• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams has sold over 1 million copies

The modern remake of the 80s classic Giana Sisters was started out as a Kickstarter campaign before being released on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and WiiU in 2013.

“One million copies sold absolutely qualifies Giana Sisters as an indie hit – and yet it took a Kickstarter campaign to be able to develop the game,” said Black Forest Games’s managing director Andreas Speer.

“It wouldn’t have been possible in the classic way through publisher financing. It is only thanks to the dedication of our 6,000 backers that one million gamers (and counting) got the chance to play.”

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/14/giana-sisters-twisted-dreams-has-sold-over-1-million-copies/

Meohsix

I played the first two levels then uninstalled it. Just didn't like it, and i'm a huge fan of Mario/platformers.

Kuroyume

Banned
Began playing it last week and completed the first 4 levels or so... Pretty good game. Love the music and art design.

Durante

“It wouldn’t have been possible in the classic way through publisher financing. It is only thanks to the dedication of our 6,000 backers that one million gamers (and counting) got the chance to play.”

As one of those backers I guess I get to feel smug now. Even more so considering that I also made the GAF thread about the KS :p

I really don't get what the appeal of this one was. Played the first two levels or so, and it just looked miserable. Visuals were a candy-colored mess, the controls felt floaty & awkward, and it just felt like a chore. Good for people with nostalgia I suppose, but otherwise - no.

there is no nostalgia, nobody care much for the original game. it was just a straight mario rip off afterall. the re imagining is however a very fun interesting game with great music and a unique concept.

GulAtiCa

I'm 1 of those million. Though I've yet to play it... Got it on sale on Wii U a few months back. my backlog is way too long. Need to start trimming that down.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Undeserved. Some of the most uninteresting level design I've ever seen, horrible boss fights, and hopelessly generic in every possible way.

213372bu

Banned
Undeserved. Some of the most uninteresting level design I've ever seen, horrible boss fights, and hopelessly generic in every possible way.

Totally agreed, got to play a bit on my friend's Steam account while he was away, didn't like what I played of it.

Funny, didn't this series start out as a really blatant Super Mario Bros. clone?

That's pretty much all I know about it, though. Has it created more of an identity for itself since the NES days?

213372bu

Banned
Funny, didn't this series start out as a really blatant Super Mario Bros. clone?

That's pretty much all I know about it, though. Has it created more of an identity for itself since the NES days?

This new one has tried to change it up by making the world a bit more dynamic as you play, but the level design was pretty bad and I felt disappointed by the time I called it quits.

daydream

Banned
Good to hear. Was seriously surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Never was a fan of the C64 original or the DS remake.

CO_Andy

Played Giana DS thru an emulator last week on my HDTV and had a blast.

Still haven't touched the PC sequel despite donating $100 to the campaign. Glad to see the series is performing well.

Bog

Junior Ace
Played Giana DS thru an emulator last week on my HDTV and had a blast.

Still haven't touched the PC sequel despite donating $100 to the campaign. Glad to see the series is performing well.

Why didn't you buy it on DS? It's still available.

Sciz

I'll second that. One of the few games I've ever stopped playing for being just plain dull. Within the first world there's maybe one level's worth of good ideas for the world shifting, and they're stretched out and repeated like crazy.

Silky

Banned
Yeaaaahhh this game had shitty level design, despite the nice soundtrack and graphics.

Congrats to the team tho

sprinkles

I loved every minute of the game, what a trip down memory lane. Looks very good too (approaching Trine 2 levels), but eff that final boss fight.

bigace33

I got for like $1. Any more and I would be hugely disappointed. I can't even get past the first level. I'm just not a huge fan of hard games. Production values are nice though.

I thought the game was pretty phenomenal actually and very challenging indeed. Must have for platformer fans don't be fooled by the colourful graphics lots of skill will be needed to complete this.

Bigdrbingo

Neo Member
Wow, I would have never expected this game to sell over a million, I'm impressed. I got it in a Humble Bundle recently but haven't tried it out yet, I guess I'm gonna have to go ahead and try it to see what all the success is about!

kswiston

With how many indie platformers, sims, and other niche genres we have seen break 500k+ sales (even if some are from bundles), I am surprised JRPGs are so slow to get on the bandwagon. I'd have to imagine that someone like Vanillaware would be better off selling 500k+ copies on PC for $5-20 a pop than they would be selling 20-40% of that on consoles or handhelds. Their share on a $40 vita title isn't going to be much more than $10.

notBald

This was my first kickstarer and I was impressed by how quickly they put this game together and got it out.

I preferred the artwork they had when they first pitched this, but that's my only real complaint. To complain more: The music lacked the charm of the original, and the graphics aren't quite up to games like Trine 2.

As for the game, it's a competent title but it didn't hold my attention for long. I rank it above the Duck Tales remake, but bellow New Super Mario Bross.

kswiston

Surprised at all the hate in here.

It's a NeoGAF thread about a game doing well financially. All of those have some detractors.

Regardless of the quality of this or similar titles, every indie that hits it big is good news. We don't need a game industry that is entirely made up of big publisher blockbuster sequels. Self financed games doing well just ensures more variety, which is a good thing even if you mainly enjoy big publisher blockbuster sequels.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Surprised at all the hate in here.

It's not a great game, and a lot of people don't like platformers enough to put up with the games that aren't at the top tier. I don't regret my purchase at all (though, to be fair, I have no idea when I bought it or at what price...god dammit Steam...) but I put it in with 2D platformers that are enjoyable mostly for aesthetic reasons. I like the art and music, and that's often enough to get me through a platformer even if the gameplay isn't incredible. I think of Hell Yeah! in similar terms and I usually see people talking negatively about that too.

Spent a lot of time playing the C64 original. I only started playing Twisted Dreams a week ago and was surprised at how good some of the levels and gameplay mechanics were. I'm not too fond of the design, it all looks a bit unpolished and weird, in an amateur sort of way (an owl turns into a demon etc.) but the level designs are actually pretty fun. The game starts a bit slow and you get to the more interesting levels later on. Difficulty ballance is also kind of all over the place, certain levels have frustratingly difficult segments and the boss fights are an excersize in patience. I actually got to the final boss and ragequit after a dozen attempts. It's not just that it can be difficult, but you may have to wait and dodge for a full minute or two until you can actually damage the boss.
The OST is pretty great but then again I'm a fan of Chris Hülsbeck and Machinae Supremacy's earlier stuff.

I'm glad it sold well, it's a good platformer, all things considered.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Congratulations to Black Forest!

The game is beautiful and I love the music! Also, some of the best 2D (or 2.5D) backgrounds in a contemporary game. I really hope this means BF will follow up with a sequel.

Top Bottom