• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Sony's approach really didn't click with me. It just felt like an hour long trailer reel, and I'd prefer to just look at the good stuff on YouTube, while ignoring the garbage (Days Gone). With MS, I knew what they had coming in the next year, and found out why I should care.

Also, I need talking heads doing some stupid shit. How else do we get #WEED3

MS gave me a reason to care and then cancelled it.

And totally have those weird streams and celebrities as well, but if I'm up at 2am and drunkenly watching a press conference, I'd rather that be a show and have the talking later.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I wish the Splatoon and ARMS match livestreams were drunk celebrity oriented...

Cptkrush

I'm just glad the reaction to Sony's conference last year was hugely positive from average people that watched it. It's the style I want to see going forward from all of them if possible. Sure, the one previous was some big announcements, but still too many talking heads. Save that for PSX.

I honestly think it should be the other way around. E3 was supposed to be a trade show for professionals and investors. I don't mind when they pander to fans with things like sonys conference every once in a while, but I also like when they come out and talk about the what and why. With e3 being kind of public this year, this is all kinda moot, but I still want someone on stage explaining the game to me and why I should care about it

Hasney

Key word there is was. It stopped being that when they livestreamed it for public consumption.

I get what you mean, but if I'm watching, I don't care. I just want to be entertained.

Don't know what you're talking about, there. There's Ranking of Fighters, the Old Games Show, the No Go Show, Blight Club, Project B.E.A.S.T., I Love Mondays, Spelunkin' with Scoops, and much much more. It's an embarrassment of riches.

Did you purposely name every dead series you could think of or was that unintentional lol?

Volotaire

Key word there is was. It stopped being that when they livestreamed it for public consumption.

I get what you mean, but if I'm watching, I don't care. I just want to be entertained.

There was a period, from when they started livestreaming around 2004 to 2007ish, when the Big 3 were still presenting sales and performance figures. But, that has completely disappeared.

ArjanN

I honestly think it should be the other way around. E3 was supposed to be a trade show for professionals and investors. I don't mind when they pander to fans with things like sonys conference every once in a while, but I also like when they come out and talk about the what and why. With e3 being kind of public this year, this is all kinda moot, but I still want someone on stage explaining the game to me and why I should care about it

IMO 90% of the stuff the talking heads say is either fluff or could just be put in a press release.

Hasney

Ooo, UPF has Pizza Tycoon in the thumbnail. PUMPED.

giphy.gif
There was a period, from when they started livestreaming around 2004 to 2007ish, when the Big 3 were still presenting sales and performance figures. But, that has completely disappeared.

Yeah, they couldn't figure out what they wanted to be at that point. The 'just games but people explaining them' is probably the middle ground for pros and people watching, but I do think that because they have an opportunity to engage with their audience directly now, they should do that.

Goddamn I think I really like arms.

Did not expect that at all.

It's really, really fun. Might skip out of the testpunches going forward as I'm sold and I noww want that loot grind!

oti

Banned

You can get that in interviews, in Youtube videos, on twitter etc. E3 was born as a way to get mass media attention. You don't need the E3 for that anymore. And you REALLY don't need E3 if you want to hear people tell you why you should pre-order their game.

From a professional point of view E3 is dying. The press (as in the press that goes to E3 to write previews for readers etc.) isn't as important to the publishers as it once was. That's why more and more publishers bail out, that's why they're now transforming E3 into a fan event. Eventually E3 will be like gamescom. Fans will walk through the booths while the real business happens behind closed doors and the press works in the press area.

I really don't get why people want, out of all days in the year, to hear marketing during the E3 press conference. Look around you. There's marketing everywhere. You can #engage with Sony's marketing efforts every single day of the week. Why not have this spectacle that is E3 for gameplay and trailers.

oti

Banned
Idk i can see trailers anytime. I want to laugh and have fun at the expense of the marketing.

Yeah, I get that. But to me genuine "This game looks rad and we're all watching this trailer together video games are cool you guys"-fun is more valuable than "Ugh did he really just say that that's sooooo marketing you guys let me tweet out my snark"-fun.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean part of the reason is that early videos is mostly people who don't know how to play it just walking around really slowly and struggling to hit people.

But what you really want to be doing is always be dashing. ALWAYS. BE. DASHING.

Hasney

god, I hate this sticky warmth...I have no pool to cool off in.

Yeah, I was out last night and cider was enough to cool me. But I didn't sleep until 4am because I was so hot. We just had a thunderstorm that thankfully cooled everything today.

Rainmaker

Banned
Yeah, I get that. But to me genuine "This game looks rad and we're all watching this trailer together video games are cool you guys"-fun is more valuable than "Ugh did he really just say that that's sooooo marketing you guys let me tweet out my snark"-fun.

In a perfect world yeah, but most of that Sony conference was games I personally did not think looked cool and it would probably be that way for most conferences every year if they followed that format. I can not imagine enjoying an Ubisoft conference done like that. I think I just like the mix.

There was a time where I thought I wanted what Sony did. That was "the dream E3 conference" format but seeing it I realized how much I would miss all the other stupid bullshit.

Jintor

counterpoint: the lobby system is amazing and the fighting is deliberate and you're gonna get jacked if you try and spam

jaina

The lobby is great, the random mode selection maybe not.
I want to play volley ball only.

But I guess the random modes in Standard Play are also in the main game, so nobody waits in an odd-numbered lobby.

pizzacat

Banned
The lobby system is okay but I want to be able to challenge people. I got paired against a 0 when I was at 60+ points

I was the leader in points in both tests and it happened 4 times.

counterpoint: the lobby system is amazing and the fighting is deliberate and you're gonna get jacked if you try and spam

Why is it amazing? It makes me feel like I'm always waiting for other people to finish their matches. Getting matched into a lobby and having to wait for everyone else to finish their matches is not a great feeling.

As for the fighting, punches and movement just felt very slow compared to other fighting games or 3D fighters that I've played. Which would be totally fine if the actual fighting was still satisfying but I didn't find it to be.

Not trying to spam, just sharing my opinion.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Why is it amazing? It makes me feel like I'm always waiting for other people to finish their matches. Getting matched into a lobby and having to wait for everyone else to finish their matches is not a great feeling.

Have you ever used a lobby system in a fighting game?

Let me send him on an all expense paid trip to the shadow realm with my roasts on him because I couldn't hear the audio for 4 minutes or because upf doesn't fade to black

He'd probably enjoy that.

pizzacat

Banned
Pro play in 3D fighters are first to 3 for a match because of how fast it is to just die.

Make a mistake near a wall and you're dead

Here you can take your time because in reality there's no combos that are higher than 2 hits besides super and you can actually zone with the right equipment

Jintor

i meant spam as in spam punches in the game

the lobby system is great. i dunno what other lobby systems you've been playing but downtime is about 20 seconds or so in both testpunches i've been in so far, and in that time i load up the quick test and fool around with arm combos and then get chucked into a match. hopefully the full version will have ways to restrict by game type though.

yeah the punches and movement are slower than a capcom fighter etc. that's because arms is a different kind of game by the feel of it, a very deliberate, controlled game about footwork and recovery. it's a boxing game basically - we all made jokes about wii boxing's successor when it came out and hell, it kind of is that. it's about jabs and probing and footwork, i think. this is all based off of like 1 and a half hours and only like 20-30 matches, but i think that seems fairly accurate to me

pizzacat

Banned
Okay I don't like these kind of lobbys in general but...

Why would a matchmaking system just not be a better option?
Check the menu, there's something there for that but they're obviously not testing it with this beta

Lobby was super quick for me

And for the gameplay hey whatever see you in T7

Hindl

For the people using motion controls with arms, are you able to sit down or do you have to stand up to use them right?

Jintor

motion i was standing up in front of the screen

if i'm gonna imaginary punch to play a video game i'm gonna go all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom