• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl Scouts face uproar over Trump parade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Yeah, their reasoning is all broken. If I had a daughter in the US, I wouldn't want her associated with Trump in any way.

Chumly

What a garbage response. They think marching means they are taking a seat at the leader table? More like sit down and be quiet like good women.

I'm very glad the Girl Scouts leadership finds it appropriate to support the pussy grabber in chief, but I won't have anything to do with it.

Unreal. If I had a daughter who was in the scouts, that would be the end of her being in the scouts.

mollipen

Hugely disappointed at the people talking about cookie boycotts and whatnot. The Girl Scouts do a lot of good, and it wasn't so long ago that the organization was targeted with talks of boycotts because of their support and inclusion of transgender scouts—which caused them to refuse a huge donations because it would have come with the stipulation of them being anti-trans.

Some people need to grow up about Trump. He's the president, and that's that. Protest him and his government, fight against laws, support politicians working against him, do those kinds of things, but don't take it out on a bunch of little girls.

I think this provides some important context.

That said, they could always drop out, but there are valid reasons going both ways here, really. I'm pretty sure that, by a large margin, most of the leaders of the Girl Scouts find Trump repugnant, but is putting the Girl Scouts into the sidelines really the best option here?

It provides ZERO important context. It's not like it's a mystery surprise tomorrow, they know who the hell is going to be there now and they don't care.

Also, lol @ not attending a parade for a jackass is "sidelining" an entire organization.

smurfx

get some go again
eh i don't feel like politicizing everything. just ask the parents of the children if they agree to letting their kids march and be done with it. there are going to be parents in the girl scouts who do support trump so who cares in the end.

Lyn

Banned
I get being annoyed/upset at their participation, especially when you consider the past comments made by Trump towards women. I don't understand boycotting the group entirely though and especially the cookies.

As I understand it, profits from cookies stay completely local and are what help fund activities for them. So while it is only kids in the Washington DC area that are participating, boycotting elsewhere means those not even involved in this are going to be paying the price. Girls who have no say in what is going on elsewhere.

It sucks that some are participating, but I just don't have the heart to deny funding to local scouts working hard to fund group activities.

Dalek

they are soooo good. My wife's the cookie mom and we got 2 packages to try in advance. Very similar to the Peanut Butter Chocolate masterpieces in all honesty.

We got those too, but my wife is saving them to share with the troop at this weekend's meeting.

I'll be in the other room.
peer.gif

I live in Australia. How can I get me some of these cookies?

You can now place orders online with one of the scouts-the online orders are slightly more expensive-or require a mininum box order-something like that. I have to get the online site up this weekend.

As I understand it, profits from cookies stay completely local and are what help fund activities for them.
This is correct. The troop purchases an allotment of cookies and then sells them. Whatever profit they make is for THAT TROOP. That goes to fund things like field trips or community events for that troop. Last year my daughter's troop arranged something at the SPCA with the money they earned-they got to go see and take care of animals and they donated money for the animal's care.

smurfx

get some go again
We got those too, but my wife is saving them to share with the troop at this weekend's meeting.

I'll be in the other room.
peer.gif

You can now place orders online with one of the scouts-the online orders are slightly more expensive-or require a mininum box order-something like that. I have to get the online site up this weekend.
fGsjNDm.gif

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I live in Australia. How can I get me some of these cookies?

If you're serious, I can hook you up. Coworkers sell them at this time of year.

On topic - I support the Girl Scouts' reasoning. I know people will take issue with that, but that's how I feel.

Keasar

Question regarding the Girl Scouts of America as a former Scout in Sweden.

Are there only separate gender organizations? I know about the Boy Scouts (they are not well viewed here for various reasons) and the existence about the Girl Scouts (not much known about them), are there any mixed gender groups or are those two all there is?

Cat Party

My wife is a troop leader for our girls and we will all be attending the local Womens' March on Saturday.

Boycotting Girl Scout Cookies over this is slacktivism at its worst. You're punishing the young girls directly, as cookie selling is their only fundraiser and many kids rely on that money to go to camp.

My wife is a troop leader for our girls and we will all be attending the local Womens' March on Saturday.

Boycotting Girl Scout Cookies over this is slacktivism at its worst. You're punishing the young girls directly, as cookie selling is their only fundraiser and many kids rely on that money to go to camp.

"Will someone please think of the children!?"

Or maybe the Girl Scouts of America could have taken a look at the climate of what they were supporting by being there. Sure, it isn't their fault, but they also aren't the ones that make the decisions, that would be on the actual organization.

Besides, the best way to make a statement is with your wallet. 'Slacktivism' or not.

Man that word is getting a ton of play lately.

I am no fan of Trump but I am not sure what the Girl Scouts organization would accomplish by sacrificing it's place at the inauguration.

The Girl Scouts program does a lot of good, especially for those girls and there time at the inauguration is amazing publicity. I am not sure it is worth the organization taking a support hit to make a statement that a bunch of children who don't understand the politics of our country aren't going to march. Besides, it's not like the Girl Scout program doesn't exist in red states with parents and troop leaders who voted this president in.

Girl Scouts is a non profit organization. It's in their best interest not too get to political.

Gaining publicity by associating with Trump? awful way.

Iolo

Boycotting is one of the most effective forms of protest. Slacktivism is a change.org petition or form emailing a congressman outside your district.

StoneFox

Please don't boycott the Girl Scouts if they are in the parade.

We used our cookie money to make quilts for old people, as well as other charity work. In the end, the troops can do what they want however.

E-Cat

Meanwhile, others have rushed to defend the organization, arguing that it’s important for Girl Scouts to respect authority, serve the country, and honor tradition
Yeah, no. Fuck tradition.

Nydius

Gold Member
Hugely disappointed at the people talking about cookie boycotts and whatnot. The Girl Scouts do a lot of good, and it wasn't so long ago that the organization was targeted with talks of boycotts because of their support and inclusion of transgender scouts—which caused them to refuse a huge donations because it would have come with the stipulation of them being anti-trans.

Conversely, the Boy Scouts also do a lot of good but around here the entire organization is painted as a bunch of alt-right homophobic bigots because people can't grasp the notion that, like the Girl Scouts, the Boy Scouts are a very large organization and not every council or every troop tows the National Council's line. Oh they're supposed to but what they're supposed to do and what ACTUALLY happens are very different things.

I earned my Eagle Scout before National Council went full idiot but even after they issued their early 1990's edicts the troop I was in - first as scout, then as scouter - remained progressive. Not every troop is full of bigots looking to promote an anti-gay, anti-atheist agenda. The constant rhetoric levied against them pushes moderates and progressives away, the very people who need to be IN the system to ensure the program offers alternative points of view than what National Council continues to espouse. But I'll get off my soap box here. I think we can all agree that the BSA is guilty of perpetrating a major travesty on the American people: Trails End Popcorn.

This is correct. The troop purchases an allotment of cookies and then sells them. Whatever profit they make is for THAT TROOP. That goes to fund things like field trips or community events for that troop. Last year my daughter's troop arranged something at the SPCA with the money they earned-they got to go see and take care of animals and they donated money for the animal's care.

Not quite. 27% goes to overhead (baking and transporting). 21% goes to the individual troop. The rest goes to the local council where it's used for council-wide needs (volunteer costs, professional Scouters, administrative needs, et cetera).

The idea that all of the profit goes to the individual troop or the individual girls is the biggest misconception about the entire program. By all means, buy the cookies if you like them but as a means to support the program you're better off making a straight monetary donation to an individual troop or directly to the local council because they don't have to portion it out a bunch of different ways (especially if you donate directly to the troop).

I digress. Inedible but relevant:

JWPRf0S.jpg

And just think, in 10 years Trump will be dating one of them.

He himself has actually said things along these lines before.

Big Blue

I am no fan of Trump but I am not sure what the Girl Scouts organization would accomplish by sacrificing it's place at the inauguration.

The Girl Scouts program does a lot of good, especially for those girls and there time at the inauguration is amazing publicity. I am not sure it is worth the organization taking a support hit to make a statement that a bunch of children who don't understand the politics of our country aren't going to march. Besides, it's not like the Girl Scout program doesn't exist in red states with parents and troop leaders who voted this president in.

Girl Scouts is a non profit organization. It's in their best interest not too get to political.
Yeah but how much publicity do they need? They're nationally renowned and have the most popular cookies not branded as Oreos. This has the potential to hurt them a lot more than it helps them.

Dynasty

Pretty sure every president has released there taxes as well, Trump doesnt care for tradition then why should others?

Please don't boycott the Girl Scouts if they are in the parade.

We used our cookie money to make quilts for old people, as well as other charity work. In the end, the troops can do what they want however.

I hope this doesn't hurt you guys overall. My niece was a Girl Scout and it really is a great organization that does a lot of good.

Fushin

If they're volunteering to go who gives a shit? Let them enjoy the spectacle and have something to talk about when they get older.

LosDaddie

Banned

Like I said earlier, this "boycott" will be about as effective as the one conservatives did last year.

I hope people are as outraged in '18 to actually go fucking vote...

I understand the sentiment but I fear all this constant "Trump outrage" is going to leave the people that could be swayed numb to it from oversaturation.

Not talking actual Trump supporters as their already locked into their positions.

Dirca

I don't give a good goddamn who they support or march for, I will NEVER boycott the Girl Scouts. Thin mint cookies are akin to crack rock. Boycott all you want, more cookies for me!!

stupei

The entire reason the Girl Scouts were founded is because they didn't respect the authority of the people running the Boy Scouts telling them that these kinds of activities aren't for girls.

Yoritomo

Gaffers should argue with the girl scouts selling cookies about how disappointed they are that their organization is in the presidential inauguration march.

Hopefully you can change the political opinions of 5-12 year old young girls who are obviously supporting Trump.

Also the north texas warehouse is already out of smores. I suggest getting some of those early. I don't think they produced enough to actually meet demand.

jobrro

In Australia there is Arnotts's Mint Slice biscuits year round. Are the girl scouts cookies better than these? I never liked mint outside of toothpaste. The Smore cookies sound good though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom