• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song release date announce for November 3rd

Kamina

Golden Boy
Another Metroid clone?

Oh My God Wow GIF
While it gives the impression,
Gameplaywise it isnt as much of a metroid.

In turn the enemies are hit sponges. I really dislike the Souls influence on this game so far.

THIS is my biggest beef with the game. The "leveling" itself is pretty minor, only 3 stats to raise so it isn't like there will be real build variety here. The gains you get are just little incremental ones to stats. But I've pumped most of mine into guns and most enemies are still super spongy.
Other than that I think the game is pretty great, it looks, sounds and plays very well.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
In turn the enemies are hit sponges. I really dislike the Souls influence on this game so far.
I wonder if the enemies are less spongy on the easier difficulty(Explorer).

I played for almost 2 hours and I can say if you want a Metroid experience this game is probably it. It's pretty good and worth the wait.

I wonder if the enemies are less spongy on the easier difficulty(Explorer).

I played for almost 2 hours and I can say if you want a Metroid experience this game is probably it. It's pretty good and worth the wait.

As a filthy casual, I'm playing on explorer difficulty and the enemies are spongy as a motherfucker. It does improve somewhat with the gun stat, but not enough. I dunno if gun damage or HP totals factor into the difficulty setting.
A patch either raising damage output for the leveling or reducing most HP pools by a third would help.

SweetShark

As a filthy casual, I'm playing on explorer difficulty and the enemies are spongy as a motherfucker. It does improve somewhat with the gun stat, but not enough. I dunno if gun damage or HP totals factor into the difficulty setting.
A patch either raising damage output for the leveling or reducing most HP pools by a third would help.
I only played the Demo, but I think you need to combine you're guns and melee attacks together to see a difference.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Might be interesting if different enemy types have different resistances. I'm just not fond of early enemies bursting into acid clouds that can damage your character.

From what I gather the game wants you to be close to do more damage with your blaster and wants you to melee when your blaster overheats.

It's a bit more manageable when you get the spear.

But I agree the enemies are damage sponges. I'll have to see how much bullshit the enemies actually are once I get the upgrade that displays enemy health.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Good he was banned - sometimes you just need to hit another person in the face to teach them shit, what sort of beta thinking is "let's all sing kumbaya and the mean people will go away"?
There are times when force is necessary. A bald joke isn’t one of those times. You need thin skin to think it’s alpha, or acceptable, to punch every ‘mean person’.

marjo

It doesn't take a lot. I was banned there for "promoting violence against game developers", because I said Gamefreak deserves to be criticized and shamed for their low effort games

I was banned for 'tone policing' after pushing back on a mod who basically said that all white people are racist. That's when I decided to leave the site for good.

Last edited:

hlm666

I only played the Demo, but I think you need to combine you're guns and melee attacks together to see a difference.
It's this, once your gun hits the heat threshold and slows down your melee attacks do more damage. Waiting for the gun to cooldown or continuing to fire at the slow rate is kinda like not using the parry system in sekiro and trying to chip damage stuff to death.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Might be interesting if different enemy types have different resistances. I'm just not fond of early enemies bursting into acid clouds that can damage your character.

From what I gather the game wants you to be close to do more damage with your blaster and wants you to melee when your blaster overheats.

It's a bit more manageable when you get the spear.

But I agree the enemies are damage sponges. I'll have to see how much bullshit the enemies actually are once I get the upgrade that displays enemy health.
They are total bullshit. Explorer seems to just reduce the death penalty, I still takes about 100 hits to kill a boss.

DarkestHour

Banned
I agree with others on the annoyance of it trying to be Souls-like and the bullet sponges. The Souls-like piece isn't such an issue, but coupled with the bullet sponge it really sucks the fun out of the game for me. The art direction is really cool though. Has a salad fingers vibe to it.

MarkMe2525

This game is fucking amazing. I love everything about it. The dialog, upgrade system, atmosphere, art style, music and sound effects, combat are all top notch.

I have never heard of this game until it showed up on the new release section of gamepass. Very happy I gave it a shot. Situations like this are why I probably will always keep an active gamepass subscription.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

It's also worth mentioning that you gun does more damage the closer you are to an enemy as well.
Yes, you have to lean into the game mechanics to be successful. A player should always be swapping between their ranged attacks and jumping in close for melee to take advantage of the overheat damage boost on your melee weapons. I feel like people are trying to play this game like a metriod and knocking it when they aren't successful.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

Last edited:

Pimpollo818

Yes, you have to lean into the game mechanics to be successful. A player should always be swapping between their ranged attacks and jumping in close for melee to take advantage of the overheat damage boost on your melee weapons. I feel like people are trying to play this game like a metriod and knocking it when they aren't successful.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

I'm quite enjoying this myself. It's my type of comfort food. It doesn't do any one thing amazingly well, but it all comes together quite nicely. Combat is tougher early on since you don't have the missiles yet, but it isn't too bad once you learn how hard foes hit. Exploration has been well done, no real itemization to speak of. Map is well done, as are the pins. Very little to complain about thus far.

Shakka43

Finished it today. Love the art style, classic yet modern unlike the 8 bit trash indy developers love to shove down our throats these days. The gameplay is also pretty solid, although the enemies can be a little to spongie at times and as a Metroid-like I wish it made better use of the weapons/abilities to unlock new locations.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
They are total bullshit. Explorer seems to just reduce the death penalty, I still takes about 100 hits to kill a boss.

One difference I heard is that on the easier setting, you can bypass some bosses altogether...even the final one. It should make it a lot easier for the beat the game without dying and the beat the game in under 3 hours achievements. :)

Also, for anyone compaining about the level not seeming to matter, it definitely does. The world enemies as a whole gets more difficult with each spaceship part you turn in. Even at level 43, I never felt overpowered until I got the "poisonous insect egg" type weapon and the Painwheel. Nothing posed much of a threat after getting those. :messenger_fire:

Last edited:

kevm3

Just beat it. Great game. I enjoyed it more than most of the other metroidvanias that get hyped. If you're expecting a super difficult game, look elsewhere. I found it refreshing to play something more laid back like this after the countless bash your head against the wall style metroidvanias

SweetShark

Just beat it. Great game. I enjoyed it more than most of the other metroidvanias that get hyped. If you're expecting a super difficult game, look elsewhere. I found it refreshing to play something more laid back like this after the countless bash your head against the wall style metroidvanias

Except the freaking big robot with the giant skull. Fuck that guy. I died 6 times to this guy and none to the final boss...

Last edited:
Top Bottom