• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gigabash adding Godzilla DLC is the first Godzilla game in sometime… what do you think will be the future of Godzilla in Video Games?

0neAnd0nly

When Godzilla ps3/ps4 came out in 2014 for less than a typical game MSRP, it was received interestingly. Critics, including the media company I was with, largely panned it but the user scores generally faired far better. It became a cult hit, and as most fans of Godzilla know - TOHO tends to be strict with the license, and the game went OOP a few years after release, driving up a discount game at release into HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS in the second hand market (as it sits today).

There is clearly demand for the Big Beloved Atomic Breathing Beast, so the absence of Godzilla and his cast of monsters has been strange.

That absence has simmered until Gigabash, a destructible monster brawler created by a huge Kaiju and Godzilla fan showed up earlier this year and grabbed pretty impressive critical reception. The only issue with the game and it’s August release, was that even though it was a love letter to Classical Kaiju, it wasn’t able to secure a license for the official TOHO cast and the game suffered in initial sales pretty hard… until an announcement this month occurred with a $10 DLC featuring 4 monsters from the Godzilla universe, including the Big G himself!

This has paired with a bit of a bump for the game, and nearly all reviews have been outstanding as the game paired the DLC with a patch release opening up crossplay between ps4/ps5 and PC.

(This game is currently on sale for $27 on steam, or available for $36 on PSN for this interested in jumping in.)

My question for GAF is… do you think we will see more Godzilla games pop up in the near future, or do you think the most famous Monster of them all will continue to be limited?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m sure we’ll see more Godzilla games in the futures, but they’ll be few and far between.
Kinda kicking myself for never buying the PS4 Godzilla. It wasn’t received well, and $35 was more than I wanted to spend. Should’ve known it would go up in price.

Gigabash reminds me of Incognito’s War of the Monsters. I’m probably being weird, but it’d feel odd having Godzilla characters mixed with a bunch of no names. I hope the game gets more movie monster DLC though.

GameCube’s Destroy All Monsters Melee is still my favorite Godzilla game.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

I’m sure we’ll see more Godzilla games in the futures, but they’ll be few and far between.
Kinda kicking myself for never buying the PS4 Godzilla. It wasn’t received well, and $35 was more than I wanted to spend. Should’ve known it would go up in price.

Gigabash reminds me of Incognito’s War of the Monsters. I’m probably being weird, but it’d feel odd having Godzilla characters mixed with a bunch of no names. I hope the game gets more movie monster DLC though.

GameCube’s Destroy All Monsters Melee is still my favorite Godzilla game.

Funny story.

Godzilla ps4, I was actually suppose to do the review for for the publication I was with. I was a huge Godzilla fan. Right up my alley. My best friend / co-worker however calls me up and is like “I Just got Godzilla and I’m going to take the review” and that night he is like “this game is awful, don’t play it”.

So I was already munching through other games I was reviewing, plus my own backlog so I put it on the back burner.

Mistake. Didn’t pick it up at launch, didn’t pick it up in the months following. When I went to finally get it.. nobody had it, and I wanted physical. Never thought it would forever be gone. Oh well.

Gigabash looks incredibly fun as a party game, and I am hoping if they can get enough support - they may end up doing another pack of TOHO monsters, so soon there will be more. The 4 released looks pretty friggin sweet though, for real.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
When I went to finally get it.. nobody had it, and I wanted physical. Never thought it would forever be gone. Oh well.

Was there ever a digital release? At one point I was just going to get it digitally because no one had physical copies in my area, and I couldn’t find it on PSN.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Japan Flying GIF

coffinbirth

I actually somehow didn’t know this…

But it doesn’t sound or look insanely promising. Hopefully though!

I am purchasing Gigabash tonight and getting the Godzilla DLC, so I will hopefully get my fill! Haha.
Well, sadly...most Godzilla games are garbage. Just bad games, by and large, so just the sheer fact that there is a game in development is good enough for me. It won't be TOHO, but that might actually be a good thing, as Legendary has actual budgets to work with.

Looks like I'm one of the few here to have a copy of Godzilla for PS4, that's wild to me. I could've bought five of them when I got mine, all in a bargain bin for $20.

Also, since we're on the subject, anyone ever played Gamera 2000??? It's an obscure Japan only PS1 Star Fox clone with TOHO Kaiju and stuff. Hilarious cutscenes. Pretty neat little gem.

Codes 208

I want another 2d auto scroller godzilla game like the classic snes game and those two godzilla the series games on GBC

Seriously, i still have the physical version of this game, abaolutely loved it as a kid

gbc_godzilla_the_series-monster_wars_p_n6k6mz.jpg

I also miss the Destroy all monsters type of brawlers

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

A game developed by a nobody developer who as far as I can tell, has never made a decent game, and also featuring the lame, swollen American Godzilla, plus set in the shite Monsterverse. Hype levels are at zero.

Give me a fully 3D game, made by a AAA developer, where I can trash cities and other monsters as Shin Godzilla!

coffinbirth

A game developed by a nobody developer who as far as I can tell, has never made a decent game, and also featuring the lame, swollen American Godzilla, plus set in the shite Monsterverse. Hype levels are at zero.

Give me a fully 3D game, made by a AAA developer, where I can trash cities and other monsters as Shin Godzilla!
Godzilla fans wanting Godzilla games are beggars, and thusly, we cannot be choosers.

I mean, look...you're literally begging for a Godzilla game!

Obviously a AAA Godzilla game, whether it be classic TOHO, Shin Godzilla, or Monsterverse, would be amazing. But that's never going to happen. Godzilla games have been around for literally 40 years, and they are nearly all garbage. The sooner you accept that, the better you'll feel about getting ANYTHING, and thusly this Monsterverse game being better than nothing. Put that wherever you need to on your little hype level meter.

gunstarhero

Perfect time to bump this thread - anybody else get Gigabash lately?
Group of friends and I were just playing this last night (online)

Game is really good - we’ve been playing it since release and all the new characters are awesome. It’s basically Smash Bros mixed with King of the Monsters. Single player can be dull - it’s definitely meant to be played with other people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom