• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GhostWire Tokyo: Every Creepy Urban Legend and Myth Explored

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
8006_ghostwire_3.jpg

Pretty good breakdown of the symbolism in a game we otherwise don't know very much about.

GhostWire: Tokyo is an upcoming action/adventure game from Tango Gameworks, the developers behind The Evil Within series. Spearheaded by Shinji Mikami, best known for directing The Evil Within, Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, and other classics, and directed by Mikami's apprentice Ikumi Nakamura (the lead art designer for The Evil Within and concept artist for Bayonetta), the game appears to draw heavily on Japanese urban legends and mythology. While the story of the game remains somewhat of a mystery, we took to exploring the various urban legends and myths that will be in the title, going by the reveal trailer.
First and foremost, after doing some digging, we discovered that Buddhism plays a large role in several of these legends that our bow-wielding protagonist will combat.

---

There's quite a lot more at the link, and it would be kind of crass to just copypaste the rest here.

I haven't yet played Evil Within because I tend to shy away from horror games, but this brand of horror is right up my alley.

Here's the teaser trailer for those who missed or forgot it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I love seeing the religious overtones without actually being religious. Much like the Buddha in Sekiro.

The Evil Within series is a solid set of games. Going from setting bodies on fire after being in a mental institution to feeling like you’re in the suburbs of some Lawnmower Man type of universe is actually quite enjoyable. I’m looking forward to what they have planned next.

Top Bottom