• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the movie today. It was ok, it had all the elements to be a really good comedy, but some of the jokes were just too awkward. It looks absolutely amazing in 3D, this is how to do it. A bit too dark, but amazing effects. Also the ghosts, damn they were good looking.

McCarthy was herself, she should do something else next. Jones wasn't good at all. I liked Wiig and McKinnon a lot. Also Hemsworth.

I've never heard anyone clap in a theatre in Finland. Some people applauded when Weaver did her cameo. Cameos were a bit on/off. The after-the-credits scene was awesome.

I liked all the old movie, animation and comics references. Gave me a nostalgia trip.

Decent effort with great visuals and some great jokes. No worth the hate and all that stupid bantering. This will not kill your childhood, movie stands on its own.

3/5.

pompidu

It doesn't need to, it wasn't written for the purpose.
Like that little quote from article, it's his personal take on this whole thing. Its valuable to some and something that's easily avoidable. Seems to me you just don't like this conversation happening at all.

Conversate all you want, but when you group people together (like he did), it comes off as condescending and prickish. There is legitimate reasons for people not liking the direction of Ghostbusters, it is disingenuous to lump those people in with the people who are anti women.

Conversate all you want, but when you group people together (like he did), it comes off as condescending and prickish. There is legitimate reasons for people not liking the direction of Ghostbusters, it is disingenuous to lump those people in with the people who are anti women.
No one is doing this. If you really believe that then your just being disingenuous or insecure.

stuminus3

I appreciate what that Faraci is trying to say but with the rate the #LoveforLeslieJ tag is trending I think maybe he's being too quick to tar us all with the same brush. I think his original presumption of who a Ghostbusters fan may be is probably more accurate than the picture the poison minority is trying to paint. I think the same thing about gamers too, on a somewhat related subject. You've got a small handful of idiots, then you've got millions of people saying nothing at all. Maybe I'm just an optimist.

JackDT

The vocal minority who shits on this movie because "women" can easily be tuned out. He choose to engage himself in all that nonsense. Is the outrage annoying? Yes. Is it a very small sect of the population? Absolutely. People liked what the saw and went to see it. The box office shows that. People like him choose to focus on this very small crowd giving it more attention. Stop writing dumb articles and let this shit pass, instead of fanning the fires.

Now the Leslie Twitter shit is disgusting, vile.

Anyone with internet experience can do some searches, and graph connections if you want to get fancy, and see it's an organized campaign centered around the Breitbart anti-feminist @Nero. That's the crowd behind all this stuff particularly the Leslie stuff happening now, as the same crowd also puts anti-black as part of their cultural identity. It's not a small crowd though... as would be pretty obvious from anyone watching the RNC right now.

So I liked the movie and I feel like it definitely didn't deserve all the hate online.

holtz was the big stand out for me actress playing her was oozing charisma all in all worth a watch.

Only real minor complaints I had were the 7-11 and Pringles product placement but those were the only two so it wasn't to egregious.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This post took twelve words to make.

I loved the Pringles product placement because of how stupid and random it was. And Holtzman line about why she was eating them made me chuckle. It was a really on the nose product placement, and I thought it was fun. The 7-11 didn't bother me. It was literally just a logo on the screen for about a total of 3 or 4 seconds.

To be honest, though, product placement in general doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because I live in Los Angeles, but product placement is kind of everywhere. In store windows, on billboards, on buses, even the people walking down the street have it on their clothes (hell, I'm wearing a Robocop 1987 shirt I got from Loot Crate last month today. That's practically product placement). There are certainly egregious examples of product placement, but unless it's a Pepsi commercial in Lord of the Rings, I don't have a problem with it.

Anyone with internet experience can do some searches, and graph connections if you want to get fancy, and see it's an organized campaign centered around the Breitbart anti-feminist @Nero. That's the crowd behind all this stuff particularly the Leslie stuff happening now, as the same crowd also puts anti-black as part of their cultural identity. It's not a small crowd though... as would be pretty obvious from anyone watching the RNC right now.

I think we can judge a decent section of the fandom by their reddit page.

Upvoting Milo's review. Amongst a bunch of other shit.

pompidu

No one is doing this. If you really believe that then your just being disingenuous or insecure.

Ghostbusters has always been very important to me, but after the past few months it feels tainted. And not because of the reboot, which was fine and not only didn't hurt the original, it homaged it too much, but because of the revelation that Ghostbusters fans are, in a word, monsters. It's going to take me some time to surgically remove the experiences of the last few months - and the camel-breaking straw that was the deluge of racist harrassment aimed at reboot star Leslie Jones on Twitter yesterday - from the original film.

Example 1 of lumping all fans into one from the article.

Maybe that's why the revelation that so many of them are sputtering, red-faced misogynerds is so upsetting. The most harmless fanbase I could have imagined ended up being this toxic, this hateful. What does this say about the souls of millions of other regular, middle of the road American white men? If guys who worshipped at the altar of an ironic, detached, smugly intelligent comedy were this vicious, what about their non-nerd co-workers? Maybe it's just my own prejudices showing, but I had always seen the Ghostbusters fanbase as the least nerdy of the fanbases, sharing (with Star Wars fans) the most overlap on the Venn diagram that depicted regular people and geeks.

Example 2 of lumping all fans into one from the article.

He doesn't care to split the community, because its easier to lump everyone together to fit the narrative of the article.

GAF has been a decent place to talk about this movie. The folks here that don't like it don't seem to have any kind of agenda for not liking it, which is nice to see.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So pleased with the good reviews. Enjoying the salt that these have generated.

Good reviews? Where exactly?

It has the same rottentomato score as Prometheus and a 67 on Metacritic. Middling reviews would be more accurate.

Star Trek Beyond has a 93% RT score right now and is GB's main competition this coming weekend, so I can't imagine how huge the drop for GB week 2 will be when it couldn't even manage #1 in it's first weekend.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
There are good reviews, though. And not everyone hated Prometheus.
That is true, Prometheus was a good film but wasn't Alien, but I don't think the same applies here as almost all reviews after release have been bad, it's just those early ones......weird that uh?

That is true, Prometheus was a good film but wasn't Alien, but I don't think the same applies here as almost all reviews after release have been bad, it's just those early ones......weird that uh?

shills!!!

Good reviews hit during and after release as well.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
GAF has been a decent place to talk about this movie. The folks here that don't like it don't seem to have any kind of agenda for not liking it, which is nice to see.
I honestly think most the negative discussions happening else where aren't even people being serious or caring about the movie. I honestly think most "haters" for any big pop culture thing are literally just trolls that have no investment in said property, but just want to stir stuff up for the lulz. I'd even go so far to say that a majority of them don't even mean the shit they say, but they say it anyway because it gets a reaction. I could be wrong there, but I'd rather have a sliver of hope that not everyone that acts like a douche bag online isn't that way in real life.

I honestly think most the discussions happening else where aren't even people being serious or caring about the movie. I honestly think most "haters" for any big pop culture thing are literally just trolls that have no investment in said property, but just want to stir stuff up for the lulz. I'd even go so far to say that a majority of them don't even mean the shit they say, but they say it anyway because it gets a reaction. I could be wrong there, but I'd rather have a sliver of hope that not everyone is a fucking douche bag online.

I'm entirely willing to believe this has merit.

I honestly think most the discussions happening else where aren't even people being serious or caring about the movie. I honestly think most "haters" for any big pop culture thing are literally just trolls that have no investment in said property, but just want to stir stuff up for the lulz. I'd even go so far to say that a majority of them don't even mean the shit they say, but they say it anyway because it gets a reaction. I could be wrong there, but I'd rather have a sliver of hope that not everyone is a fucking douche bag online.

Nah just go to the Ghostbusters reddit. It's a garbage zone.

People who like the movie are down voted.

Breitbart shit is up voted.

RedStep

Reddit is a terrible place in general. There's some good spots but it is definitely a hive mind inside some subreddit.

Not really - there are definitely pockets of awfulness (quite a few, in fact) but generally "fans" of a given topic can go to the sub and discuss it in peace. Even really weird shit is allowed its space. Even Console Warz stuff is squashed there, much more than here.

The fact that the GB sub is so full of vile garbage is a direct reflection on that fanbase, there's no getting around it. I disagree with how far Faraci takes it (if you live in CA you have to wear cargo shorts, it's hot as hell!), but his sentiment is correct.

I hated it, the jokes didn't work at all. I was genuinely looking forward to it too, I loved Spy. I'm really shocked at how high the RT score is.

Miles X

Not read this thread, don't want even an inkling of spoilers.

I do ask tho, I loved Bridesmaids and Spy (And the Heat, didn't know he did that), will I love this just as much?

Not read this thread, don't want even an inkling of spoilers.

I do ask tho, I loved Bridesmaids and Spy (And the Heat, didn't know he did that), will I love this just as much?

Maybe? At the very least I don't think you'll hate it. I like Bridesmaids (but enjoy Spy and definitely The Heat more), but GB didn't have any memorably funny scenes for me. There wasn't a scene like Kristen Wiig driving around trying to get Chris O Dowd's attention. There wasn't Melissa McCarthy having to stab Sandra Bullock again so the bad guys didn't know she was uncuffed. There was no hilarious Jason Statham sexual tension going on.

It was just a pleasant film, but easily my least favorite of Feig's thus far (not counting Unaccompanied Minors and that other one he did in the early 2000s, since I never saw them).

pompidu

Not really - there are definitely pockets of awfulness (quite a few, in fact) but generally "fans" of a given topic can go to the sub and discuss it in peace. Even really weird shit is allowed its space. Even Console Warz stuff is squashed there, much more than here.

The fact that the GB sub is so full of vile garbage is a direct reflection on that fanbase, there's no getting around it. I disagree with how far Faraci takes it (if you live in CA you have to wear cargo shorts, it's hot as hell!), but his sentiment is correct.

I highly doubt there was anyone actually in that subreddit before the new movie was announce so Of course they're gonna swarm in that subreddit when the movie was announced. They weren't fans to begin with.

I highly doubt there was anyone actually in that subreddit before the new movie was announce so Of course they're gonna swarm in that subreddit when the movie was announced. They weren't fans to begin with.

They have 5000 subscribers. Have been around for at least 3 years, likely more.

This is some hilarious no true scotsman.

jstripes

Banned
Ramis was a "behinds the scenes" guy, who was more known for directing movies than being in them. His most noteworthy thing out side of movies was being a cast member on SCTV (does anyone remember that?).

SCTV was the shit. I got hooked-on reruns of it when I was a kid.

Exodust

Banned
They have 5000 subscribers. Have been around for at least 3 years, likely more.

This us some hilarious no true scotsman.

Come on, not every fan who doesn't like the idea of a remake is a sexist or a misogynist. Neither is the majority since I assume they wouldn't care about that aspect as much either. 5000 subscribers doesn't make up the entirety of a fanbase going back to the eighties.

That is some hilarious generalization shit.

Prax

I thought it was decent. I thought the main cast was pretty likeable, and the jokes and air of awkwardness used as humour works well for me.

What made it even better was that there were a couple of little girls at my theatre who were very excited throughout the movie (they were like.. maybe 6-8 years old?) and started dancing when the Ghostbusters theme started kicking in. My theatre even had people clapping a bunch at the end. Overall, a fun movie.

I like it more than the original even! lol I hold no special love for the original, so there's that.

Come on, not every fan who doesn't like the idea of a remake is a sexist or a misogynist. Neither is the majority since I assume they wouldn't care about that aspect as much either. 5000 subscribers doesn't make up the entirety of a fanbase going back to the eighties.

I agree with the former. But the fans who are literally going to go on campaign to dislike a video and comment vocally and repeatedly on the internet is a far smaller subset of that group. And ignoring that they exist or their magnitude is not good.

Many fans, like the fans of Power Rangers, Transformers, Star Trek, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, etc. just said "I don't like this" and moved on.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Was not going into it thinking anything of an all-female cast. I'd rather a reboot be something fresh rather than a close remake. And I love all of those actresses for roles they've done in the past.

But the male lead's jokes stole the show. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

VZS5qAD.jpg

Exodust

Banned
I agree with the former. But the fans who are literally going to go on campaign to dislike a video and comment vocally and repeatedly on the internet is a far smaller subset of that group. And ignoring that they exist or their magnitude is not good.

Many fans, like the fans of Power Rangers, Transformers, Star Trek, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, etc. just said "I don't like this" and moved on.

I'm not saying to ignore their existence, all I'm saying is we shouldn't use their existence to paint a broader brush on the rest.

I'm not completely sure, but I'm willing to guess that quite a few disliked the video on their own fucked up principles and not on whether they enjoy the original Ghostbusters or not. Which is weird considering Ghostbusters was never a "manly" franchise and has scientists and schlubs as the protagonists.

That is some hilarious generalization shit.

And if I said literally any of that you'd have a brilliant point.

Alas I didn't.

I said they were a not insignificant part of the fanbase and pointed to the toxicity of the subreddit as evidence.

To which as a retort the argument was put forward that no one on the toxic subreddit of 5000 members were actually Ghostbusters fans. Which is some bullshit no true scotsman.

There absolutely is a toxic section of the fanbase and the amount of people continuously trying to downplay it and what they've done doesn't actually help the fanbase reputation.

Constantly crying not all ghostbusters fans when I go out of my way to specify I'm talking about a specific strain doesn't help anything.

Dalek

Alas I didn't.

I said they were a not insignificant part of the fanbase and pointed to the toxicity of the subreddit as evidence.

To which as a retort the argument was put forward that no one on the toxic subreddit of 5000 members were actually Ghostbusters fans. Which is some bullshit no true scotsman.

There absolutely is a toxic section of the fanbase and the amount of people continuously trying to downplay it and what they've done doesn't actually help the fanbase reputation.

Constantly crying not all ghostbusters fans when I go out of my way to specify I'm talking about a specific strain doesn't help anything.

#notallghostbros

Exodust

Banned

Alas I didn't.

Who's crying? I responded to the contents of your post as I read them. You want me to assume a lot out of your post while assuming your own out of what I said. You could have just as easily responded without having to resort to insults.

I never said there aren't "true Ghostbusters fans" who hate the remake for all the wrong reasons, maybe someone else did but that wasn't me. Of course there are, all I was arguing was that I doubt it makes up most of the fanbase. Which for whatever reason really bothers you.

And yes, of course some alt right idiots who were never really big fans of the original also join to voice their grievances. That insinuation isn't new and isn't surprising. How many people angry at Mad Max being "feminist propaganda" actually watched or care about the first movie? Not all. This is some dumb internet culture war and the vultures are going to go where they can be heard.

Who's crying? I responded to the contents of your post as I read them. You want me to assume a lot out of your post while assuming your own out of what I said. You could have just as easily responded without having to resort to insults.

I never said there aren't "true Ghostbusters fans" who hate the remake for all the wrong reasons, maybe someone else did but that wasn't me. Of course there are, all I was arguing was that I doubt it makes up most of the fanbase. Which for whatever reason really bothers you.

And yes, of course some alt right idiots who were never really big fans of the original also join to voice their grievances. That insinuation isn't new and isn't surprising. How many people angry at Mad Max being "feminist propaganda" actually watched or care about the first movie? Not all. This is some dumb internet culture war and the vultures are going to go where they can be heard.

The point I made about no true Ghostbusters fans was context I was giving you for the conversation that you jumped in on.

It began with me saying you can't ignore a 5000 people subreddit that is toxic as evidence that there is in fact a toxic segment of the fandom ,to which a retort was made that none of them are probably actually fans anyway. To which I replied bullshit. That's when you jumped in and somehow accused me of calling the entire famdom sexist...

You literally accused me of generalizing the whole fandom . Yet if you had went back literally one page you'd see that I specifically said a decent section of the fanbase as in I was specifically not generalizing. You didn't engage with my point or look up context at all. Crying here is a figure of speech because you literally went #notallghostbustersfans in response to me merely saying to someone else that yes the people on the toxic subreddit are in fact part of the fandom

There is absolutely nothing in what I said that even remotely implied all fans.

This is my point: I literally can't talk about the not insignificant toxic part of the fanbase (to which again that subreddit is absolutely a valid example of) Without someone from one place saying well they aren't fans at all anyway and someone from another saying how dare you generalize the whole fanbase.

You jumped into a conversation that only started a page back to accuse me of shit I didn't say and essentially downplay my point I was trying to make. Literally a page back man. I didn't insult you I was just very sarcastic because if you jump in the middle of a conversation and accuse me of shit I went out of my way not to do, that's about what you've earned.

And this is much bigger than Mad Max. Mad Max didn't have a heavily downvoted teaser trailer, Mad Max didn't end up wth the most downvoted video in youtube history. This wasn't just outsiders, this was insiders too that made it happen.

ZoddGutts

Jay from Red Letter Media sum it perfectly. "Months of months of people arguing online back and forth about this movie, was all in service of a completely forgettable bland remake. Congratulations internet, you wasted your time."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom