• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI: Disney Infinity 3.0 (Avalanche/Ninja Theory/Sumo/Gobo/United Front, Star Wars)

My little girl was sad there were no female playsets beyond brave .

We brought alladin, no playset . Tinker bell , frozen and all only usable in a boring toy box.

To top it off what u can build is locked away behind buying pieces with ingame currency .

So many annoying decisions which killed its longevity .

curb

Banned
I just hope all can be on the Ultron set. Also, DI needs to step up since LEGO Dimensions is fixing the shared universe thing.

Well, the Marvel set seems tied to the MCU Ultron so having Vision playable in that playset seems very likely to me. You're right about competing with LEGO too - DI can't rely solely on the strength of brand recognition in the long term. They need to bring the game too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They're never going to push for any older Disney stuff in here, are they? Even as one off things. Mickey's about as close as we're ever going to get.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They're never going to push for any older Disney stuff in here, are they? Even as one off things. Mickey's about as close as we're ever going to get.
?

There's always a bunch of one-off figures with every release, with the majority always being Disney Originals, or "old" Disney stuff.

curb

Banned
I've been reading the Game Informer article and the stuff about the tweaks to the combat is making me cautiously optimistic.

jesu

My little girl was sad there were no female playsets beyond brave .

We brought alladin, no playset . Tinker bell , frozen and all only usable in a boring toy box.

To top it off what u can build is locked away behind buying pieces with ingame currency .

So many annoying decisions which killed its longevity .

There a female in each of Toy Story, The Incredibles, Cars, The Avengers and Guardians Of The Galaxy.
They also unlock parts for the Toy Box.
And if you play the main game for her you'll earn plenty of currency for her to spend.

You know back when I wanted Mulan in 1.0 or 2.0 I never even thought of
dbxOQG2nUN0qs.gif

as a possible costume and pose choice, yet they literally picked the best possible.
Had wanted the armor costume till I saw what they went with.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Q&A live stream archive here. Seems like this is a new weekly thing they're gonna do to slowly reveal stuff about the game. Some juicy info in here, highlights:

- Reiterates every character will have crossover coins (or the 3.0 equivalent) in ever playset
- You can drive AT-STs, AT-ATs, Millenium Falcon, X-Wings, Y-Wings, A-Wings, Speeder Bikes, Landspeeders, and more
- Mickey summons his friends for his attacks such as Goofy and Pluto to fight for him, Minnie uses her purse
- No plans for 1.0 characters to get upgrades right now
- Teases the 3.0 Ultimate Unlock a bit
- Q: "Exactly how deep is Disney's bench bro?"
- 21:00 - they show off some of the packaging, including that of the Star Wars characters (red backing), in the process hints that there are still more Star Wars characters to reveal
- 22:30 - "We'll be announcing more playsets and characters in the coming months"
- No plans for four legged or swimming characters at the moment in 3.0, once they can do it well they will do it
- Making playsets forward-compatible is difficult & always on their mind but it takes away resources from making new playsets, no plans as of yet
- 32:40 impromptu wipe me down singing lmao
- Still 4 player online MP for Toy Box, 2 player for play sets
- Toy Box Expansion Games are structured gameplay content.
- Toy Box Speedway is developed by Sumo with tracks themed to different properties, inspired by MK64, vehicles can be any power discs + new vehicles, more at E3
- Toy Box Hub sounds like a replacement for the 2.0 tutorial
- Townspeople can't be used as sidekicks.
- Digital version confirmed
- 51:00 - some specifics on how bases can or can't be used across gens, platforms families
- No non-Star Wars starter pack, only the Star Wars one because consumer confusion with 2.0
- Collectors Edition hinted at
- 3.0 on mobile will be it's own app
- Haven't announced what United Front is working on yet (maybe a new playset?)

There a female in each of Toy Story, The Incredibles, Cars, The Avengers and Guardians Of The Galaxy.
They also unlock parts for the Toy Box.
And if you play the main game for her you'll earn plenty of currency for her to spend.

Incredibles, monsters , cars all Disney 1.0, why were they not compatible, who knows.

Guardians whilst it has a girl is not really the princess stuff she was after. Why didn't they make an alladin play set or a frozen play set, that stuff would print money.

My point is, too much shit locked away or not compatible for no reason. Too many figurines only usable in a boring toy box mode, and yes I could build levels on par with a play set story, but I don't have time for that, seemingly most people don't as the only community has very little good maps.

Nudull

Banned
Having worked at a store during the last holiday season, I can vouch for the customer confusion over the two starter sets from 2.0. A shame for people wanting a cheaper alternative, though.

curb

Banned
Game Informer is posting regular updates from their coverage. Today they posted a video about why Clone Wars over the Original Trilogy as the starter. In case anyone interested in 3.0 are wondering, it's because it's a kids and family game. Vignocchi specifically cites that their target age group is aged 6-12, in case anyone here is really excited about 3.0 but haven't gotten into Infinity before - you should know what you're getting into.

That being said, the video has some new Star Wars gameplay. The on-foot combat looks decent and the space stuff looks like fun. My only personal gripe that remains is that they have both of Ahsoka's lightsabers the same length.

Jawmuncher

Q&A live stream archive here. Seems like this is a new weekly thing they're gonna do to slowly reveal stuff about the game. Some juicy info in here, highlights:

- Reiterates every character will have crossover coins (or the 3.0 equivalent) in ever playset
- You can drive AT-STs, AT-ATs, Millenium Falcon, X-Wings, Y-Wings, A-Wings, Speeder Bikes, Landspeeders, and more
- Mickey summons his friends for his attacks such as Goofy and Pluto to fight for him, Minnie uses her purse
- No plans for 1.0 characters to get upgrades right now
- Teases the 3.0 Ultimate Unlock a bit
- Q: "Exactly how deep is Disney's bench bro?"
- 21:00 - they show off some of the packaging, including that of the Star Wars characters (red backing), in the process hints that there are still more Star Wars characters to reveal
- 22:30 - "We'll be announcing more playsets and characters in the coming months"
- No plans for four legged or swimming characters at the moment in 3.0, once they can do it well they will do it
- Making playsets forward-compatible is difficult & always on their mind but it takes away resources from making new playsets, no plans as of yet
- 32:40 impromptu wipe me down singing lmao
- Still 4 player online MP for Toy Box, 2 player for play sets
- Toy Box Expansion Games are structured gameplay content.
- Toy Box Speedway is developed by Sumo with tracks themed to different properties, inspired by MK64, vehicles can be any power discs + new vehicles, more at E3
- Toy Box Hub sounds like a replacement for the 2.0 tutorial
- Townspeople can't be used as sidekicks.
- Digital version confirmed
- 51:00 - some specifics on how bases can or can't be used across gens, platforms families
- No non-Star Wars starter pack, only the Star Wars one because consumer confusion with 2.0
- Collectors Edition hinted at
- 3.0 on mobile will be it's own app
- Haven't announced what United Front is working on yet (maybe a new playset?)

More Playsets. Give me Clu and Rinzler for a tron set and i'm there disney.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Game Informer is posting regular updates from their coverage. Today they posted a video about why Clone Wars over the Original Trilogy as the starter. In case anyone interested in 3.0 are wondering, it's because it's a kids and family game. Vignocchi specifically cites that their target age group is aged 6-12, in case anyone here is really excited about 3.0 but haven't gotten into Infinity before - you should know what you're getting into.

That being said, the video has some new Star Wars gameplay. The on-foot combat looks decent and the space stuff looks like fun. My only personal gripe that remains is that they have both of Ahsoka's lightsabers the same length.
Both of Ahsoka's lightsabers aren't supposed to be the same length? I just finished all of The Clone Wars and don't remember any mention (or exposition) of them being different.

Anyways the gameplay looks great.

curb

Banned
Both of Ahsoka's lightsabers aren't supposed to be the same length? I just finished all of The Clone Wars and don't remember any mention (or exposition) of them being different.

It's one of those things most people never notice. I only noticed because I came across it on some wiki entry. Her second saber is shorter and yellow. The color difference is fairly subtle on screen though.

Quick image Google search shows that they are different lenght and color.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Speedway preview is up.

Sold separately is kind of a bummer since Infinity needs all the value it can get. Seems like it will appeal to a lot of different Disney IPs though.

It's one of those things most people never notice. I only noticed because I came across it on some wiki entry. Her second saber is shorter and yellow. The color difference is fairly subtle on screen though.
The more you know. With how similar they look, it's kind of weird there even is a difference.

curb

Banned
The more you know. With how similar they look, it's kind of weird there even is a difference.

It's so subtle that it makes me wonder why they bothered. Nearly two full watch-throughs of the series and I hadn't noticed.

Speedway stuff looks good. It really should be a part of the base package though - or at least a sampling from it.

mreddie

"Star Wars, modern and classic Disney."

No Marvel villains?

Neither Speedway nor Toy Box Takeover is something the average player would be able to create with Disney Infinity’s creation tools, and they will be available separately from the main game. They will both be sold as separate discs, but you will need a 3.0 starter set in order to play.

Dammit, so I assume they won't be separate until 3 months after?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bit on how Ninja Theory contributed to the Clone Wars is up:

Combat in Disney Infinity and its follow-up, 2.0, was simple by design. The game is, after all, geared towards younger players and their families. Avalanche didn’t want to use that as a crutch for boring combat, however, so it sought out Ninja Theory, a studio with a history of combat-heavy action games that recently saw a great deal of success with its Devil May Cry reboot. They were tasked to help improve Infinity across the board – not just for Star Wars.

As early as six months before the completion of 2.0, Ninja Theory was working on lightsaber combat. And it goes much deeper than just crafting new animations and combos for Star Wars’ iconic weapon. “One of the first things we did was to look at what was creating the lag from a technical standpoint, and we had coders looking into it and trying to cut it where we could,” Ninja Theory tells us. “We made sure the animations start immediately, so when you press a button there is already movement and gives you that feeling of responsiveness.”

We saw characters like Luke Skywalker (who can use both a blaster and a lightsaber) juggling enemies in the air like Dante. Pausing mid-combo and holding down buttons will also branch your attack off in different combo directions, and the characters with control over the Force can push and pull enemies in an impressive show of force.

A smart example of lessons learned form Devil May Cry comes from Anakin’s special attack, where he uses the force to craft a giant ball of loose trash in the air and brings it crashing down on his enemies. In the past, this would have been a passive attack with players waiting while Anakin gathered and released his attack watching a dedicated animation. Now, players are in full control and can release the attack early, even if the ball of Force-powered trash hasn’t reached its full potential. It’s a good example of how the action is always in the players’ control, even in the middle of special attacks.

"There’s lots more variety. You’re not just battling wave after wave of frost giants.”

Damn, I didn't expect the combat to get even that deep but that sounds awesome. 3.0 sounding like pretty much everything the franchise needs TBH.

curb

Banned
I'm reading the GI piece on Ninja Theory and the lightsaber and I realized something that irks me. In the previous feature video about Clone Wars vs Original Trilogy for the starter pack they showed some of the combat. It takes a few saber hits to take out a basic battle droid. Maybe it's just me but for that basic enemy, they should go down in one hit from a lightsaber since you should be able to cut through them like a knife through hot butter. Adjust expectations accordingly...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
May 14th Update on Toy Box Improvements.

toyboxhub514.jpg

Some stuff on the path tool:
The concept is simple: Players draw a path, dot by dot, in their world. As each dot is added, the path attaches to those behind it. When it’s finished, creators can use it as an A.I. path. It sounds simple (and conceptually it is), but it has some big implications for the series. Players can use it to create actual paths for A.I. drivers to navigate, or to create rail shooters. Before, user-created cutscenes were a simple back-and-forth affair. "It can feel kind of static sometimes, " says Jose Abalos, one of Avalanche’s community hires. Now, the camera can swoop by on a path, adding a cinematic flair. It can also be locked onto a 2D plane, allowing for actual side-scrolling platform games.

Not much new in today's update.

I'm reading the GI piece on Ninja Theory and the lightsaber and I realized something that irks me. In the previous feature video about Clone Wars vs Original Trilogy for the starter pack they showed some of the combat. It takes a few saber hits to take out a basic battle droid. Maybe it's just me but for that basic enemy, they should go down in one hit from a lightsaber since you should be able to cut through them like a knife through hot butter. Adjust expectations accordingly...
Most Star Wars games in general have enemies taking multiple hits from lightsabers anyways. It's a mechanic concession you have to make or you're pretty omnipotent and it's hold one button to deflect every shot as you get closer to an enemy to OHKO, and then repeat. Because all the interesting stuff the Jedi do is using their cunning to manipulate their environments in complex/really specific (read: expensive to produce) ways to evade and trap. And that's not even fun in those games with blaster deflection really. I'm totally fine with a more ARPG approach.

curb

Banned
Most Star Wars games in general have enemies taking multiple hits from lightsabers anyways. It's a mechanic concession you have to make or you're pretty omnipotent and it's hold one button to deflect every shot as you get closer to an enemy to OHKO, and then repeat. Because all the interesting stuff the Jedi do is using their cunning to manipulate their environments in complex/really specific (read: expensive to produce) ways to evade and trap. And that's not even fun in those games with blaster deflection really. I'm totally fine with a more ARPG approach.

I've always found that it's a gameplay concession that is really negates what's unique and special about that weapon. Obviously I'm just playing armchair game designer but to me a single Battle Droid should go down effortlessly when hit by a lightsaber but as in the movies, it's the volume of enemies (and their guns) that are the danger. Unfortunately DI is cross gen still so they can't go all out with enemy numbers so I begrudgingly admit that they're probably doing the best with what they have to work with. .

I've always found that it's a gameplay concession that is really negates what's unique and special about that weapon. Obviously I'm just playing armchair game designer but to me a single Battle Droid should go down effortlessly when hit by a lightsaber but as in the movies, it's the volume of enemies (and their guns) that are the danger. Unfortunately DI is cross gen still so they can't go all out with enemy numbers so I begrudgingly admit that they're probably doing the best with what they have to work with. .

For all we know, the 'skill tree' mechanic from the previous game(s) may allow for more powerful attacks as you level up, resulting in being able to take out the simple enemies with one swipe. I'm more concerned with how they handle saber duels, that should be at the top of the priority list. And, hopefully each character has their own style reminiscent of the movies( Vader shouldn't be flipping all over the screen like Maul, etc)....

curb

Banned
For all we know, the 'skill tree' mechanic from the previous game(s) may allow for more powerful attacks as you level up, resulting in being able to take out the simple enemies with one swipe. I'm more concerned with how they handle saber duels, that should be at the top of the priority list. And, hopefully each character has their own style reminiscent of the movies( Vader shouldn't be flipping all over the screen like Maul, etc)....

I can't remember if there are skills in 2.0 that raise basic melee attack damage but it's certainly possible. I'm certainly not expecting a dedicated Star Wars game out of this and everyone had their own idea of what makes an "authentic" SW experience but lightsaber combat is always something important to me.

I can't remember if there are skills in 2.0 that raise basic melee attack damage but it's certainly possible. I'm certainly not expecting a dedicated Star Wars game out of this and everyone had their own idea of what makes an "authentic" SW experience but lightsaber combat is always something important to me.

Yeah, as far as this game goes its best to go in with tempered expectations, it is afterall more a 'kids' game than something geared to the older crowd. That said, the dialogue above about 'devil may cry' style air juggling gives a sliver of hope that they realize the saber combat may make or break the game for many people, and trying to appeal to all the adult star wars fans with the cash to buy tons of figures.

Mego Thor

Neo Member

Thor's skill tree has melee damage power ups. So, they do exist.

curb

Banned
Yeah, as far as this game goes its best to go in with tempered expectations, it is afterall more a 'kids' game than something geared to the older crowd. That said, the dialogue above about 'devil may cry' style air juggling gives a sliver of hope that they realize the saber combat may make or break the game for many people, and trying to appeal to all the adult star wars fans with the cash to buy tons of figures.

Yeah, I'm in for the characters/properties I like - just like 2.0. If the combat is better than 2.0 then that'll just be a nice surprise.

Thor's skill tree has melee damage power ups. So, they do exist.

Oh good. It's been a while since I've really fiddled with it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Star Wars combat gameplay. GI reads GAF confirmed.

This looks fucking awesome. Lots of enemies at once, lots of style (reminds me of Force Unleashed in that way too).

I don't think volume necessarily is that big of an issue technically, especially if you try some Toy Box games people make, but gameplay wise it causes it's own problems. Either you have it like some super unrewarding Dynasty Warriors style battles or you have to really think about crowd AI and crowd control strategy becoming an integral part of combat. Force Unleashed got closest but it was never always quite there.

Oh good. It's been a while since I've really fiddled with it.
Almost every character's left skill tree branch ups melee damage.

curb

Banned
Star Wars combat gameplay. GI reads GAF confirmed.

This looks fucking awesome. Lots of enemies at once, lots of style (reminds me of Force Unleashed in that way too).

That looks surprisingly promising. Alleviates some of my... "concerns" is too strong of a word but things I was wondering about.

Looks way better than just mindlessly mashing buttons to kill the same three Frost Giants over and over again.

Edit: watched it again. I really like the little lightsaber flourish animations after certain moves. Nice touch. Dammit, now I'm going to have to get that Obi-Wan too.

That looks surprisingly promising. Alleviates some of my... "concerns" is too strong of a word but things I was wondering about.

Looks way better than just mindlessly mashing buttons to kill the same three Frost Giants over and over again.

Edit: watched it again. I really like the little lightsaber flourish animations after certain moves. Nice touch. Dammit, now I'm going to have to get that Obi-Wan too.

See, fears alleviated lol( crosses fingers). Looks real promising, Disney's gonna have all my damn money with this one....

How can you watch gameinformer videos? It says content not available to me.

Neoxon

Two updates today!

Space flying Gameplay. That's pretty cool that you can dock on planetoids as well as planets. Sounds much more expansive than, say, the GotG playset. Also Mos Eisley confirmed.

Long interview with John Vignocchi about the future of Disney Infinity. John kind of shooting down the idea that they're done with licensed standalone games at Disney.
So as I've been saying, there's hope for MvC4 yet. Please Capcom, get your financial shit together.

On-topic, loving the more expansive nature of the Star Wars playset. It's pretty much what I was hoping the GotG playset would be.

Two updates today!

Space flying Gameplay. That's pretty cool that you can dock on planetoids as well as planets. Sounds much more expansive than, say, the GotG playset. Also Mos Eisley confirmed.

Long interview with John Vignocchi about the future of Disney Infinity. John kind of shooting down the idea that they're done with licensed standalone games at Disney.

That looks really good. Shades of Mario Galaxy with some of that on-foot in space stuff, hopefully people can create stuff a quarter as good as Mario Galaxy in the Toy Box.

Top Bottom