• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Global economic collapse

It was interesting to see in The Rover although never really specified in the film itself. However, on the film's website, the timeline talks about Asian skilled labor outpacing the West, resource riots in the U.K., frequent climate disasters, a great escape to southern Australia reminiscent of the 19th century gold rush.

One thing I remember from the movie is a shot of a train moving down a track guarded by (Chinese?) soldiers. At least this is what I remember. It's been a couple years since I last saw the movie but it stuck with me, made me wonder why and how the world went to shit.

It's one of the few movies that made me stop and think about the future - albeit a work of fiction - on display. Do you think in, say, a hundred years or further into the future we will see a global economic collapse? A series of events that changes how we see the world and how it operates globally?

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
main thing i remember is that memento guy was pissed off that he killed his wife and was pissed that no one tried to come after him and get justice and I think pattison got killed. i remember being impressed by pattison's acting

iono about economic collapse but China is getting richer and more powerful and it appears that they have their people under control & rich under control. in america we are fighting like fucking crazy omg its so insane this left vs right sh!t has got to stop. i feel like china is eventually gonna come at us they have over a billion people and they're getting more powerful by the day they're already tired of our bullsh!t

main thing i remember is that memento guy was pissed off that he killed his wife and was pissed that no one tried to come after him and get justice and I think pattison got killed. i remember being impressed by pattison's acting

iono about economic collapse but China is getting richer and more powerful and it appears that they have their people under control & rich under control. in america we are fighting like fucking crazy omg its so insane this left vs right sh!t has got to stop. i feel like china is eventually gonna come at us they have over a billion people and they're getting more powerful by the day they're already tired of our bullsh!t
Yeah, Guy Pierce's character Eric survived and it was revealed at the end that he wanted his car back because of his dead dog in the trunk. I really liked the ending.

V4skunk

Banned
Read about Islamic Eschatology and be amazed at how it paints the latter days of this earth.

You don't have to be religious to read or even believe it, but it's fascinating nonetheless.
Go read the Old Testament! Some powerful people / groups seem to making it reality.
We will see economic collapse in our lifetimes! It will start with the collapse of the EU.

I am ethnically Chinese.
I feel it is just human nature causing the rise and decline of empires.
You can say it is greed, etc. But this is the framing from the perspective of a Westerner, who of course will feel bad about this, a sense of lost and nostalgia of the 'good ol days'. This is why framing the enemy as China or the East is starting to shape the political climate here. But really, most of it is a deliberate exaggeration for political preservation. Also people's confirmation bias and I will say a bit of unconscious and conscious jealousy about the visible wealth of Asians (specifically the dichotomy in their minds of the poor 'communist' Chinese) heightened by some of the arrogant displays of bling bling by the new wealth of some of the Chinese are intensifying the situation.

I am stuck in the middle, but this is how I see it. I just hope there is no big war. I can see the trend of the enlarged ego of the left-leaning and social justice group (like resetEra) mainstream demographic being apathetic about a war with China in the future if they continue to manage this narrative well. Even in the Chinese community here in Vancouver I can see groups always targeting people new from the Mainland with anti-Chinese government propaganda. For example, there are old ladies here from Falun Gong in Vancouver who only speak to new Chinese immigrants from the Mainland with anti-Communist comments. They would ignore me instantly after I tell them I am a local. Not to mention the free Epoch Times newspaper being distributed along mainstream newspapers around Chinese communities. In my mind, this is a way to change the identity of Chinese in support of the Western capitalist system. But actually, most Mainlanders understand all this, and they are quite objective about both sides unlike many in the West due to the media's focus on emotions and portraying an enemy. I enjoy speaking to Mainlanders about their worldview usually.

Even the situation with Hong Kong is mostly racist jealousy among the youth stuck in the middle (Mandarin not too good, housing price high AF) who feel shitty about their future prospects within the Chinese community, heightened by a coloured view of the past 'glory' days... which was mostly because of the middleman role HK played for Mainland China before. I was there in HK during the protest.

The Western media does not mention these enraged and possessed protesters threatening with violence any bystanders who take photos without their permission.... and only allowing their own group to take photos to feed the international community. Yet many will buy this messaging in the West because it feeds their confirmation bias against China based on a now sense of insecurity. I am a Cantonese speaking Canadian born Chinese who is not rich... and this is my perspective. I just finished studying in the Mainland and have met and spoken to many Chinese people, so I have great empathy and good feelings overall about China. If you can ignore the surface level bad mannerisms of some of the people (mostly born in rural areas), most are kind and decent. I actually prefer Mainlanders over HK folks even though I speak Cantonese because unlike in Canada where Western values are respect and equality. Part of Hong Kong cultural identity puts their copying of Western fashion and culture on a pedestal of being more superior among Asians instead of the real values of the West that I respect, that of true equality and freedom. This is the major cause of the protest really, that and the cultural climate in HK among the lower class which includes a lot of gossip and bickering.

Sorry for going off-topic, but I have been thinking a lot about this stuff since I am stuck in the middle, but I know I do not see China the way many in the West are starting to feel. I know it is mostly white dudes here. If the climate and planet does deteriorate to Mad Max levels then it will be bad for all, and the high Chinese population will be to blame. :p

In the end it is less about perceived control, but more about whether the government can fix inequality. It is part of Western cultural narrative to feel fear from being monitored and controlled, but it is not part of the culture in the Mainland at the moment. I feel most people in China could not care less, except some of the wealthy and criminals who wants to take their money out of China and buy all our houses... which the scary communist government is trying to control. Haha

Last edited:
In a 100 years none of us will be here so who gives a shit.
But what about our children and grandchildren?

Read about Islamic Eschatology and be amazed at how it paints the latter days of this earth.

You don't have to be religious to read or even believe it, but it's fascinating nonetheless.
Do you have a link about this? It's been many years since I last got into Islamic Eschatology. I used to lisen to the lectures of Imran Hosein around 2010-2012.

But what about our children and grandchildren?

Do you have a link about this? It's been many years since I last got into Islamic Eschatology. I used to lisen to the lectures of Imran Hosein around 2010-2012.
He's the best one but Hamza Yusuf is equally great as well. It's an overlooked field in today's Islamic Scholastic tradition because it's literally a black pill to swallow for many people.

I'd recommend YouTube but I'll try to.find you written articles about it. Imran became alot better as a teacher of eschatology over the past few years.

He's the best one but Hamza Yusuf is equally great as well. It's an overlooked field in today's Islamic Scholastic tradition because it's literally a black pill to swallow for many people.

I'd recommend YouTube but I'll try to.find you written articles about it. Imran became alot better as a teacher of eschatology over the past few years.

Never heard of Hamza Yusuf but then again I've been out of the loop for years. I'll check both him and Imran. Thanks!

Nah, not global. For every loser there is a winner.

86-170.jpeg.jpg
That quote always stuck with me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sooner or later it is probable to happen.
It's been around 11 years since the last collapse (global financial crisis of stupid money and mortgages). And before that the dot.com bust was about 8 years before that (too much IPO money for internet companies with zero sales).

Collapses happen when there's a good reason. At this point there is no US or global factor that hints the markets are ruined.

There have been a few temporary bumps like Argentina or Greece always wanting IMF money, but even those were ignored. Even Brexit was a non factor.

Who knows what the next big influence is.

Last edited:
It's been around 11 years since the last collapse (global financial crisis of stupid money and mortgages). And before that the dot.com bust was about 8 years before that (too much IPO money for internet companies with zero sales).

Collapses happen when there's a good reason. At this point there is no US or global factor that hints the markets are ruined.

There have been a few temporary bumps like Argentina or Greece always wanting IMF money, but even those were ignored. Even Brexit was a non factor.

Who knows what the next big influence is.

It's not happening because of intervention in the REPO market and the stock market. The markets are being interfered with in ways that they never have been before, and that is why there is no crisis or even recession when history tells us there should be. There are natural financial cycles that go up and down that are the result of rational human choice and resource allocation. We should be in recession.

Top Bottom