• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New King Kong Game Announced

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A new King Kong game is in the works. King Kong is one of the most iconic characters in fiction. The character made his debut on the big screen in 1933 and has been a pop culture staple ever since. He has been iterated upon countless times through books, games, and films, getting all kinds of big blockbusters from directors like Peter Jackson with all-star casts. King Kong is a pillar of cinema, but he has been missing from video games for some time. Outside of a somewhat strange appearance in Call of Duty: Warzone in 2022 with his good pal Godzilla, King Kong hasn't been represented in a game for a while. The last AAA King Kong game was from Ubisoft in 2005 and was a tie-in with the Peter Jackson film.

However, he will return to our consoles soon. As reported by Licensing Magazine, DeVito Artworks has partnered up with GameMill Entertainment (Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl) to produce a new King Kong game for a variety of platforms. As of right now, we don't know much else about it. We don't know the genre, the exact platforms, or even when it might release, but rest assured, King Kong is coming.

"I could not be more excited to be working with GameMill Entertainment's talented team that will provide both King Kong fans and gamers the chance to experience King Kong's primordial world in a gamified way", says Joe DeVito, of DeVito Artworks. "We continue to expand our King Kong licensing program in various categories including VR arcade games, collectibles, comic books and board games".

Gudji

Halloween GIF

A new King Kong game is in the works. King Kong is one of the most iconic characters in fiction. The character made his debut on the big screen in 1933 and has been a pop culture staple ever since. He has been iterated upon countless times through books, games, and films, getting all kinds of big blockbusters from directors like Peter Jackson with all-star casts. King Kong is a pillar of cinema, but he has been missing from video games for some time. Outside of a somewhat strange appearance in Call of Duty: Warzone in 2022 with his good pal Godzilla, King Kong hasn't been represented in a game for a while. The last AAA King Kong game was from Ubisoft in 2005 and was a tie-in with the Peter Jackson film.
sorry, but there just aren't a whole lotta directors like peter jackson...

EDMIX

Coming from a shovelware dev.

Thats so funny, I was just fucking talking about companies that own these IPs giving a damn and only doing the contract with a reputable well known developer.

Its like they don't learn.

So...they saw all that success and massive record sales from Star Wars Fallen Order, Battlefront, Spiderman, Batman series and was like "shiiiiiiiit lets get the cheapest team out, they'll buy it for da name bro"

CamHostage

However, he will return to our consoles soon. As reported by Licensing Magazine, DeVito Artworks has partnered up with GameMill Entertainment (Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl) to produce a new King Kong game for a variety of platforms. As of right now, we don't know much else about it. We don't know the genre, the exact platforms, or even when it might release, but rest assured, King Kong is coming.

"I could not be more excited to be working with GameMill Entertainment's talented team that will provide both King Kong fans and gamers the chance to experience King Kong's primordial world in a gamified way", says Joe DeVito, of DeVito Artworks. "We continue to expand our King Kong licensing program in various categories including VR arcade games, collectibles, comic books and board games".

Hmm. It's bound to be budge, being published by GameMill, but it's interesting that like license came from the DeVito Artworks side of the license, which owns specifically the "Kong of Skull Island" stuff. (It's a complicated license... even the movie "Kong: Skull Island" is its own unique thing, and DeVito sued the moviemakers.) It could be more dark and wild than the usual kid stuff that GameMill pumps out. Or not. Either way, it's not worth talking about with any excitement since this publisher does not afford for good stuff to be made, but if you like the big ape, look forward to it?

Last edited:

CamHostage

Thats so funny, I was just fucking talking about companies that own these IPs giving a damn and only doing the contract with a reputable well known developer.

Its like they don't learn.

So...they saw all that success and massive record sales from Star Wars Fallen Order, Battlefront, Spiderman, Batman series and was like "shiiiiiiiit lets get the cheapest team out, they'll buy it for da name bro"

They have learned, which is the problem.

There was a time when licensing was good business, but now everybody wants to own their own IP. Developers don't want to work on contract for a set fee (or even some nominal participation,) and brand owners don't want to farm out their brands unless they can control the use of and profits off of its brands. (Notice that half the titles you mentioned are developed inside the walls of the company who owns the brand, and the other half were through long-term partnerships in tandem with the brand holder under terms beyond the typical "licensed property" agreement?)

Unfortunately, we're not in the same market which spawned great developer-calling-card games using licensed properties for games such as Chronicles of Riddick, Goldeneye, KOTOR, XMEN Origins Wolverine, LEGO Star Wars, Buffy, or AvP. Those projects just don't happen anymore. Development timelines take too long and brand holders are far too hands-on for the projects to be worthwhile. The business still works in the mobile space (kind of? even licenced mobile games are way fewer than for example when GameLoft had all kinds of cellphone games based on whatever property was hot at the time.) New stuff like Avatar FoP or Indiana Jones by MachineWorks are rarities rather than the norm. (And even internal brand productions like Hogwarts Legacy and Multiversus and Batman are way less common than they were in past generations; even when publishers have full control of both the brand and the developer, these games don't come together as quickly as they once did.)

If DeVito Artworks was waiting for a phone call to be returned from great developers like Insomniac or The Collective when they were trying to get good developers on their Kong brand, that line would have been dead line for a long, long time...

Last edited:

CamHostage

Yeah, but Shin Godzilla plus Godzilla’s history of kickass movies give him the edge for me.
But I can’t blame you for liking Kong more. The Monsterverse Kong is great, and the fights in Skull Island were *chef’s kiss*

Godzilla vs. Kong was an interesting experience for me; in the first 20 minutes or so, I was thinking, "No, this is nonsense...", and then it got to that first fight on the boat and suddenly I started to give it a chance as silly-but-exciting action that was made in admiration of the late Showa era movies and unabashedly untethered from reality as we know if, and eventually I got to the point of saying, "Yes, this is my kind of nonsense!"

Shin Godzilla was unabashedly great though. There's moments in that I'll never forget, which didn't seem possible for the Nth Godzilla movie I've seen in my life.

Last edited:
Yeah, but Shin Godzilla plus Godzilla’s history of kickass movies give him the edge for me.
But I can’t blame you for liking Kong more. The Monsterverse Kong is great, and the fights in Skull Island were *chef’s kiss*
I also played that Kong game on the first Xbox and it was decent. Haven’t seen a Godzilla game

k_trout

so will we get to play as Kong, who has to stealth into the humans base to kidnap the woman without setting off any alarms?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I also played that Kong game on the first Xbox and it was decent. Haven’t seen a Godzilla game

They did a good job with the Kong game. Godzilla games have largely been garbage, with the one decent one being Destroy All Monsters Melee on Gamecube.

The Dreamcast Godzilla game was pretty interesting for its time, but it was more of a demo for you to just destroy a city. Not a single monster to fight.

Top Bottom