• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters character vignettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cast (new, old, and Ray Parker Jr.) on Kimmel tonight

CkZbItIUYAAIQL5.jpg:large

Man, that looks like a genuine smile from all of them (Murray's especially). Regardless of how this film does / is, it seems like everyone's very passionate about it.

Will try to catch that interview. Ghostbusters is honestly one of the only films I'm really intrigued with this summer.

cr0w

Old Member
Guy has been on paycheck mode for the better part of a decade. Don't think he has shown any passion to any product he's been attached to during that time.

I recommend checking out St. Vincent, if you haven't already.

But it still doesn't seem that funny...

Still a bit weird that they won't reprise their old roles but play random cameos.

Reboot, innit. The previous movies never happened in this universe, despite the numerous references to them muddying the waters.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The more I see of the film the more I'm happy to have it exist as a "cover version" and am getting pretty interested to go see it. I love the original film, I was never really against the idea of this one other than in a "why do people keep remaking good films?" sort of way - certainly didn't have any issue with the cast as I really enjoyed Bridesmaids and Kristen Wiig is hilarious. I think i was just a little ambivalent about it all to begin with but now I've got more used to the idea that this is actually a thing and has a character of it's own and I'm more than happy to go see their spin on it. Why not? Nothing about the trailers has put me off and good comedies are always better than trailers make them out to be. The only thing I don't like is the look of the ghosts - too bright for my liking, makes them stand out too much. They're all like neon signs, it's crazy.

If it turns out to be crappy then the original is still there kicking ass (and the sequel is still there being mostly disappointing) so what do I have to lose by them making another with a new spin on it? It's not like something like Avatar The Last Airbender where someone makes a shitty film and ruins the chances of a decent film being made - there's already one good film and I love Ghostbusters stuff, I'm happy for more Ghostbusters stuff to happen.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Here's the new poster:

zctE5v7.jpg

Can't help but notice that every promo shot I've seen of them this whole time is always that "tough" pose, liked lined up and looking sternly at the camera. I dunno, but that alone gives me an off feeling about what kind of flick it is. Like how about a promo shot of them bustin ghosts?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does this count?
Yeah, I feel like a shot like that would make a great poster. That "we're tough" thing just seems weird to me.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, I feel like a shot like that would make a great poster. That "we're tough" thing just seems weird to me.

Yeah, they could do a mix of different poses. I think they're trying to avoid people dismissing it as just another Paul Feig comedy and give it a bit of an edge. The early marketing for this film hasn't been great though. Especially stuff like this:

The_43da20_5900051.jpg

brinstar

Man this looks so good to me, my favorite part was Erin getting fired hahaha. Like dead-on the kind of humor I like.

TheFuzz

Aside from McKinnon being herself, every scene just looks so cringe-worthy. I wish I could be excited but nothing looks funny, it all looks so try-hard, even in the better clips.

Boem

Guy has been on paycheck mode for the better part of a decade. Don't think he has shown any passion to any product he's been attached to during that time.

Limiting myself to movies from the last 10 years where Murray was great (and there are some I'm leaving out, such as Zombieland and The Limits of Control, which were fun but didn't require him to do all that much):

- The Darjeeling Limited (extremely small part though)
- Fantastic Mr Fox
- Get Low
- Moonrise Kingdom
- Hyde Park on Hudson
- The Monuments Men
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- St. Vincent
- Rock the Kasbah
- A Very Murray Christmas (I know a lot of people here hated it but I honestly thought it was brilliant - poking fun at his own fame and the over the top legend building that happens around him online)

That's a lot of good work. He also tends to mostly limit himself (Garfield notwithstanding) to smaller movies that aren't necessarily aiming for larger audiences. If he was truly just working for a paycheck he would have done Ghostbusters years ago, or he'd have shown up as some silly sidecharacter in a dumb Marvel movie or whatever (you know they'd take him in a heartbeat).

Seems like he just chooses scripts that interest him the most, as opposed to trying to find easy jobs for lots of cash. There are a lot of jobs he could take if he wanted to do that. Even if you don't like any of the movies I listed, you can't describe that CV as 'paycheck mode'.

Yeah, they could do a mix of different poses. I think they're trying to avoid people dismissing it as just another Paul Feig comedy and give it a bit of an edge. The early marketing for this film hasn't been great though. Especially stuff like this:

The_43da20_5900051.jpg

That is fucking terrible.

That is "Who Da Man? YODAMAN" levels of bad.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Chris Helmsworth is friggin' good on this.
Which i dunno if its good or bad lol

Henkka

Banned
Here's the new poster:

The poster is whatever, but I'm puzzled who thought it was a good idea to make their backpacks bright orange. It looks like a preschooler's backpack.

That, and the cartoonishly huge yellow light on the car.

Hagi

Wow Paul Feig is fly as fuck. I'm still iffy on this movie in general but I'll probably give it a chance anyway in the hopes it surprises.

The irony of Paul Feig saying "You can't do Ghostbusters without the Ecto-1" when one of the things that pissed me off the MOST when this movie was announced was him saying the exact opposite, and how there wouldn't be an Ecto-1 or Slimer or any of that.

I wonder if we'll ever hear the full story of what happened with this movie. While I'm sure I'll enjoy it there's not a fucking chance the movie we see in July is the movie Paul Feig set out to make when this was announced.

We're talking about a car from the '50s in '80s New York, and a car from the '80s in '10s New York.

Same time gap there. Same level of "alienness" to today's kids.

Its not really the same though even if the years are the same.
In the 80's something of that year and style was 1 in hundreds, it was just so out of style it had that wow factor.

However cars of nearly that age or style you still see all the time, on top of the fact that model of hearse has hardly changed in 30 years like a Jeep Cherokee and such.
It ends up just looking old and cheap with no sense of style.

To me i'd either go for the exact original or something 100% different.
Heck something like a 70's or 80's Station Wagon in Ecto-1's scheme could work really well to make it pop more while similar in age, function and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom