• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gizmodo - " There Are Some Super Shady Things in Oculus Rift's Terms of Service"

Rembrandt

Banned
Non-story.

This is literally what every website that displays user-generated content has in their terms of service. It's so their ass is covered when you upload your copyrighted content onto their servers, hence...

Without this clause they would be unable to display anything, as they would not have your legal consent.

Exact same bullshit as the "Facebook Messenger is listening to everything you say!" stories that used to pop up.

Journalists need to do their research and understand the law properly before shock-jocking their readers.

yeah, GAF even has this policy.

By registering an account at NeoGAF.com and participating (including but not limited to submitting posts or private messages on NeoGAF.com), you hereby grant NeoGAF LLC and our licensees, distributors, agents, representatives and other authorized users, a perpetual, non-exclusive, irrevocable, fully-paid, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable (in whole or part) worldwide license under all copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, privacy and publicity rights and other intellectual property rights you own or control to use, reproduce, transmit, display, exhibit, distribute, index, comment on, modify, create derivative works based upon, perform and otherwise exploit the messages posted or private messages sent on NeoGAF.com, in whole or in part, in all media formats and channels now known or hereafter devised, for any and all purposes including entertainment, news, advertising, promotional, marketing, publicity, trade or commercial purposes, all without further notice to you, with or without attribution, and without the requirement of any permission from or payment to you or to any other person or entity.

edit: beaten

but yeah, non-story, overreactions, etc, etc.

This has got to be illegal in some countries, right?

No, any store front, social platform, etc where end users can post and share content has this. They'd have to. Otherwise, each post, review, comment, etc... would necessitate getting a lawyer involved before the content could be seen by others.

It's a CYA policy, and a necessity to freely share content. Note, this only affects thing going through Oculus's website(forums), Oculus Home(store), and ,should Oculus have an area like Steam Workshop for mods, Oculus's mod distribution program.

Content Producers/Developers have a separate agreement.

Rembrandt

Banned
Does steam have something like this too?
No one here is trying to make money posting here.

"User Generated Content" means any content you make available to other users through your use of multi-user features of Steam, or to Valve or its affiliates through your use of the Content and Services or otherwise.

You grant Valve and its affiliates the worldwide, non-exclusive, right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, transcode, translate, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and publicly perform, your User Generated Content, and derivative works of your User Generated Content, in connection with the operation and promotion of the Steam site. This license is granted to Valve for the entire duration of the intellectual property rights and may be terminated if Valve is in breach of the license and has not cured such breach within fourteen (14) days from receiving notice from you sent to the attention of the Valve Legal Department at the applicable Valve address noted on this Privacy Policy page. The termination of said license does not affect the rights of any sub-licensees pursuant to any sub-license granted by Valve prior to termination of the license. Valve is the sole owner of the derivative works created by Valve from your Content, and is therefore entitled to grant licenses on these derivative works. If you use Valve cloud storage, you grant us a license to store your information as part of that service. Valve may place limits on the amount of storage you may use.

yeah.

Oh I see somebody read a TOS document and decided to do a bit of bad-faith journalism again. I'll go sharpen my pitchfork.

What stands out here as that even with the disingenuous cutting of the previous paragraph, it's still quite obvious in any case that this applies only to content uploaded to the oculus store.

Regarding telemetry. Everything does it. I don't entirely agree with it, but even nVidia scans your drive for installed games. I'm assuming most people throwing their arms in the air here have not read the TOS of most of their software/devices.

Of course I respect anyone who wishes to protect their privacy. It's one of things holding me back personally from upgrading to windows 10. But I suspect a certain amount of dread horror is because the owner is the evil Facebook - when as evidenced in this thread, valve and other companies that host user generated content all have this standard legal section in their TOS.

RanoNL

You do not create content with instagram and facebook like you can with the Rift so the "it's the same thing you agree with facebook tos guys" doesn't really fly.
You create your own photographs and videos right? What's the difference? You don't think photography is a profession?

Unfortunately these ToS are the default in 'social country'. Same goes for Miitomo for example. And it wouldn't surprise me if its the same for Super Mario Maker, Minecraft and all other creation games.

Deraj

I like the part where it says they can do anything they want, even if it infringes our rights.

"You irrevocably consent to any and all acts or omissions by us or persons authorized by us that may infringe any moral right (or analogous right) in your User Content."

This is what Google had in Chrome's EULA:

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

I want to see a public performance of best
(worst)
GAF posts.

Head.spawn

yeah, GAF even has this policy.

Ahh, fuck. GAF has this policy? I guess this makes the decision to go NeoViveGaf all the more easier...

...shhhhit. Valve has this same policy? I guess this makes my decision to go Gear VR all the more easier....

Oh wait. They have the same policy as Oculus?

I guess this makes my decision to go PSVR all the more easier. Sony wouldn't ever endorse shit lik...

If you post, upload or make available any User Generated Content on our Sites, you will still own the User Generated Content (assuming you have rights to own it) but you are giving us the right to use your User Generated Content. If you create, transfer, share, send, submit, post or upload any User Generated Content to our Sites, you grant us certain rights to use it (described below) without getting your further permission or having to pay you for it.

In legal terms, by transferring, sharing, sending, submitting, posting, uploading or making available User Generated Content on these Sites, you grant SIEA a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and fully sub-licensable license to use, copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, modify, adapt, translate, archive, store, and create derivative works from your User Generated Content, in any form, format or medium of any kind now known or later developed, both on these Sites and other online locations, and in other forms or media off the Internet. You waive any moral rights you might have with respect to any User Generated Content you provide to us.

COME ON!!!!1!

Not even trying Microsofts HoloLens, they probably grant irrevocable access to your soul and your first born!!

giphy.gif

standard shit guys.

Head.spawn

Why should they be able to scan my hard drive just because I'm using it?

That doesn't seem right at all.

From the page in question:

Cookies and Other Local Storage

"Cookies" are small pieces of data that are stored on your device, and that can be used to help recognize your browser across different web pages, websites, and browsing sessions. Please refer to your browser’s or device’s help materials to learn what controls you can often use to remove or block cookies (or similar technologies) or other data stored on your computer or device (such as by using the various settings in your browser). If you do this, it may affect your ability to use our Services.

Information in cookies and other information that may identify you or your device is stored on your device or in "local storage." We also use other types of local storage technologies, such as Local Shared Objects (sometimes called "Flash cookies"), in connection with our services. These other local storage technologies may use parts of your device other than your browser, which means you may not be able to control their use using the browser tools and settings you use to control browser cookies. For more information about managing Flash cookies, please see below.

We may use cookies or other local storage technologies in combination with other information we collect in order to enhance and personalize your experience on our Services, including:

-to help you log on to our Services;
-to provide a shopping cart on our Services where you can make purchases;
-to understand how people use our Services;
-to protect against fraud;
-and to deliver, understand and improve our marketing efforts.

Pixels

Pixels are small pieces of code on webpages that do things like allow another server to measure viewing of a webpage and often are used in connection with cookies.

How to control cookies or other technologies

Follow the instructions provided by your website or mobile browser (usually located within the "Help", "Tools" or "Edit" facility) to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you set your browser to disable cookies or other technologies, you may not be able to access certain parts of the Services and other parts of our Services may not work properly.

I don't get something:

Doest it mean that if you made a game that works in oculus they can use it however they want?
That doesn't sound legal anywhere, because a thing is upload an image to facebook and another totally different is create a product than runs in some peripherical.

What if it's multiplatform, or you made it with Vive but works in the Rift as well?

Macrotus

The shadiness reminded me of this.

Your Oculus Rift is sending a lot of information back to Facebook
http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/oculus-rift-facebook-privacy/

A careful reading of the privacy policy users consent to when they agree to the Oculus Rift’s terms and conditions unearths more fodder for paranoia. One section states that “depending on how you access and use” its services, Facebook may collect information about the games, content, apps, and other experiences a user interacts with; a user’s IP address and “certain device identifiers that may be unique to your device”; a device’s precise location based on GPS signal, Wi-Fi networks and cellular towers; and information about a user’s “physical movements and dimensions” when the headset is used.

They're watching.
vr.gif

There's plenty to be skeptical about Oculus, but this really isn't it. It really should be in the OP how common things like these are.

I don't get something:

Doest it mean that if you made a game that works in oculus they can use it however they want?
That doesn't sound legal anywhere, because a thing is upload an image to facebook and another totally different is create a product than runs in some peripherical.

What if it's multiplatform, or you made it with Vive but works in the Rift as well?
No. Developer rights supersede it, it's explicitly mentioned there. Quoted in an earlier post.

Well it is facebook, did anybody not see that coming?
It's a thing with a ToS. Did anybody not see that coming?

(hint: Everyone has it. Valve has it too for Steam)

UnrealEck

I know of at least two people who have anylised the content the Oculus service sends to Facebook and it's nothing privacy invading. One of those people is apparently a network engineer who knows his stuff.

And in case it hasn't been repeated enough, Valve/Steam seems to have similar (or even identical) policies.

Top Bottom