• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #8 | It's a Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
gb8otx2sc4.gif

Welcome to the official Giant Bomb NeoGAF thread, brother!

Homepage
Live Show Page

E3 2014 Thread
Thread #7

Giant Bomb is a website about video games. Once described by the site's Editor-In-Chief as "insightful but funny video game coverage", GB is that and so much more, covering all angles of the video game industry and community - whether you're looking for considered, intelligent discussion about the nature of games development, or just a bunch of guys sat on a sofa making fun of a ridiculous simulator from the depths of Steam Early access, there's something for you here. On top of that, there's a range of subscriber content: if you like what you see, there's way more where that came from behind the reasonable paywall.

Giant Bomb is well into its seventh year of existence and counting. Since its humble beginnings in a Sausalito basement, with just 4 duders and a surprisingly resourceful "t-shirt guy", the site has blown up in a big way, now taking over the entirety of the United States (by which I mean San Francisco, New York City and Chicago). With mysterious new hires on the way, and hot off of having its most successful E3 to date, Giant Bomb can only get even more giant.

EmCee's Rules For Being A Valued Thread Contributor

Don't be a jerk.
A self-explanatory rule, but an important one nonetheless. People who disagree with you are not "insane." They are not "pathetic." They are not "a dick." Even if you think they're wrong about something, there's no reason to treat them with disrespect.

If someone is posting something that terrible or offensive that you really feel the need to respond strongly? Either keep it clean or report it to a moderator and one or more mods will decide what to do. Y'all are rather good about not needing mod intervention, so I can trust that will rarely ever happen.

Remember that the Giant Bomb staff are posters and read this thread.
Please try to remember that Jeff, Brad, Patrick, and Vinny are posters here. While that doesn't mean you can't criticize or disagree with anything they say or do (more on that below), it does mean that you should treat them like any other NeoGAF user: with the same respect as outlined above. While commentary on a on-screen personality's attitude or performance in games is expected, try to remember that they're reading the things you write, and that it impacts whether and how they'll respond here.

As examples:

"Brad seemed to be wrong there. He didn't understand that you had to junction the bafmodad in order to hyperjump even when the prompt told him to." This is fine.
"Brad is so hardheaded and terrible at games lol" This isn't necessarily rulebreaking, but it doesn't really add to anything, especially if the page is already filled with similar comments.
"Jeff seemed to be in a bad mood today. Wouldn't want to get on his bad side!" Sure, fine.
"Jeff seemed to be a jaded husk of a man today. After going through his Twitter timeline and Facebook photos, and crossreferencing with the DSM-5, I'm fairly certain I can diagnose Jeff and recommend some lifestyle changes." This is really creepy and overly personal!
"I find myself disagreeing with a lot of what Patrick writes." Patrick doesn't write articles just for people to agree with him!
"Patrick is such a shit writer. I hope he stays in Chicago, the Bombcast is better if he's gone." Wow, you're a real jerk!

This is not the Giant Bomb Secret Clubhouse.
Giant Bomb is a unique site. It covers games in a way that a lot of other sites don't. That's why we love them! So it's to be expected that a passionate and dedicated community would spring up here. Hooray for Giant Bomb!

That said, it's still a thread on NeoGAF, and not everyone will have the same tastes as you, especially if something is unique. If someone comes in and doesn't "quite get" what Giant Bomb is about or why they do the things they do, please be courteous in responding to them. Don't just drive them away by being bossy or getting up in their face about it.

This also, in general, applies to anyone (new or old) who merely has a criticism or differing opinion on what Giant Bomb's doing or saying. If someone notes that a Quick Look or UPF wasn't great for whatever reason, don't accuse them of being fanboys for the game(s) in question or get overly defensive of Giant Bomb. When a person thinks a video might have been more entertaining if the staff knew more about the game, don't trot out ridiculous false dichotomies like "Oh, so you think they shouldn't have fun, they should be thrown in jail for 20 years because they don't play like soulless TAS robots, huh!?!?!?" This doesn't contribute to the conversation at all. Trying to be passive-aggressive about it by airing complaints about "some people in this thread" isn't any different, it just makes you look condescending and overdefensive.

There were a few other topics I considered bringing up, like pirating subscriber content or going off-topic for 500 pages about a Polygon editor picking his nose on Twitter, but the first never happens and the second is something that only happens on another forum's Giant Bomb thread.

To be clear, there's very rarely occasion for direct mod intervention in this thread, and I'm sure a lot of these rules are obvious to y'all. Just try and remember the first rule and I'm sure you'll all be fine. This isn't an occupation enforcing imperial law, I'm not going to be crucifying people if they start to edge close to the (fuzzy) line on these things. In practice, practically nothing should change except people being a bit nicer to each other. So let's try and work towards that, okay?

The Giant Bomb Superstars

GIANT BOMB WEST - San Francisco, California

wcweljefe8fq8e.png

Jeff Gerstmann
When a careless arcade-goer spilt a 4 Loko onto a Mortal Kombat cabinet, the resulting fusion left behind only one thing: El Jefe. He enters the ring looking to deliver justice to mediocre wrestlers and mediocre video games alike with his iconic signature move, the 8.8. Throwing eggs at him will send him into a blind rage no man can reason with.

wcwshoemakerdpb5g.png

Brad Shoemaker
This crowd favourite is an expert of foretelling future events, whether you want him to or not. Supposedly a beast in dark matches, his powers are drained in front of the TV cameras, making him a less than ideal GBCW superstar; yet the #TeamBrad Movement carries on despite this. Can even the Authority shut down this shaggy underdog?

Z85yUso.png

Dan Ryckert
Hailing from Minneapolis, MN, the Butt Tumbler joins the Giant Bomb West Coast wrestling federation. Previously just a meer smark, no wrestler is more infamous for their out-of-the-ring antics than this wily contender; you may get the pin, but he'll have his revenge in the end, whether it's through dating sites, midnight launches or writing and self-publishing a book detailing your every flaw. That's assuming he can be pinned, though - his silly exterior masks old-school technique honed for years of watching terrible PPVs. Watch out for his punishing aerial technique, the Air Force Gator - it's got a real bite.

wcwthecomradefrcok.png

Drew Scanlon
Hand-picked by Putin himself to demonstrate the Soviet might in the squared circle, the Comrade is the Czar of technique. He wows the dirty capitalist masses with the devastating Take Off, followed by his powerful finisher the Crash Landing. Local police forces believe him to have been involved in drug-smuggling operations back in his home country of the Czech Republic.

wcwrorie58dco.png

Matthew Rorie
A former spymaster for the mysterious Obisidian corporation, Rorie now manages a mean stable at Giant Bomb called "The Dogpound". Few are as skilled in turning their opponent's power against them than this alarmingly nimble superstar.

sHlZWdw.png

Jason Oestreicher
Coming to the Giant Bomb world championship scene from a small federation in Minneapolis, the Informer worked for years behind the scenes, making the show go smooth and leaving the crowds satisfied. However, when you spend your life watching amateurs throw each about, demonstrating technique far too out-dated for human consumption, the bloodlust can only be held back for so long. He dons his mask with a view to thrill the San Francisco crowds and make his name as legendary in the ring as out of it.

GIANT BOMB EAST - New York City, New York

wcwthewolfs4cyx.png

Alex Navarro
The Wolf is the undisputed champ of the Giant Bomb wrestling scene. His flawless victory at the PAX East Royal Rumble cemented this superstar's status as a force to be reckoned with, even against Giant Bomb West and their underhand "tactics". His influence has brought new followers to his cause, and anyone standing in his way will fall to the Snark Bomb. His only weakness is the cutest of video games.

wcwbusinessman6xqtk.png

Vinny Caravella
Following the collapse of his small business in the wake of the Internet Age, the Businessman seeks revenge on a world that has wronged him for the last time. His signature move is Stamps.com - 16 crushing stamps to the chest in a row - leaves no-one standing, especially as a cap to his borderline illegal fighting style, honed in open worlds across all video games. He's spent the last few weeks practising the Coast To Coast. Be afraid.

RING OF HORROR - Chicago, Illinois

wcwscoopsbslg9.png

Patrick Klepek
Long-time tag-team partner of the Wolf, despite currently being based nowhere near NYC, Scoops is best known as the man behind the mic in the world of Giant Bomb Wrestling, getting the juiciest soundbites out of our favourite wrestlers. That said, don't count him out in the ring - his White Face technique puts the fear of God into his opponents, letting him easily hit them with the Bat Tech finisher for the pin.

Giant Bomb Hall of Fame

GJmKLNP.png

Ryan Davis
This is the man all Giant Bomb superstars dream of being even a shade as legendary as. The most loyal man in the company, Nacho Boss lived up to his name, main-eventing time after time with flavour you just couldn't get enough of. His no-holds-barred delivery stunned opponents on both coasts and beyond, with shutdowns and taunts you'd expect to see coming from the most villainous of contenders, never mind the friendliest face in any fed. His time in the ring was far too short-lived for such an amazing spectacle of a superstar.

Ryan Davis, the Nacho Boss. RIP, man.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Send your Superstar Fan Mail here:

Brad: @bradshoemaker, Tumblr: From the Desk of Brad Shoemaker, NeoGAF: rudds
Jeff: @jeffgerstmann, Tumblr: Jeff Gerstmann Is Still A Threat, NeoGAF: MonsterDunk
Patrick: @patrickklepek, Tumblr: Patrick Klepek Will Now Take Your Calls, NeoGAF: Patrick Klepek
Vinny: @VinnyCaravella, Tumblr: My friends call me Vinny, NeoGAF: bionicpuppy
Drew: @drewscanlon
Alex: @alex_navarro, Tumblr: SPEAK TO ME, DUDERS
Matt Rorie: @frailgesture, Tumblr: Properly Petting Puppies
Dan: @DanRyckert, NeoGAF: DanRyckert
Jason: @unastrike

What To Do When The Giant Bomb Camera Guys Are On The Ric Flair Sauce Again

FTXgxBM.png

--------------------------

That's it! Have a good thread! Be kind and pleasant and all that jazz. In the words of Michael Cole: "So long everybody!"

ibgUf2Brl0gw0H.gif
quigtm.gif
iR0oPe2jKzvwn.gif

I thought thread were closed after 20 000 posts ?

edit: hey, the title should read "OT8", not "#8". What's up with that ?

Ein Bear

Following the collapse of his small business in the wake of the Internet Age, the Businessman seeks revenge on a world that has wronged him for the last time. His signature move is Stamps.com - 16 crushing stamps to the chest in a row - leaves no-one standing, especially as a cap to his borderline illegal fighting style, honed in open worlds across all video games. He's spent the last few weeks practising the Coast To Coast. Be afraid.

Absolutely amazing.

Patryn

New thread smell is nice. I hope you have room for Dan's card soon!

We were very close to that in 7, so it was decided we'd just go 7 -> E3 -> 8.

Myggen

Great OT and title!

Last thread was just for E3, so got closed after that. Also, this thread has had # and not OT as a title for a good while now.

Alucrid

Banned
About the panels. Less guests per segment either means less guests overall or shorter segments. One gets us better conversations at the expense of variety while the other gives us the opposite. Maybe I'm crazy, but how about two streams.

Wait..... according to the Giantbomb Canon bible are Vinny and Small Businessman the same person or are they two different people like Jeff and Doctor Tracksuit?

If you've ever wondered by Hot Coldman makes the threads now instead of me, just look at that fucking OP. Excellent work duder.

[insert currently relevant Gianbomb meme and/or gif]

Perfusion

Neo Member
Wait..... according to the Giantbomb Canon bible are Vinny and Small Businessman the same person or are they two different people like Jeff and Doctor Tracksuit?

I've always imagined they were separate people. It wouldn't make sense for Small Businessman to be the CEO of the mega-global conglomerate VinnCo. Small Buisnessman is Vinny's 'undercover boss'-type persona.

Also, this thread has had # and not OT as a title for a good while now.

We should rectify that this instant ! The thread doesn't smell as official if it doesn't respect the usual Neogaf procedure.

Anyways, when is the new editor getting revealed ? Tomorrow, I hope. We'll have to add him to the OP !

oti

Banned
It's already the eighth entry in the series? I think they should just drop the number and reboot the franchise. It's getting kinda silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom