• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Global Steam banned in China; store included in the "wall" list along with the community

nush

Oh, I see. That sucks.

Yes, so unless I tell you that Xian City is under lockdown notice or Dongguan city has a Covid outbreak you would never know. I'm sure there must be other places with this issue. But you know China has been huffing their own farts for over a year that they "Beat" Covid #chinanumberone, information that it just pwned them again getting out is not welcomed.

Notabueno

Banned
It's really sad that China had exploding growth and progress from the 80s to the 2000s then right when critical thinking and humanist philosophy was the next cultural step for them to unlock global power status, they went straight backwards by using technology for the worse with no regulations.

Kilau

I doubt it, probably nothing will be changed for the outside world releases. China wants to promote/sell their games while controlling the message inside the country.

Imagine being such a boring person as you are.

And having a reading problems:

Damn, must be rough for you.

Unfortunately for you, I'm not in your guild in FF, you can't ban me for harming your feelings ;_;
2QRqRvv.jpg

Except where you replied to yourself, that will cost you points.

BlackM1st

Banned
I cant read chinese can anyone explain the reason behind this ban
Can be anything, really.

Recently they adopted a new cultural policy, applied some strict rules even to local non political bloggers / celebs.

Plus Olympics is coming soon, so I guess censorship will be extra strict during this period, especially seeing how US already launched its PR attack on Olympics.

But yeah, can be anything, there's no need for any special reasoning for them, they just seek the total control.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Can be anything, really.

Recently they adopted a new cultural policy, applied some strict rules even to local non political bloggers / celebs.

Plus Olympics is coming soon, so I guess censorship will be extra strict during this period, especially seeing how US already launched its PR attack on Olympics.

But yeah, can be anything, there's no need for any special reasoning for them, they just seek the total control.
Very strange government they have there

So they decided to ban Steam store out of nothing?

Goodluck to our fellow chinese gamer

Last edited:

yurinka

I have to ask.. do Chinese gamers know about VPN?
Most Chinese people use VPN to skip the national firewall, it's something mainstream and the goverment doesn't put a lot of effort to stop it.

Why? The thread is obviously about the global version of Steam (it's right there in the first word of the topic). Whether the party-approved local version works or not is irrelevant.
The global version of Steam isn't banned in China. Steam isn't the only one claiming it:

Ok let me die then. How am I supposed to get anything if I am to avoid China made
I'd say all computers, consoles and smartphones are made -or at least most of their components- in China. Or the ones assembled in other countries or using components from other countries, are made using materials or components bought from China. Probably you'd need to go almost full caveman mode if you fully avoid all (directly and indirectly) China made stuff.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Most Chinese people use VPN to skip the national firewall, it's something mainstream and the goverment doesn't put a lot of effort to stop it.

The global version of Steam isn't banned in China. Steam isn't the only one claiming it:

Perhaps. But it's still affected by the tools of the regime, and there are developers who fear that it's gonna happen soon anyway

It's still very worthy of discussion.

Last edited:

yurinka

What games again?
Maybe you heard about Uncharted, The Last of Us, Forza, Halo or Assassin's Creed.

Most AAA games outsource a big part of their job, and a big portion of that goes to Chinese studios. The reason isn't to save money (the cost per worker counting everything like licenses and so on is pretty similar), it's because if you need 400 people working during let's say 6 or 9 months because there's a huge spike, these companies have them and are experienced in many top AAA games. Outsourcing companies in the west instead have way less people.

Many studios don't want to hire (which also means a long hiring process) and a few months later to fire a ton of people.

yurinka

I cant read chinese can anyone explain the reason behind this ban
In USA if you want to sell a physical console game you must get the ESRB age rating certificate, and some retailers only accept certain ratings.

ESRB is private, but in other countries like Germany, Australia or China they have their own age rating certificate ran by the government that is also applied in some cases for digital games, and that process bans certain games (due to feature gory stuff, nazi stuff and other things).

So in the case of China, all games must get this certificate to be sold there. For Steam, while ago they did block the global Steam and did a Chinese version that only features the Steam games that got this Chinese approval. In some cases, these are the same games we play in the other countries. In other cases, they are censored versions made for this country or also for other ones that censor stuff (as an example happens with the Japanese version of all Resident Evil games in all platforms).

So the reason to ban the worldwide Steam and make a Chinese friendly alternative was because the worldwide Steam has thousands of games that didn't get the Chinese approval to publish these games on China. This ban is made with that firewall, than a ton of millions of Chinese people easily skip by using VPNs and to use apps or websites blocked by the firewall.

Last edited:

Filben

Another reason to want less China in games, the industry, the world as a whole. Really, fuck that government.

I have to ask.. do Chinese gamers know about VPN?
I know it's illegal in North Korea so I'd not be surprised if it's in China, too.

nush

this explains why XI is acting paranoid. He wants everything under his control starting with his own people, GAMES MOVIES CELEBS, and even african COUNTRIES.

I can't see the video, my VPN is down. But he's trying to be Mao 2.0 (As if that worked out so great the first time). People in China will put up with that bullshit until they start to lose all the nice things they have gotten in the last decade (Cars, apartments, money western lifestyle). I've already heard about the paranoia, he goes into hiding and thinks assassins might be after him.

Your friendly reminder that there is no such thing as interacting with the CCP without tacit approval of their actions, as there is no Chinese company allowed to exist without the approval of the Chinese Communist Party.

The whole world is complicit in their slave labor

Edit - If you bought virtually anything in the last 20 years, you're complicit as well.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

ba196877506e19ecb75756b9a3a2d89974db8180260e32457e9523f0994d28e8_1.jpg

They have a good reference point. 2 of them I guess. Opium wars and rape of nanjing. Oh, and that small thing called Great Wall of China was built for a reason.

Censorship isn't about isolation, it's about controlling the masses/keeping the system stable. It is US government who tries to isolate China, not CCP.

China building new roads and buys infrastructure all over the world to prevent its isolation. Does it look like an isolationist project:
fetchimage

I feel so bad for chinese people with the government destroying everything. Everyone who supports this country needs to get his head seriously checked. *lol*
I bet you don't have the slightest clue that literally everything you buy is made in China.

The corporations of the West sold their nations to China years ago now. There's no way for someone in the West to live anymore without using or owning something made in China.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
I bet you don't have the slightest clue that literally everything you buy is made in China.

The corporations of the West sold their nations to China years ago now. There's no way for someone in the West to live anymore without using or owning something made in China.

And? Its not my fault that the nations are dumb and dont know better. ;) And everytime i can i buy stuff made by hand and not from China.

If our economies can only work because of China and their fake numbers i prefer to break them all down and rebuild everything from scratch. Corona and other stuff already showing that relying on China for production is not the best idea. Or when the CCP decides to shut down production for one week to save "energy".

I prefer things a bit more expensive but of better quality.

Last edited:
I don’t understand how in basically 2022 we still have governments like the CCP exist.
Because "le current year" was never an argument and because the CCP made the lives of hundreds of millions of Chinese people objectively better.

Obligatory fuck the CCP so people don't call me a China shill :messenger_smirking:. It's just facts.

Top Bottom