• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Give me ONE movie to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoi tsuki

i never really watched movies growing up, so i've missed out on a lot of classics and just plain great movies. This isn't a thread where you have to list the ultimate movie evar. Just give me a movie to watch, and why it's worth watching. i don't care about the genre, or the language (as in languages other than english). i'll save this thread and refer to it later when i need something to watch.

ToxicAdam

Dark City

Underrated sci fi classic. Great art direction, film noir look. Sort of Matrix storyline that predates the Matrix by a few years.

Aliens

Best monster design ever in any movie possibly. Action Action Action. Great movie, great director, great actors.

Sunset Boulevard (1950) - DVD

sunsetboulevard.jpg

GhaleonEB

Unforgiven

It will redifine the western genre for you. Incredible acting, beautiful filming and devastating story. Clint Eastwood's best western, IMO.

The Godfather

I CAN'T RECOMMEND JUST ONE!

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - The remake with Jeff Goldbloom and Donald Sutherland. You know that picture with Donald Sutherland pointing with his mouth open with the caption saying STOP CHANGING THE FUCKING SUBJECT! That's from Invasion of the Body Snatchers

vote.jpg
Same scene, different caption.

E.T.

Jaws

Space Balls

The Producers (The Gene Wilder version)

Robin Hood Men in Tights (Dave Chapell is in this movie, :rock)

Dracula Dead and Loving It

Young Frankenstein

Blazing Saddles

Monty Python and the Meaning of Life

koam

J2 Cool said:
Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Awesome.

Yes, though he should watch 1 first.

If you're looking for a superhero movie, Batman Begins is the best one. The Crow is another good one (though he's not really a superhero).

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Lloyd...

Awesome sci-fi/comedy/adventure/romance masterpiece.

p.s., props to Unison for the Bringing Up Baby recommendation. Beyond excellent movie.

Commando

It's the most ridiculous movie ever.

Gladiator

Russell Crowe is amazing in this movie. Joaquin Phoenix is great as well. Great fighting sequences, great story (even if it had been done before), great acting.

koam said:

If you're looking for a superhero movie, Batman Begins is the best one. The Crow is another good one (though he's not really a superhero).

ONLY "The Crow"....god....the sequels.......was brandons big break....................so sad :(

Pellham

Banned
The Spanish Prisoner

awesome thriller by David Mamet. the dialogue style is pretty cool too (people say things that no normal person would ever say in normal conversation).

aoi tsuki

Pulp Fiction, Terminator 2, and Hero i've seen and love immensely. i've also seen Weekend at Bernie's 2, Goonies, and Aliens, but it's been too long to form any real opinion of them now, aside from a possible double standard in Weekend at Bernie's 2.

Edit: Also saw The Crow, passed on the sequel. Loved the original, but i'd need to see it again post teen angst stage.

Macam

Banned
Good Will Hunting is a favorite of mine to watch on occasion, as it's just a nice, entertaining fairly down-to-earth film to throw in.

J2 Cool

koam said:

I watched 2 first when I was a kid, and seen 1 like a prequel later on. It was pretty cool having the police department assault from the first get built up as legendary in number 2. Then seeing it.

callous

My Sassy Girl. Because it will continually amuse and surprise you in ways no Hollywood movie can anymore. And because you'll be happy you watched it and will remember it for a long time.

Dilbert

Dr. Strangelove said:
Dr. Strangelove. Best comedy ever.
I was going to recommend this movie...but then I realized that we have a GAFfer under that name who would chime in. :)

I flipped a coin between the two films I was going to recommend, and Ghost World won. bob_arctor could probably explain more eloquently about why it's good, but just liked it because of the characters -- all of them are very interesting, and very flawed. It certainly doesn't hurt that Thora Birch looks wonderful in the movie...

This topic is ridiculous. "A" movie.

Come on. There's so many great ones that I just want to start naming them all off.

A great movie that I just got done watching for the first time(I'm a little late) is Shawshank Redemption. Absolutely amazing movie.

I have no idea how I can fit it into my top 10...but it's great and deserves to be there.

My current top 10:

The Beach
Before Sunset(watch Before Sunrise first though as Sunset is a sequel).
Bulworth
American History X
Glory
He Got Game
Chasing Amy
Gattaca
Good Will Hunting
Life As A House

When you watch those 12 come back and I'll give you more....such as Life is Beautiful, Cruel Intentions, Sliding Doors, Clerks, Gladiator....gah fuck...too many more to list.

Enjoy.

GhaleonEB

Error Macro said:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Lloyd...

Awesome sci-fi/comedy/adventure/romance masterpiece.

Oh hells yes. My sig at my work email is:

No matter where you go....there you are.
-Buckaroo Banzai

One of the greatest sci-fi movies ever. The more you watch it, the more you realize how well fleshed out the story and universe are.

swoon

ErasureAcer said:
This topic is ridiculous. "A" movie.

Come on. There's so many great ones that I just want to start naming them all off.

A great movie that I just got done watching for the first time(I'm a little late) is Shawshank Redemption. Absolutely amazing movie.

I have no idea how I can fit it into my top 10...but it's great and deserves to be there.

My current top 10:

The Beach
Before Sunset(watch Before Sunrise first though as Sunset is a sequel).
Bulworth
American History X
Glory
He Got Game
Chasing Amy
Gattaca
Good Will Hunting
Life As A House

When you watch those 12 come back and I'll give you more....such as Life is Beautiful, Cruel Intentions, Sliding Doors, Clerks, Gladiator....gah fuck...too many more to list.

Enjoy.

wow

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I like the more contemperary version of Great Expectations movie. With Gwyneth Paltrow and Ethen Hawk. I liked it alot

Great Expectations said:
Ms. Nora Digger Dinsmoor: She'll only break your heart, it's a fact. And even though I warn you, even though I guarantee you that the girl will only hurt you terribly, you'll still pursue her. Ain't love grand?

Mihail

Banned
I just watched the french movie Empire of the Wolves and think it's pretty decent... lost a little focus in the 3rd act. It's got Jean Reno hotness in it.

I'll give an old favorite I recently watched and was again entranced by: Bram Stoker's Dracula. Yes the plot doesn't flow and grows boring, but style reigns supreme. Bright, vibrant colors amidst sweeping blacks and grays. An anguished overzealous performance by Gary Oldman and others. Beautiful victorian costumes. A soundtrack that is bold and dramatic. I think I've gushed enough.

siege

Banned
Saving Private Ryan
Schlinders List
Braveheart
One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Braveheart
Passion of the Christ
Glory
Forest Gump
Gladiator

Those are some more modern, mainstream, films that you should defintely check out if you haven't already.

R-User!

siege said:
Saving Private Ryan
Schlinders List
Braveheart
One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Braveheart
Passion of the Christ
Glory
Forest Gump
Gladiator

Those are some more modern, mainstream, films that you should defintely check out if you haven't already.

So the topic creator should check out Braveheart twice, huh? :D

I agree...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom