would have bounced off it super fast if I didnt get into a decent group of randos right off the bat. The little bit that I played solo while the servers were down wasnt even half as fun and all of the flaws just stood out more.

I didn't expected much, but holy shit, this game is hot garbage, it runs like shit, looks like shit and plays like shit. I'll give more detailed impressions after sleep, but Ubisoft is completely out of their mind if they charging 60$ for this mess. Also, this is high graphics presets:
Looks like you're running with onboard graphics and not your actual GPU(s). Even base PS4 looks way better than that.

kamspy

I wish MGSV was this fun and immersive. MGSV has dullest and most boring and unnecessary open worlds ever.

The only thing MGSV does better is the controls.

It seems just like MGSV open world to me, but with some AI NPC roaming around. Does there become things to do outside of the specific missions areas?

SomTervo

Future Soldier had amazing movement that also looked extremely stylish, it also had very good feeling gunplay. I don't know why they'd throw it all away. Especially consider The Division, and RPG used the same type of movement system.

It's trademark Ubi cover system and Ubi themselves isn't using it lol

I think they were done with this approach after GRAW (which invented the system), GRAW2 and GRFS. That was a good 6-7 years of GR titles iirc.

nOoblet16

I think they were done with this approach after GRAW (which invented the system), GRAW2 and GRFS. That was a good 6-7 years of GR titles iirc.
I don't think GRAW had the same cover or movement system, since GRAW came before Gears and the cover system in Conviction, Future Soldier is clearly based on the cover system that Gears popularised. It was SC: Conviction that introduced this trademark Ubi system as far as I remember.

Regardless why wouldn't they use it as it's superior.

xRaizen

I thought I was the only person who liked that game. This feels like a step back in every way.
Nah I liked GRFS too, thought it was pretty fun. Co Op was cool too. A bit too linear story mode but all the gadgets and gun customization was great.

GRW does indeed feel like a stepback.

Unity2012

I enjoyed the close beta and I'm actually enjoying this open beta on the Xbox One as well.

The game is far from perfect but it is a huge undertaking--huge open world, and it's playable. I think a lot of people could benefit from tweaking the controls to their liking; it may not solve their issues but it can make for a better experience. Under options one can change the aiming, driving, drone and look sensitivity. I also swapped the bumpers because I kept throwing grenades every time I wanted to send a team command. Playing with the options is not perfect but it helps a lot.

I wish we could customize our team too; that would be great. All and all I like the game even when I'm playing solo. I've been wanting a Ghost Recon game closer to the originals for a long time. This will do the trick for now.

Daeoc

Future Soldier felt much tighter. I just feel like I don't have precise control of my character in cover.

I agree. I was looking forward to this because of Future Soldier, and after playing the beta, it is not what I wanted. I just wanted them to build on FS, was expecting a better FS turned open world.

It controls just like GRAW did years ago.

I guess Ghost Recon fans will be happy, because Ghost Recon always controlled stiff, and shooting always felt underwhelming.
Actually reminds me of those GRAW 2 co-op missions, but more refined.

I thought I was the only person who liked that game. This feels like a step back in every way.
It was buggy and unpolished, but I loved it.

FatalT

Banned
It'll be nice when this releases and everyone with a vendetta against the "Ubisoft formula" will be keeping their drive-by shit posts out of the OT.

I finished the 5 missions in the second area this morning. It gets hard, even on regular difficulty. Multiple helicopters attacking you, mortar strikes, multiple reinforcement calls, outposts with drone jammers, alarm systems, and tank-like APCs. I'm looking forward to it!

Timu

At 1440p on Very High it runs at 50-65 FPS for me and I'm on a 1070/i7-6700k/16GB RAM.

Ultra however makes it run in 30-45 FPS.

Here's Very High:
grw_2017_02_23_18_01_darba.png

And here's Ultra:

Does anyone know how to use night vision when flying drones? I put a skill point into night vision, yet when I'm flying my drone around pressing N does nothing. What gives?

ironcreed

Banned
These Unidad patrols are ridiculous. They just keep spawning and follow you wherever you go. Helicopters everywhere shooting at me.

I_D

Tried it out, and I've unfortunately already uninstalled.

Ghost Recon used to be one of my favorite franchises. I was cautiously optimistic, so this one hurts.

OrionCelsius

Neo Member
I haven't tried the open beta yet, but I read something on Reddit about optimization on PC. If you disable V-sync the game doesn't stutter as much, less dips in FPS. Just thought I'd throw this out there since I see a lot of people complaining about the game running poorly. It actually still ran pretty bad on my i6700k/980ti, but it did improve things (although I did have to deal with screen tearing).

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
How is it false, its the same shit every time. Their open world design here is no different from The Division, no different from Far Cry, no different from AC

Did you actually play any of those games?

The Division's ooen world is absolutely nothing, and i mean nothing, like Far Cry's open world.

Thats like saging GTAV and MGSV are no different.

Makes you sound insane.

juventino

Banned
Did you actually play any of those games?

The Division's ooen world is absolutely nothing, and i mean nothing, like Far Cry's open world.

Thats like saging GTAV and MGSV are no different.

Makes you sound insane.

The mission structure follows their formula in every single game. The gameplay is not alike, but their writing and mission structure is exactly the same for each open world game they do

SomTervo

The mission structure follows their formula in every single game. The gameplay is not alike, but their writing and mission structure is exactly the same for each open world game they do

What other mission structure is there for an open world game?

> get mission
> go do mission
> probably flee from mission

It's literally the same even in GTA, MGSV, Saints Row, etc.

Just seems like a ton of unnecessary bloat. None of the open world parts of it seem fun. I'd just prefer to go from mission to mission with no delays. I have no idea why they push so hard for you to go into public matchmaking though. Unorganised coop seems to highlight all the problems even more.

SomTervo

I don't think GRAW had the same cover or movement system, since GRAW came before Gears and the cover system in Conviction, Future Soldier is clearly based on the cover system that Gears popularised. It was SC: Conviction that introduced this trademark Ubi system as far as I remember.

Regardless why wouldn't they use it as it's superior.

Future Soldier feels more like The Division and Blacklist than GRAW to me.

I must be misremembering how GRAW's cover worked.

I prefer how GRW does it, but hey. I still love Blacklist and think Division is ok, but they're very different games. Being in control of your positioning and stance here feels much better.

Just seems like a ton of unnecessary bloat. None of the open world parts of it seem fun. I'd just prefer to go from mission to mission with no delays. I have no idea why they push so hard for you to go into public matchmaking though. Unorganised coop seems to highlight all the problems even more.

Unorganised coop is often brilliant fun. The general sentiment is that coop helps one overlook the game's issues.

Is it just me or did they remove a bunch of customization items from the closed beta?

I could be making it up but I remember a lot more choices a few weeks ago.

Adnor

Banned
Runs much better for me, don't have the framerates to compare, but the streaming stuttering is gone.

A lot of weird bugs tho, like if half of your body is clipping with a shelf you can't be revived, and when you're in a car the chat box sometimes gets bugged until you exit the car.

Even with better performance, this game is still pretty disappointing. Everything about it feels underwhelming, from the vehicle handling to the stealth and actual shooting.

I canceled my pre-order. I was hoping that the closed beta was simply a much older build, but this newest beta still feels clunky.

I'm shocked at the aim toggling stuff. Why even have an option to default to third person view? I hate aiming my gun expecting it to be over the shoulder, but instead I end up with a big clunky gun in my face. That just feels like super obvious poor game design.

Tovarisc

I canceled my pre-order. I was hoping that the closed beta was simply a much older build, but this newest beta still feels clunky.

I'm shocked at the aim toggling stuff. Why even have an option to default to third person view? I hate aiming my gun expecting it to be over the shoulder, but instead I end up with a big clunky gun in my face. That just feels like super obvious poor game design.

That is user issue, or you on console and version bugged? Just put in ~4h on PC and didn't have that issue. Aim mode was always what I had set it to for specific gun. Tapping Alt swaps between 3rd and 1st person view.

Overall this build is clear improvement from closed beta in every way. Everything has been improved in one or another. Really considering getting this for some coop with friends.

Samikaze

Haven't had a chance to hop in the Open Beta, but are the AI commands controls the same? Before they used a really finicky command circle, that required you to stop and select an order mid-combat.

I'd much prefer they went the old Brother in Arms, Rainbow Six route of one button, aim-press/hold commands, but is this one at least easier to use on the fly?

The Dude

Division felt better to me. I was really pumped for wildlands but it feels sluggish, feels overall wonky. The first few minutes were so boring I just found myself really checking out.

I think for me with horizon, Zelda, me, Nier, and nioh still going I need to pass on this. But I'll keep checking to see if there are some more positive impressions

legbone

OK, my definition of open world must be different than some people's in this thread. I would call the division pseudo-open world at best. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember the division being a series of "dungeons" connected by some streets with some trash mobs while traveling between them. It kind of has more in common with Diablo than far cry in my opinion. And saying the division and far cry are the same is just bat shit crazy in my opinion. Now, don't get me wrong, I loved the division, but I see this game and the division having little in common and that is by design. And I could be wrong on higher difficulties (I play on normal) or later in the game, but when I shoot someone in the head with a sniper rifle in this game they die with one shot. The same can't be said of the division (which I didn't mind because it was a loot based dungeon crawler with guns). As for this beta, I'm glad that I played it. I went from ignoring it (because I didn't think you could solo it) to pre-ordering. I may regret it but I doubt it. It seems like every time I like a Ubisoft game there are 10 people telling me ubiwrong (sorry, too easy). I hope all these naysayers stay the hell out of the OT. You can have your opinions all you want in a beta impressions thread, but in an OT id have to ask "why did you buy the game if you hated the beta so much". Sorry for my opinions to those I have offended. I really like this game and I understand some really hate it. But comparing it to the division (which I Love btw) is kind of a apples to buttholes situation. But I'm sure I'm wrong.

If I approach this game as a great co-op chaos, disorder, and destruction simulator I can have a lot of fun but when you toss the Ghost Recon name in the mix it gets a bit muddled in it's own identity as I think the former is really the intent of the developers in creating something much closer to a Mercenaries-like experience.

The issue with that is the long-time Ghost Recon fans aren't generally wanting/expecting an arcade-like experience versus a solid tactical sim-like experience.

legbone

Apples do sort of have like little puckered butt holes where the stem is, just saying.

That's funny. Thanks for the laugh, seriously not being facetious. I didn't think of that. And to you good sir or madam I say "sometimes a cigar is just a big ole dick in disguise". I think that's how that quote goes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Haven't had a chance to hop in the Open Beta, but are the AI commands controls the same? Before they used a really finicky command circle, that required you to stop and select an order mid-combat.

I'd much prefer they went the old Brother in Arms, Rainbow Six route of one button, aim-press/hold commands, but is this one at least easier to use on the fly?

It's the same, and I totally agree. I hate how you have to stop dead in your tracks to issue orders. Brothers in Arms is a great example of how to do on-the-fly squad commands the right way.

I wish there was an easier way to switch the camera from right to left over the shoulder then having to go into cover and moving to the opposite side to switch it >.>

I also have the same graphical issue as the closed beta. Then you move the camera, things darken up..but when you stop, everything brightens up. Get in Dying Light too and it annoys the shit out of me.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
I wish there was an easier way to switch the camera from right to left over the shoulder then having to go into cover and moving to the opposite side to switch it >.>

I also have the same graphical issue as the closed beta. Then you move the camera, things darken up..but when you stop, everything brightens up. Get in Dying Light too and it annoys the shit out of me.
Press the middle mouse button to switch shoulders.

Top Bottom