• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghosts of Tsushima or Paper Mario: Origami King?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Need help which to choose:

Paper Mario
PROS:
- portable
- great story/world/dialogue

CONS:
- shit battle
- TTYD is better

Ghosts of Tsushima
PROS:
- Heard it’s a better game
- Trophies (yea I’m a trophy hunter)

CONS:
- Expensive
- I got kinda bored Horizon: Zero Dawn

Also to put things to perspective, I’m also playing Tales of Legendia and soon Paper Mario: TTYD.

I have to go with the tired answer here and say,

Both.

Impossible to choose between the two, for me.

I say get ghost first as it would wrap up a bit sooner depending on how much trophy hunting you do.

Is paper Mario being sold for less than $60 because Switch games normally retail for $60 no? I bought GoT for $60 and it's an incredible game. So I'm not sure price should be the deciding factor here.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is paper Mario being sold for less than $60 because Switch games normally retail for $60 no? I bought GoT for $60 and it's an incredible game. So I'm not sure price should be the deciding factor here.

Paper Mario here is $50, GoT is $60 here.

wzy

Paper Mario will basically never go on sale. It's bad, but so is Tsushima so if price is any kind of factor you may as well get Mario now and Tsushima later.

Airbus Jr

Banned
We already know who the real origami killers couple years so you should pick (got) game of thrones

Last edited:

Dvidus

Paper Mario

I have still yet to see anything exciting about GoT. It looks like some generic action game that rips off Sekiro
Boy, that’s not true.

that’s like saying Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 rips off Bloodborne.

Last edited:

rubhen925

LOL at Ghost of Tsushima being expensive. Both Ghost and Paper Mario cost the same price. Like there's no logic there.

Either way get Ghost. Game is pretty awesome overall. I got tired of Paper Mario's combat system. Normal enemy fights are repetitive. Boss fights are good tho

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I got both and really liking both.

Boggles my mind adults seeing appeal in Mario in 2020, just can't understand.
People keep saying this, how being 2020 has anything to do with people liking Mario games?

I have still yet to see anything exciting about GoT. It looks like some generic action game that rips off Sekiro
Please explain to me what part it rips off Sekiro?

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
TTYD definitely had its shortcomings too, let's not forget

I don't consider scores a viable way to measure the greatness of a game though if that is how you're coming to that conclusion? I think the only thing that matters is your opinion of it, the rest is simply guidelines to see if you're willing to spend the money and spend x amount of time dedicated to playing

I think I'm about to pull the trigger and buy it tonight actually. This is going to be amazing for me personally, it definitely looks better than Super Paper Mario and I can almost guarantee that it is...How it got an 88 on Metacritic is beyond me. I would give it no more than a 72/100 at best. But Paper Mario: The Origami King, for me, it's a no brainer I'm definitely going to play it. Yoshi's Story got like a 65/100 on Metacritic but that's a dope fucking game

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Paper Mario

Ghost of Tsushima is amazing and I haven't gotten bored with it at all

It's also not even trying to be Sekiro, these are two totally different games and I'm glad they are

JimiNutz

Banned
You listed that you got bored with H:ZD as a negative for GoT - I did too to the point that I quit half way through and never went back.

Granted I haven't finished it yet but Ghost of Tsushima is, so far, better than H:ZD. That leaves it being 'expensive' as the only negative (and it's no more expensive than Paper Mario and offers a longer play time).

You must pick Tsushima as there are now no negatives (based on the negatives you listed anyway).

Mario. Better than some cringe ass gaijin shit.
738933.jpg

Cutty Flam

Banned
brap brap she looks like pennywise the clown waiting in line at Hotdog On A Stick after a 72 hour Sonic LAN party marathon

looks like she mixed the tarter sauce she found on a fish filet from a garbage bin with her makeup powder and had a monkey at the zoo apply it

no she look like the end result of a piece of rawhide after a racoon and an opossum had a vicious battle over, in the moonlight, on a brick wall

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
The two games are so different form each other it's pretty easy to decide based on whatever floats your boat. Readig your pros and cons it's very obvious to me you'll enjoy Paper Mario more. I'm the opposite.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Need help which to choose:

Paper Mario
PROS:
- portable
- great story/world/dialogue

CONS:
- shit battle
- TTYD is better

Ghosts of Tsushima
PROS:
- Heard it’s a better game
- Trophies (yea I’m a trophy hunter)

CONS:
- Expensive
- I got kinda bored Horizon: Zero Dawn

Also to put things to perspective, I’m also playing Tales of Legendia and soon Paper Mario: TTYD.
I think Paper Mario is better

MrA

I'd say if your in between the 2, go with paper Mario as it will be full price untill the end of time, ghosts of tsushima will 1/3 off in a few weeks and 2/3 in a few months,,

ULTROS!

Yeah I got Paper Mario guys. Thanks for the opinions! Generally my gaming profile is a heavily leaning Japanese games gamer. I’ve also enjoyed Luigi’s Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, and Link’s Awakening lately.

Fortunately I can borrow Ghosts of Tsushima.

kevm3

Ghosts of Tsushima. Saying it's a rip off of Assassin's Creed or Tsushima is a lie, unless being an open world game and set in a Feudal Japan setting is enough to classify it as a rip-off.

Bodomism

Banned
Yeah I got Paper Mario guys. Thanks for the opinions! Generally my gaming profile is a heavily leaning Japanese games gamer. I’ve also enjoyed Luigi’s Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, and Link’s Awakening lately.

Fortunately I can borrow Ghosts of Tsushima.
You don't have to worry Sony 1st party price on holiday is cheap as hell. GOW, HZD, Spidey, UC4 and etc were sold like $5 or free lol.

Codes 208

Do you like apples or oranges?
Paper Mario will be $60 forever, so get that now and get Ghosts when it’s on sale.
ironically it’s actually cheaper depending where you go. Walmart (in-store) sells most games $10 off compared to their usual msrp.

the only exclusion is Sony exclusives. So PM is $50 while GoT is $60

zeT0dBj.jpg

kWAsnaR.jpg

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Paper Marioooo if ur in a not so serious mood. Nice art style to boot. If u want something more realistic and serious/epic, get Ghosts. Different games for different moods.

Saruhashi

Banned
Boggles my mind adults seeing appeal in Mario in 2020, just can't understand.

Honestly, I would say it comes down to so many games taking themselves way too seriously. Sometimes it's good to sit down with a basic platformer or something that isn't hitting you over the head with politics or attempts at "deep" story telling.

Its been this way since people preferred Mortal Kombat over Street Fighter 2 because SF2 was "too cartoony".

Online gaming communities seem to be full of desperate kids who want to show how grown up they are by playing violent games and insecure adults who want to keep up the appearance of only being into serious and "gritty" content.

At the heart of it, if people are into games then there is some appeal in something that is just trying to be fun and not a brown and grey "dark" world with violent "crunching" combat.

Go to the outpost and murder the enemies. Now do that again. Now here's a very very serious and darkly lit cutscene. Now kill some more enemies. What if people aren't in the mood for that?

Both games have their own merits. They aren't really comparable in a lot of ways. Just depends on what the OP feels like playing.

Top Bottom