• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glitch Warrior | Gaffer Made Mega-Man throwback now on Kickstarter

Y'all know who superNESjoe is? YOU DO NOW!

VISIT THE ALMIGHTY KICKSTARTER PAGE
VOTE FOR GLITCH WARRIOR ON STEAM GREENLIGHT
WATCH THE ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER ON YOUTUBE

Kickstarter said:
Glitch Warrior is an NES-inspired action platformer built around the player's ability to manipulate the game's logic. Everything in the game runs off a series of values the player can manipulate to alter spawns, glitch out scenery, and activate wrong warps. You don't just play Glitch Warrior, you bend its rules to your will!

The majority of what you see in Glitch Warrior, from spawns to which screen will load next, is stored in a series of memory banks. The game is constantly consulting these banks and the variables stored in them to determine what to do next. What the player is able to do, through a series of unlockable powers, is manipulate and swap around these variables.

fxpg8bc.gif

Kickstarter said:
This can result in a situation where the game checks a bank expecting to find a series of enemies to spawn in the next room, only to find the variable data for spikes, health drops, or your HUD. This simple system allows you to completely disrupt the game while you experiment to solve problems and defeat enemies.

UJGtYOf.gif

Kickstarter said:
An NES-style Game. What that means is dense level design, tight length, and high difficulty. Glitch Warrior is meant to be mastered over time, yet beaten quickly by pros.

Difficulty Variables. While Glitch Warrior doesn't feature alternate difficulties, it does allow less-skilled players to even the odds. Optional unlockable upgrades are hidden throughout the game for those that need extra health, lives, etc. The glitch mechanics also give players the chance to alter specific scenes that are giving them trouble. You don't have infinite glitching power, so save it up for the sections you can't pass on your own!

Non-linear Progression Like the classic Mega Man series, Glitch Warrior's levels can be conquered in any order you choose. Determining the weaknesses of each boss and the best situations for utilizing glitches is necessary to overcome the game's challenges.

This looks like a really cool nod to the Mega-Man of days past with an interesting twist on gameplay. Support a fellow Gaffer!

Hey, thanks for doing this thread! I'll post some updates in here over time. If you have any questions or want to tell me personally how much you hate me and my games then I suppose this is as good a place as any.

Thanks for the replies folks. AGDQ was a major inspiration for the game. The way speed runners manipulate the rules of a game to get an advantage was the sparking philosophy behind the idea.

If you like the idea, send a news tip to your favorite gaming outlet and share it on social media. We can't make the game without funding and we need all the exposure we can get.

For those who aren't familiar with superNESjoe, keep in mind that he has a spotty history with Kickstarter. No disrespect, I just think anybody considering backing this should know this information.

All that being said, this definitely looks interesting. Might be cutting it a little too closely from a legal perspective with the Mega Man resemblance, but it's a cool concept for a game.

For those who aren't familiar with superNESjoe, keep in mind that he has a spotty history with Kickstarter. No disrespect, I just think anybody considering backing this should know this information.

All that being said, this definitely looks interesting. Might be cutting it a little too closely from a legal perspective with the Mega Man resemblance, but it's a cool concept for a game.

Nothing I've hidden from either. I'll break it down.

Jesh had issues. My old team broke up, I eventually finished the game and every backer got it. They also got a key to redeem a free copy of every game we ever make to make up for it.

Bad Dudes 2 was something else entirely. We had a partnership with G Mode to make that game but needed funds. Didn't pan out because we didn't have enough to show and had no development history to forge trust. Pinstripe broke up after this.

GunWorld was not funded. Despite that it was finished and released. It's on Steam now.

Top Bottom